PDA

View Full Version : manual embroidery is gone...

frank828
06-30-2006, 09:28 PM
at dland right now and saw that the main street hat place reopened and now has the automatic embroidery machines now. i'll post pics later when I get home.

Omnitographer
06-30-2006, 11:01 PM
at dland right now and saw that the main street hat place reopened and now has the automatic embroidery machines now. i'll post pics later when I get home.

Considering the embroidering on my cousins mickey ears came loose within a few hours, i can see this as being a good thing.

frank828
07-01-2006, 12:23 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/frank828/Palm

AVP
07-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Three locations inside Disneyland (Hatmosphere, Fantasyland Hatter and Westward Ho) still have the original machines, as do all of the DCA locations.

AVP

hlbtimes2
07-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Three locations inside Disneyland (Hatmosphere, Fantasyland Hatter and Westward Ho) still have the original machines, as do all of the DCA locations.

AVP

But their days are numbered. Its expensive to maintain them. The parts are not available any longer and have to be made special for them.

I will miss them. I love the look and the speed at which they do them. The automated machines take a lot longer.

Dlandmom
07-01-2006, 09:26 AM
I will miss them. I love the look and the speed at which they do them. The automated machines take a lot longer.

I'll have to see what the new ones are like. Once I bought ears for my kids, and the guy was either new or didn't quite have the knack for the embroidery...the writing wasn't the best, shall we say. Anyhow, I'm sure I could've asked them nicely to redo it, but I didn't really want to hurt his feelings....

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
07-01-2006, 09:56 AM
I had two sets of ears done at Briar Patch recently. It took about 4-5 minutes for each hat. There were two hats ahead of ours. The CM was moving the hats in and out as fast as she possibly could. That's going to be really fun in August. :rolleyes:

tod
07-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Takes longer, more expensive, and not as good.

Gotta love "progress."

--t

frank828
07-01-2006, 10:27 AM
im thinking that by having the automatic machines, it would require less staff to run the place. Last night they only had two people running the machines. I'm sure they feel in the long run it will pay off.

MrsG
07-01-2006, 02:10 PM
It will also elliminate the repetative stress injuries caused by the manual machines.

AVP
07-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I'll have to see what the new ones are like.From the June 12th Disneyland Park Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=dl060612xx):

http://albums.mouseplanet.com/DLNOSProcessed/HatEmbroidery1_061106_AVP.jpg

...A quick photo for those who wanted to know the difference between the 'old' method of hat writing, which used modified sewing machines, and the new, which uses computerized a embroidery system. The hat on the left was embroidered with the old machine, the hat on the right with the new.

Dlandmom
07-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks, AVP.

That new one doesn't look so hot.

hlbtimes2
07-01-2006, 09:19 PM
im thinking that by having the automatic machines, it would require less staff to run the place. Last night they only had two people running the machines. I'm sure they feel in the long run it will pay off.

Its really not about it "paying off". Its about availability of repair parts. Those machines are old, and they are used hours on end every day. Parts wear out. They are to the point that they can't just call up and order a new part- they are not longer manufactured. They would have to have them specially made. That takes time and money. The new machines will be easier to get replacement parts for.

coronado_g
07-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Must admit, I like the hat on the left (using the old machine) much better than the one on the right. Has more originality and character.

jswtsang
07-02-2006, 07:16 AM
The left hat does look better but I have in the past gotten a hat that was about on par with the one on the right, basically it varies per person so that's where the character comes from. What a bummer, I loved the hand stitched look, I'm guessing as time goes by no one will have nostalgia for the 'messy handwriting' done by a computer and everyone will have perfect scripted fonts. I haven't looked at all the fonts b/c I always want the hand writing but do they have a Walt Disney handwriting font? That one might be cool...

jt