PDA

View Full Version : C3PO has two different legs

coronado_g
07-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Just wondering why Star Tours C3PO has one silver leg and one gold leg? The color differences are below the knee and very noticable. Poor thing. I'm willing to donate some $ so he can have matching legs.

Captain Josh
07-02-2006, 12:12 AM
...but that IS how he looked in the original trilogy...

I remember hearing stories about how he originally had two gold legs, but fans complained....so they gave him the silver one.

PapiBear
07-02-2006, 12:12 AM
He's like that in the movies as well. It's just a cosmetic touch to add a little realism to the character. A machine like Threepio having one silver body panel amongst his mostly gold-plated panels makes sense in the Star Wars universe.

Animalia
07-02-2006, 08:24 AM
When Star Tours opened at DL I seem to remember reading that the C3PO in the attraction is one of the costumes actually worn by Anthony Daniels in the films. George Lucas provided it so that imagineers could place it onto an audioanimatronic body. I think it was said that this was the first time the costume was truly filled with wires and circuts instead of an actor.

tod
07-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Two of the premises that George Lucas built the original Star Wars universe on were used space and interchangeable parts. Unlike the shiny new spiffy space travel of the '60s with brand-spankin'-new vehicles, Lucas's operation had old used vehicles. Also interchangeable parts, like automobles that get Frankensteined together from pieces salvaged from wrecked cars.

When C-3PO got taken apart by the Jawas in Star Wars, (if memory serves, I haven't seen it in a long time) he was reconstructed with a silver leg and he has been presented that way ever since.

Good observation, though. I wonder how many people walk by every day and never see that silver leg.

--t