PDA

View Full Version : What I miss at Disneyland.

Pages : [1] 2 3

zombie pirate
06-30-2006, 07:20 AM
I been going to Disneyland since the mid-1970s, This thread is on the things that are no longer at Disneyland, or on your trip to disneyland that you really miss. I miss the ride from San Diego when they had orange trees for miles along the freeway in orange county, Seeing the matterhorn for the 1st time from the freeway, knowing your allmost there,What I really miss is the old parking lot, sorry some people like the California Adventure, I dont. I miss the named sections of the parking lot, Believe me it was one huge parking lot, catching the trams to the ticket booths, I wished that they would of double the size of Disneyland, Have all new lands instead of the California adventure. Does anyone remember looking for your car while riding the monerial on its way to the the Disneyland Hotel? What do you miss?

mowsluver
06-30-2006, 07:56 AM
This is crazy but way back when, we would order meals and get plastic keepsake cups. Not the chintzy ones they have now, but real, sturdy cups with handles! I hated carrying those around all day but I still use them at home all these years later! I have some (boot shaped) from the Golden Horseshoe, from Hungry Bear Rest, etc.
Not even sure of WHEN we got them, but have been going there for 16 years now and it was a long time ago that we got them....

doombuggy driver
06-30-2006, 07:58 AM
I miss the Country Bear Jamboree and The Submarine Voyage. (although we will be riding the submarines again next year!)

TinkerBell26
06-30-2006, 08:43 AM
I miss the huge parking lot, and the submarine voyage

dlandnut
06-30-2006, 08:49 AM
I miss Country Bear Jamboree, PeopleMover, Tahitian Terrace, Swiss Family Tree House, the ship that was in Fantastyland where you could get great clam chowder (why can't I remember the name of that?, lol), the Monorail Cafe at the DL Hotel, American Sings, and Captain EO (I know, a bit controversial to say, but I still liked the darn thing). :)

Lekta
06-30-2006, 08:49 AM
I miss the submarine voyage. What I miss most is just being there though....:crying: :crying: :crying:

magicpointeshoe
06-30-2006, 09:04 AM
1. the old disneyland sign
2. Carnation cafe before it got changed to part coffee bar, when they served realy cherry, vanilla and chocolate cokes.
3. Country bears
4. Big Thunder BBQ
5. The skyway

HTanner
06-30-2006, 09:16 AM
Strawberry waffles at Riverbelle Terrace
Big Thunder BBQ - especially the drinks in the glass mason jars
The skyway
Peoplemover
Circle Vision - especially the nicely air conditioned waiting area where you could lay down (when not crowded) on the comfy benches and cool off
The walk from your car through the ticket booths
When staying at the DL Hotel was the ULTIMATE dream
The fruit salad at Blue Bayou (with choice of sherbet!)

I'm sure I have more!

shawnarae
06-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Skyway
Country Bear Jamboree
SWISS FAMILY TREE HOUSE :crying: :( :crying:

Jewel of Orleans
06-30-2006, 09:41 AM
I have read that there was once a locksmith shop on Main Street. This would have been when there was no admission charge and everybody just paid for what they wanted to ride, eat, or take home with them. My older son is a locksmith, and I've always thought that working out of Main Street U.S.A. at Disneyland would have been such an incredible way for him to ply his trade!

amarvel
06-30-2006, 09:42 AM
i also miss the old sign, as soon as i saw that i ha that warm fuzzy feeling. and i also loved the big parking lot and the old monorail speil about trying to find your car :)

wishIwasthe_Mouse
06-30-2006, 09:43 AM
I so miss all the orange trees from SD to DL. i used to try and see down each isle as a kid when we would drive up. know i just get to see a lot of concreate on the drive up not much fun :P but it is still worth the drive.

ktrm
06-30-2006, 09:51 AM
I miss Adventures through Inner Space. Remember being in the building and seeing all the people "shrink" in the giant microscope or whatever it was? When I was a kid this was so realistic to me that I never even questioned it. This ride shrunk me to microscopic size somehow. I never doubted it for a second.

disneyperson
06-30-2006, 10:04 AM
I miss
Rod Miller
The Old Main Street stores
the Penny Arcade
Adventure Thru Inner Space
The Skyway
Country Bear Jamboree
The flea bitten black panther that the train used to pass. I get a little sad when I see his empty rock.
the flaming cabin
The old Trader Sam.

The old man
06-30-2006, 10:05 AM
I miss Adventures through Inner Space. Remember being in the building and seeing all the people "shrink" in the giant microscope or whatever it was? When I was a kid this was so realistic to me that I never even questioned it. This ride shrunk me to microscopic size somehow. I never doubted it for a second.
I recently purchased Steve Wesson's astounding CG recreation of this ride. Every detail is amazing and the soundtrack is wonderful. I sat up close to our big screen TV with my wife and 8 year old daughter to watch it. We sat close together--as if in those vehicles and tried to simulate the bumps as the seats on the screen swiveled.

At the end my daugther said in a plaintive voice, "Why did they tear that down...it's a wonderful ride?"

It sure was.

averagedork
06-30-2006, 10:05 AM
I miss going with my grandma/nana to the Carnation Cafe. Sitting outside, her complaining that she doesn't have a lot of time to wait for food. Never understood what she meant until I was older.

zombie pirate
06-30-2006, 10:15 AM
1. the old disneyland sign
2. Carnation cafe before it got changed to part coffee bar, when they served realy cherry, vanilla and chocolate cokes.
3. Country bears
4. Big Thunder BBQ
5. The skyway
Chocolate coke, I want one right now.

disneyperson
06-30-2006, 10:19 AM
mmmmmm, chocolate coke.
Now I want one.

christina
06-30-2006, 10:19 AM
I miss the Peoplemover!!! It was such a nice way to relax for a little while and enjoy the park from a different perspective. Very sad to see the track just sitting there empty wasting away.:crying:
Carousel of Progress or even America Sings too. I can't stand innoventions.

mad4mky
06-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Peoplemover.

It was a great long 'rest'...while you rode.

Also...I miss the Skyway. Dang...now I have to walkall the way from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland!;)

I miss Skull Rock. And the Pirate ship.:crying:

I miss 'America Sings' :(

Jewel of Orleans
06-30-2006, 11:40 AM
The submarine ride was the best toddler chill-out in the entire park - so peaceful and mesmerizing and restful. It was a wonderful escape from heat and crowds and too-much-thrill. Another world altogether. Everybody exited completely refreshed and ready for more heat, crowds and thrill.

It also had the excellent characteristic, like much of original Disney, of being a representation of basic human imagination (mermaids! sunken treasure! the lost city of Atlantis!) rather than just one more merchandising opportunity.

shawnarae
06-30-2006, 01:16 PM
OH YES, the old Disneyland Sign. I miss that too. I'd see it and think "I am here!"

I wonder if the day will come when they ask John Stamos (very nice and for lots of $$$) to sell it back to them. Like for their 100th Celebration. How cool would that be?

Hopefully in his will he has it being donated back to Disneyland, I mean one day they'd want it for something, right? That sign was just so perfect :crying:

PapiBear
06-30-2006, 02:52 PM
I miss pretty much everything that's been mentioned up to now (thanks for mentioning the orange groves, what's Orange County without orange groves?).

I also miss being able to go to Tom Sawyer Island, the Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland, getting my caricature done in Fantasyland back near It's A Small World, Mission to Mars, ticket books, and the low prices.

Susan L
06-30-2006, 03:09 PM
I miss, the Sky Way, the Country Bears, the Subs, and I miss how the CM's in all the lands use to stay in character as to the ride or area that they were working in.

shawnarae
06-30-2006, 03:24 PM
I second the low prices ;)