PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet in Downtown Disney?

DisneyMelissa
06-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Does anyone know if there is wireless internet in Downtown Disney? Specifically I was wondering about ESPN Zone, but also if there are any other locations where one could bring their laptop and work. Thanks in advance.:)

stan4d_steph
06-30-2006, 09:13 AM
The public areas of the Grand Californian Hotel have wireless access.

Darkbeer
06-30-2006, 09:14 AM
Does anyone know if there is wireless internet in Downtown Disney? Specifically I was wondering about ESPN Zone, but also if there are any other locations where one could bring their laptop and work. Thanks in advance.:)

I am pretty sure that there are no WiFi hotspots in Downtown Disney.

The Disneyland hotels (DLH, GCH and PPH) public areas (lobbys, bars and restaurants) do offer free WiFi.

Dlandmom
06-30-2006, 10:28 AM
I once got some spotty service sitting outside the Compass bookstore. I was just working on some offline stuff waiting for a friend and thought I'd see if there was any access. It kind of came and went.

Alex S.
06-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah, so far as I know there is nothing available in Downtown Disney (and none of the establishments are really configured for the kind of lounging that WiFi tends to encourage.

That said, you don't need to go very far in GCH before you'll can connect to the Convention Center router. At the last MouseAdventure I had need to run over there and connect and was able to do so from the Brisa Courtyard (that round area right inside the entrance that hosts banquets; some people may have noticed a spiral pattern in the bricks there).

JeffG
07-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Earthlink is in the process of wiring the entire city of Anaheim for community-wide wi-fi. The first phase of this just went online within the last week or so. From what I've read, the area that includes DLR is expected to go online before the end of the year.

It won't be free, though. From what I read, the rate is around $10/day for non-subscribers.

-Jeff

Alex S.
07-09-2006, 02:14 PM
How far will it extend into private property?

Opus1guy
07-09-2006, 03:00 PM
How far will it extend into private property?

Assuming by "private property" you mean Disney...if Disney does not permit access points within property (no clue there) then it would depend on the type of equipment Earthlink is using. If they are using older systems such as Tropos...then their range would only extend about 600 feet into Disneyland from the nearest city lamppost equipped with an access point. If they are using some of the newest stuff, like the access points from Wavion...then that range could be extended to 1,200 to 1,500 feet.

Of course if Disney hops on board this "muni-WiFi" net as they are called, total and strong signals could be expected anywhere on property.

If by "private property" you mean the average home or office in the covered city...well most folks would receive a signal if the umbrella is set up sufficiently. Some cities that already have this report in some areas some homeowners have had to attach boosters to their WiFi antennas to get the signal. But most get the signal just fine.

The cities usually donate the lampposts and other real estate for the access points, in exchange for comp usage and/or very low or free rates for the needy.

Earthlink has said Anaheim's subscription rate would be $21.95 per month. But there has been talk about teaming with Google for free or highly reduced rates if the customer accepts Google hosted advertising with their browsing.

The attractiveness of this type of service is that it's "naked" WiFi for the homeowner. A person currently using their phone company's DSL service could drop that service and their landline entirely (relying on their cell phone or WiFi phone as their only phone devise)...thus saving money. Don't know how many machines will be allowed on one subscription and if that will be controlled by login or by MAC Address. If only one...well homes with multiple machines running off one DSL or Cable connection...may not find it so attractive.

Any effect of Capacity on Speeds...that will be interesting to see if the net can hold up to folks expectations.