PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Columbia?

tbminnie
06-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Why not take the Pirates a little farther and add them Cast member pirates on the Columbia? The guests could interact with them or maybe the pirates could take over the ship during the trip and change the flag when they have secured the ship! :geek:

Darkbeer
06-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Why not take the Pirates a little farther and add them Cast member pirates on the Columbia? The guests could interact with them or maybe the pirates could take over the ship during the trip and change the flag when they have secured the ship! :geek:

They are, starting July 7th....

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=58011

The cunning and crafty Captain Jack Sparrow has arrived at Disneyland and several of his sly and clever mates have joined him. They will all be roaming throughout New Orleans Square, near the newly enhanced Pirates of Caribbean adventure, to recruit new pirates, loot the city and overtake the main land beginning July 7.

As part of today’s celebration of the world premiere of Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest and the reopening of the Pirates of Caribbean attraction that features the additions of Captain Jack Sparrow, Barbossa and Davy Jones, 11 shrewd and brash pirates who have crossed the seas with Captain Jack Sparrow will wander in New Orleans Square. They will provide swashbuckling adventures and interactive experiences for Disneyland Guests throughout the summer.

“Our pirates all have detailed back stories that connect them to both the attraction and the films,” said Glenn Kelman, Disneyland Resort entertainment show director. “It’s been fun to create characters that can relate to both worlds.”

Unique entertainment offerings include The Bootstrappers, a sorry lot of deadbeat musicians, who will perform a medley of sea chanteys and snippets of Disney tunes in New Orleans Square in order to pay off their debt to the Faithful Bride Tavern’s owner; the Bilge Rats, a band of cursed pirates who recently escaped from the attraction, will entertain and amuse Guests visiting New Orleans Square; and Captain Jack Sparrow himself will mingle with Guests.

The Sailing Ship Columbia – and its Guests – isn’t safe from a pirate’s siege either. Guests aboard the ship will be surprised when a scheming and wily pirate, in search of loot, overtakes the ship each time she sets sail. On this voyage, Guests will find out about the ins-and-outs of a pirate’s life, learn the secret pirates oath and how to live by their moral code.

tbminnie
06-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Funny! I did not know that!

wvnative
06-28-2006, 01:52 PM
I'll have to see if I can talk the girls into taking that ship tour without telling htem about the pirates. Although, they may be done with that by the time we go in Oct.

pisces
06-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Let's just hope that this means the ship will sail a bit more often than she has in the past.

She's been in dry-dock a bit too much, IMHO

Never on weekdays, never during off-season, never during early morning, never during the fireworks, forget boarding during Fantasmic, or at least 2 hours before... etc etc etc.....

It's been tough, in the past, to find times when the Columbia is actually up and running.

The Mark Twain runs more frequently, though. Not as exciting as the Columbia Imho.

potzbie
07-02-2006, 09:40 PM
The MousePlanet weekly update of Disneyland Park says that the "Saling Ship COLUMBIA" will be down, and then up, with some kind of new "pirate" motif.

The MousePlanet maintenance page shows this for the "down" dates:
June 17 - June 28, 2006, for decoration and then removal of decoration related to premiere of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

The DL "guide" you get at the entrance gate says COLUMBIA runs "weekends and selected seasons only."

I see that as of today (when I am posting this, Sunday July 2, 2006), no one has posted anything about COLUMBIA in the "subject title" of any recent posting.

Well? Has any MousePlanet regular been on COLUMBIA since the "upgrade"?
Has anyone mentioned COLUMBIA in their trip report?
Is it "up"?
Has the first "maiden voyage" of the new motif been completed?
Is it "new and improved"?
Is it worth a special trip?
Is it rated thumbs UP or thumbs DOWN?
Or, should we form a committee and lay down flowers? :(

What???

I Heart Disneyland!
07-02-2006, 09:41 PM
It was made into the Black Pearl for last week's premiere, but, other than that...I've not a clue what's up with it.

potzbie
07-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Dang!

I see that someone DID post a thread titled "Jack and Pirates in New Orleans Square" while I was typing up my post.

(Five minutes apart! Timing is everything!)

Well, I still want a "Rotten Tomatoes" rating on the change:
• Good?
• Bad?
• Ugly?
• Don't know / Don't care?

RStar
07-03-2006, 07:11 AM
They forgot/ didn't bother to remove the June part of the schedual. It through me off at first too, until I realized this is July! I've been off work since May 22nd for surgery and can't keep track of the day of week much less the month!:eek:

I'm planning a "Pirates" trip to the park soon. I haven't seen the ride yet, so with that, the stage show (sounds like there are two versions), the Columbia 'Pirate's take over', and Captian Jack Sparrow meet-n-greet, it should be a fun day!

~Bob

daisylovesdk
07-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi all....Im a newbie here so I wasnt sure to post this.....I live near the LA harbor and I saw her yesterday.....just wanted to share

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/articles/3387361.html

Tinkermommy
07-21-2006, 09:19 AM
The MousePlanet weekly update of Disneyland Park says that the "Saling Ship COLUMBIA" will be down, and then up, with some kind of new "pirate" motif.

Well? Has any MousePlanet regular been on COLUMBIA since the "upgrade"?
Has anyone mentioned COLUMBIA in their trip report?
Is it "up"?
Has the first "maiden voyage" of the new motif been completed?
Is it "new and improved"?
Is it worth a special trip?
Is it rated thumbs UP or thumbs DOWN?

I didn't see an answer to this, so here goes. Rode it Monday (7/17). It's new and improved in that there is a character who puts on a "show" throughout the trip around the island. It's a pirate who takes over the ship, basically by making an announcement that he's doing just that.

There is music, dancing, audience participation, cannon fire, flag-waving, and some interaction with things and people on shore, both on the island and in NOS.

Was it worth a special trip to Disneyland? Nah. Is it worth doing on a regularly-scheduled trip to Disneyland? Heck, yes. It's different, entertaining, kinda funny, and my little one loved it. Hint: if you ride, position yourself at the front of the ship. That's where virtually all of the action takes place.

I give it a thumbs-up for being new, cute, and a great tie-in with all the other pirate stuff going on.

ScrapKat
07-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Is this (the pirates overtaking the Columbia) an indefinite thing? We'll be going next month and I'd love to know if they'll still be doing this. Sounds fun! :)

Darkbeer
07-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Is this (the pirates overtaking the Columbia) an indefinite thing? We'll be going next month and I'd love to know if they'll still be doing this.

Really unknown, the Press Release mentioned thru Summer, which means until late August.

But if it is popular, it might stay longer......

Frogberto
07-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Really unknown, the Press Release mentioned thru Summer, which means until late August.

But if it is popular, it might stay longer......

I hope it does, but my feelings from riding it a couple of times is that most people don't even know about it. Hard to say how "popular" it is.

That darned Jack Sparrow imitator is taking up all the publicity!