PDA

View Full Version : R&R Coaster vs. California Screamin'

The old man
06-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Do these rides compare in intensity? They seem to both seem to start out with the same propulsion system and speed.

nursemelis374
06-30-2006, 08:15 AM
I think that RNRC is more intense than Screamin'. RNRC goes upside down more times and since it is inside, it seems faster.

bradk
06-30-2006, 08:16 AM
other than the jumpstart, Screamin just basically has that big loop. RNR is pretty much all over the place. I would say RnR is definitely a bit more intense.

TinkerBell26
06-30-2006, 08:41 AM
RnR is more intense in my opinion.

diztrips
06-30-2006, 09:04 AM
It may be more intense but I thought it was quite lame. After I got off of it for the first time I couldn't understand all the hoopla about it.

cosmicjive
06-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Rock'n Rollercoaster is definitely more intense. In addition to the powered launch, it has way more inversions, and because it is built inside a much tighter space, it has tighter turns which generate greater forces.

Also, having recently ridden both rides, I can say without question that Rock'n Rollercoaster *feels* a hellavu lot more intense.

HydroGuy
06-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Just rode RnR a couple weeks ago - 4 times - and it is more intense than Screamin and a better ride, IMO. But Screamin is a fun coaster and definitely worth doing.

The old man
06-30-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm going over to the WDW group to ask what is the most intense ride there. At DLR it has to be CS.

annieb727
06-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Rock N Roller Coaster is definitely more intense!! Best seating of course is in the VERY front...you can see some of the stuff without people in front of you...it makes the ride SO much better (front is best with California Screamin' as well)

HydroGuy
06-30-2006, 01:32 PM
On further thought part of the reason I say RnR is more intense is that it is/seems so compact. You are constantly going from loop to turn to loop to turn. The theming is outstanding BTW. Our only criticism is that RnR is too short by 30-60 seconds.

Screamin has more long, gentle turns and while intense, it does not feel so compact. And it is (or seems like) a longer ride by a couple minutes. Plus you can see what's coming, unlike RnR which has a Space Mtn kind of feel where you cannot see what's next.

Frogberto
06-30-2006, 01:45 PM
The stats for both rides available on the internet (for what it's worth) show that Rock 'n' Rollercoaster accellerates to 5 mph faster than Screamin'.

The old man
06-30-2006, 02:00 PM
The stats for both rides available on the internet (for what it's worth) show that Rock 'n' Rollercoaster accellerates to 5 mph faster than Screamin'.
I guess that and the corkscrews would do me in.

Neon Cactus
06-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Rock N Roller Coaster is definitely more intense. It's a lot of fun, though. California Screamin' is one of the smoothest roller coasters I've ever been on.

ralfrick
07-01-2006, 07:48 AM
The main difference in coaster geek terms is that CS has a lot of points with negative G's, while RnRC has none. On RnRC however, there are much stronger positive and lateral G's.

HydroGuy is correct in length: RnRC has 3,400 feet of track, CS has 6,072, which is one of the longest steel tracks in existence. It may be the longest, I know when it opened it held some record on length.

Like most coasters, the best ride on each is in the back.

Cheers.

TinkerBell26
07-01-2006, 08:46 AM

Cheers.

Yes, thats where you get the most "Air Time"

mckyfoto
07-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Yes, thats where you get the most "Air Time"

the RRC... 2nd to the back seat is best (mostly - for eye view [not blocked by the headrest of the rider in front of you] and leg room too!). there are some parts of that attraction that 'light up/come alive' as the coaster goes into that section of the track. you get more of that visual if you are in the back - if you are in the front... you pass it before it's full impact.

TinkerBell26
07-01-2006, 08:58 AM
the RRC... 2nd to the back seat is best (mostly - for eye view [not blocked by the headrest of the rider in front of you] and leg room too!). there are some parts of that attraction that 'light up/come alive' as the coaster goes into that section of the track. you get more of that visual if you are in the back - if you are in the front... you pass it before it's full impact.

Still Its mostly towards the back, which is where I usually end up sitting on roller coasters.

annieb727
07-01-2006, 09:00 AM

Cheers.

Yeah...back FEELS faster doesn't it...though the FRONT -- the effect of seeing everything -- i have to do both (several times)

HAHA...when I was at DCA, I asked the CM - is it faster in the back? He said, I hope not, otherwise it wouldn't be in the back anymore...hahaha....I meant (obviously) does it FEEL faster...LOL

ralfrick
07-01-2006, 09:46 AM
When the front goes over a hill, the weight from the back of the train slows it down a bit. However, when the back gets to the top of that hill, the front is accelerating down the hill, and pulling the back over the top. Front seats often hesitate when cresting hill or loops; back seats don't.

Some coasters do have an appeal from the front. Scream/Medusa comes to mind, Riddler's Revenge is good, too. V2 at MW is one I prefer the front, but it's not a traditional coaster powered by gravity. Without question, the most intense front seat I've experienced is Fire Dragon at IOA.

Cheers.

Disney Vault
07-03-2006, 05:48 PM
I really liked the story of RnRC but it was just too short. It is around 80 seconds long. Screamin' is such a fun long rollercoaster I think most of the family could enjoy together. But I agree RnRC is more intense but I still prefer CS.

Bizarro Joker
07-09-2006, 02:57 AM
Is there any truth to the rumors I have heard lately about DCA posibly a version of the Rock and Roller coaster(And possibly a version of Test Track except the cars would look like the cars from "Cars"and a name change of the ride to reflect that change.Suposedly the ride itself would be the same except for the cosmetic difference).

Disney Vault
07-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Is there any truth to the rumors I have heard lately about DCA posibly a version of the Rock and Roller coaster(And possibly a version of Test Track except the cars would look like the cars from "Cars"and a name change of the ride to reflect that change.Suposedly the ride itself would be the same except for the cosmetic difference).
I don't think we will ever see Rock N' Rollercoaster and that was just a rumor started by who knows who. But they were thinking about a Cars test track ride. But now they have stopped with that and are trying to work out the problems with an incredibles ride that uses some new technology like the robo coaster.

jcruise86
07-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Sorry I duplicated this message!

jcruise86
07-09-2006, 02:39 PM
I thought the R&R had embarrassingly cheap-looking effects that distracted me from the ride itself, and were unworthy of a Disney park. I agree that C.S. in DCA is wonderfully smooth--and the outdoor visuals were much more enjoyable. The fact that the coasters at Cedar Point are so SCENIC is one reason why that park gets better reviews than Magic Mountain. Good visuals (Space Mtn, Big Thunder--esp. at night, and Cedar Point's Magnum), make coasters even more uplifting.

HydroGuy
07-09-2006, 02:47 PM
I don't think we will ever see Rock N' Rollercoaster and that was just a rumor started by who knows who. But they were thinking about a Cars test track ride. But now they have stopped with that and are trying to work out the problems with an incredibles ride that uses some new technology like the robo coaster.During my first visit ever to WDW last month I rode RnR four times. That was one of our favorites at all of WDW. And I was thinking, wow, this ride belongs at DCA. The whole thing takes place in California as far as the theming is concerned. I have never read anything on whether RnR was considered for DCA and why it was not pursued. Does any one have any information on this?