PDA

View Full Version : Have any of the classic rides offended anyone?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

zombie pirate
06-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Since the new re-done Pirates of the Carribean opened, I got a question mainly aimed at the ladies out there. Has any of the parts of the old classic POTC offended you? The wrench auction, pirates chashing girls around in circles, the young lady hidding in the barrel from the drunken fat pirate. It had been around since the late 1960s, I honestly have heard no one complain about it not being PC. Does any attractions have anything that would offend anyone. My kid is doing a summer school report on it. I think its a pretty intresting question. One that I never heard addressed, and I have been going to Disneyland since the E-ticket days as a kid.

tbminnie
06-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Nope! It may not be a 100% accurate, but stuff like this happened in history no matter how we try to hide it. (IMHO)

disneyperson
06-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Well, I get kind of ticked off at the end of Snow White's Scary Adventures when those pesky dwarves force that poor old lady off the cliff. Is it so wrong to encouage a diet that includes more fruit?

Seriously though, I didn't much care for the fat disgusting pirate asking for the guests' help to find the girl hiding in the barrel so he could rape her. His offer of "I be willing to share I be." used to gross me out."
That said. They are pirates. They do what pirates do.

Niwel
06-28-2006, 01:15 PM
I guess some people might be offended by some scenes in Pinocchio (Pleasure Island: smoking, drinking pool hall) or Mr. Toad (saloon, jail, hell). But they were all in the movie.

I'm slightly bugged (I wouldn't use the word offended) that Small World doesn't have Israel represented like they do in WDW.

zombie pirate
06-28-2006, 01:34 PM
I guess some people might be offended by some scenes in Pinocchio (Pleasure Island: smoking, drinking pool hall) or Mr. Toad (saloon, jail, hell). But they were all in the movie.

I'm slightly bugged (I wouldn't use the word offended) that Small World doesn't have Israel represented like they do in WDW.
I never knew that about small world, thank you for the intresting info. But I got to ask, Does the small world song bug you more?

disneyperson
06-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Didn't they used to? I swear I remember a very small scene done in blue and white. I agree it should be represented.

Niwel
06-28-2006, 01:39 PM
But I got to ask, Does the small world song bug you more?

Nah ... I actually don't mind the song too much (I can block it out if I have too). I think Yo Ho! is actually far more repetitive (how many words can you use for "rob"?) :)

Tinkermommy
06-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Since the new re-done Pirates of the Carribean opened, I got a question mainly aimed at the ladies out there. Has any of the parts of the old classic POTC offended you?

Nah. I think they had good intentions, though. When they redid it to make it PC, I wrote new words to the song poking fun at the changes. Wanna see 'em?

disneyhound
06-28-2006, 02:07 PM
...Snow White's Scary Adventures...Is it so wrong to encouage a diet that includes more fruit?...

yuck yuck yuck... ;)

amarvel
06-28-2006, 02:38 PM
No it doesnt offend because its set during a different time era, during that time era, that is how things were....in fact i thought the 1997 changes were lame....

doombuggy driver
06-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Nah. I think they had good intentions, though. When they redid it to make it PC, I wrote new words to the song poking fun at the changes. Wanna see 'em?
I always change lyrics in songs, I would love to hear you new lyrics to the PC POTC.

If people get offended on certain rides than they should not go on that ride! It's not real people!!!!! My DD who is 5 rides everything and is never scared or embarrased by anything. She likes that it gets hot in hell on Mr. Toads and pleasure island is her favorite part of the Pinocchio song.

disneyperson
06-28-2006, 04:39 PM
The only thing I don't like about going to hell in Mr Toad's wild Ride is that my glasses fog up and my DD laughs at me. I love those cute little devils.

disney jones
06-28-2006, 06:06 PM
I guess some people might be offended by some scenes in Pinocchio (Pleasure Island: smoking, drinking pool hall) or Mr. Toad (saloon, jail, hell). But they were all in the movie. i didn't think hell was in the Mr. Toad short - could be wrong.

I'm slightly bugged (I wouldn't use the word offended) that Small World doesn't have Israel represented like they do in WDW.i've noticed this and it bugs me too (its the thing i thought of when i saw this thread). i haven't seen the WDW version so i can't compare, but there is that one dude in DLR playing a flute-type instrument with his sheep, in with the rest of the middle easterners - i've always wondered if that counted (?)

Micki0624
06-28-2006, 06:21 PM
After listening to my DL 50th CD set the track for Nature's Wonderland had some dialogue that can be offensive to the wrong person. I thought they were funny.

Even in Carousel of Progress there were comments like "Mother has ironing to fill in her time at night." Everytime we listen to that I turn to my husband and make a comment to the effect that he could never make me do that, as a joke.

When at WDW and going to Country Bears there's a song that I laughed at but can be seen as "bad." The lyric was "Mama don't whoop little Beauford anymore."

I think it's funny, but as for women who grew up in times when there was a struggle for women's rights I can see there point of view.

I Heart Disneyland!
06-28-2006, 08:11 PM
I never did understand the whole switcheroo in POTC for PC-ness. I was never offended nor have I spoken to a person who was offended. Puhleeze people...these are Disney rides for heaven's sake! (Although, I will give Niwel the one of no Israel being represented in IASW, that, to me, is a valid complaint.) I am more offended that in Snow White, there is all of this chaos happening and all of a sudden..."And they all lived happily ever after". haha! I want that to happen in REAL life!

Leli
06-28-2006, 08:22 PM
I always thought it was funny how Stromboli says, "he's always making a jackass out of himself" on Pinocchio.

Tinkermommy
06-28-2006, 08:41 PM
I always change lyrics in songs, I would love to hear you new lyrics to the PC POTC.

Okay, with apologies to the guys who wrote the real thing, here's my PC refurb version:

In the good ‘ole days, when men could be rogues
and a wench was still a wench,
us pirates was free to pillage and loot,
then drink rum, our great thirst to quench.
Yo ho, yo ho, ‘twas a pirate’s life for me.

In sixty-seven a guy named “Walt” –
drink up, mehearties, to he
who gave pirates a village to flame and ignite,
“bad eggs” we were free to be!
Yo ho, the dough, how the tourists flocked to see.

Then the nineties came and pirates could not be
the cads we used to be.
Instead of skirts, we now chase food
to indulge in mere gluttony.
Yo ho, uh-oh, it’s obese we soon will be.

We still guzzle rum and burn the place up
(drink up, mehearties, yo ho!) --
Well, that is until somebody decides
those vices, too, have to go!
Yo ho, oh no, it’s not real, it’s a ride, can’t they see?

Yo ho, mehearties, in this changing world,
what’s a pirate s’posed to do?
Drink milk from the carton, drive really fast,
Leave the lid on the toilet up too?
Yo ho, and so, what’s a pirate’s destiny?
Yo ho, don’t go, we’re still rascals, can’t you see?
Yo ho, yo ho, we’re still pirates -- just P.C.

:p

TTFN92
06-28-2006, 09:22 PM
No, I am not offended by Pirates. Well, maybe by the stupid food chasing scenes, but not anything else. We can't rewrite history. It is what it is. As for IASW, I'm amazed that you could figure out that a country wasn't represented. When I am on that ride, I sort of lump things together, like the Polynesian section would be all the Pacific islands lumped together. I also just think of the Middle East, not specific countries. I also wouldn't think that all the Eastern European countries are represented. I could be wrong though since I don't have the knowlege to be able to pick them out one by one. And are all the Asian countries represented? I can kind of make the difference between China and Japan, but is Korea there? When I am looking at all the different countries, I pick out many countries, but others I think of more as areas and lump them together. Also, the world was different at the time it was made and WDWs was made at a completely different time in our world too. That could be the reason, maybe, maybe not. And about the Snow White ride. It just offends me that she isn't in it more than the beginning and last picture. It is the SNOW WHITE ride after all, not the 7 Dwarfs ride ;) . And I wished that they would have tied it together at the end, like having her in the glass casket with the Prince kissing her :) .

But, people who get offended by Disneyland rides really need a hobby or something. I have better things in life to worry about than that.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Okay, with apologies to the guys who wrote the real thing, here's my PC refurb version: :p
LOVE IT!

jdee
06-28-2006, 09:24 PM
I was never offended, I like the orginal POTCB, better than the PC version. Can't wait to see the new changes.

Squeaky
06-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Okay, with apologies to the guys who wrote the real thing, here's my PC refurb version...
:p

LOL LOVE it tinkermommy!

John
06-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Okay, with apologies to the guys who wrote the real thing, here's my PC refurb version:
Thunderous applause!

MAD Magazine could not have done better!

Frogberto
06-29-2006, 12:09 AM
People, probably native americans in particular, were offended by the burning log cabin and settler with an arrow in him observeable from the Rivers of America. They changed that and added recorded shpiel from the Mark Twain that the settler had now got drunk and set his cabin on fire, rather than suggest he was the victim of an indigenous attack.

zombie pirate
06-29-2006, 04:29 AM
After listening to my DL 50th CD set the track for Nature's Wonderland had some dialogue that can be offensive to the wrong person. I thought they were funny.

Even in Carousel of Progress there were comments like "Mother has ironing to fill in her time at night." Everytime we listen to that I turn to my husband and make a comment to the effect that he could never make me do that, as a joke.

When at WDW and going to Country Bears there's a song that I laughed at but can be seen as "bad." The lyric was "Mama don't whoop little Beauford anymore."

I think it's funny, but as for women who grew up in times when there was a struggle for women's rights I can see there point of view.
Carousel of progress sort of like june cleaver deal in leave it to beaver. I talk to my mom last night she told me a funny story about womens right, she went to college in the late 1960s, had the hippie mentallity, she actually burned her bra at a womens rights rally at ucla, but all the girls burned thier old ones, less expensive. My wife got a big kick out of that story.

stan4d_steph
06-29-2006, 06:02 AM
I talk to my mom last night she told me a funny story about womens right, she went to college in the late 1960s, had the hippie mentallity, she actually burned her bra at a womens rights rally at ucla, but all the girls burned thier old ones, less expensive. My wife got a big kick out of that story.Ahem. Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/history/american/burnbra.htm).