PDA

View Full Version : We Need Help!

Mad Hatter
04-29-2002, 10:27 AM
To all that visit this site, We need everyone to get as many people to write to Disneyland and pettition them to update and bring back the submarines( i know that they cant run due to ada laws), how about an up dated version done to atlantis with the Leviathon coming after you instead of the sea serpant? If enough of us get their attention maybe it will be back.:mad:

awinner
04-29-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Mad Hatter
To all that visit this site, We need everyone to get as many people to write to Disneyland and pettition them to update and bring back the submarines( i know that they cant run due to ada laws), how about an up dated version done to atlantis with the Leviathon coming after you instead of the sea serpant? If enough of us get their attention maybe it will be back.:mad:

what ada laws are you talking about?

Uncle Dick
04-29-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by awinner

what ada laws are you talking about?
I believe it has something to do with the whole "Equal Access" thing. Due to the way the Submarine Voyage loaded, there was really no way for wheelchair-bound guests to board, without getting out of their chairs and basically walking down stairs in a very small, enclosed space. Any other ride at Disneyland has some way for disabled guests to either experience the attraction from their wheelchair, or transfer directly from their wheelchair to the ride vehicle. (I'm not sure how rides like the Sailing Ship Columbia work, but I'm sure it's easier to get up those stairs than down into the submarines.)

At any rate, I don't think the whole "disability" thing is the true reason for the subs closure. As I understand, the limited capacity and high costs associated with it's operation were the factors that led to it's demise.

Ghoulish Delight
04-29-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

At any rate, I don't think the whole "disability" thing is the true reason for the subs closure. As I understand, the limited capacity and high costs associated with it's operation were the factors that led to it's demise. Yes, but it would be a major stumbling block to its reopening (not that I see that happening anyway). Because the ride was built before ADA was passed, it was exempt while it was running (ex post facto). However, if they try to reopen it at this point, someone would probably find a way to technically make them fall under ADA with it.

While I appreciated the Subs, there are far better things to spend their time and money on in Tomorrowland. And I don't feel like beating a dead horse, so I'll just leave it at that.

MammaSilva
04-29-2002, 02:18 PM
heck I'd appreciate a little PAINT in tommorowland :( and as for ADA and the subs, I'd leave that to Tony, our resident expert on the ADA issues, there are some things that are exempt because they just "can't" be made ADA, I don't know if a 'new' sub ride would fall into that catagory but my money says tony or AVP would know.....

Uncle Dick
04-29-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Yes, but it would be a major stumbling block to its reopening (not that I see that happening anyway). Because the ride was built before ADA was passed, it was exempt while it was running (ex post facto). However, if they try to reopen it at this point, someone would probably find a way to technically make them fall under ADA with it.

What about King Arthur's Carousel? Isn't it currently undergoing an extensive rehab to allow disabled access? Hmmmm....

Tony
04-29-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
heck I'd appreciate a little PAINT in tommorowland :( and as for ADA and the subs, I'd leave that to Tony, our resident expert on the ADA issues, there are some things that are exempt because they just "can't" be made ADA, I don't know if a 'new' sub ride would fall into that catagory but my money says tony or AVP would know.....

The subs were not closed because of the ADA requirements - they were closed in order to free up staffing funding for Innoventions. Several Disney managers I have spoken with have confirmed that.

Ghoulish: Rides that were in operation prior to the ADA's passage are not exempt from the accessibility requirements. The myth of a "grandfather" clause (saying that existing facilities are exempted from accessibility requirements) - is just that: a myth. Believe me - the additions of the accessible boat on Small World and the soon to arrive accessible boat on the Jungle Cruise are not being done out of the goodness of Disney's heart. They are going in because they are required to.

The relevant requirement for accessibility is that facilities must be made accessible so long as it is "readily achievable." What that phrase actually means is one of the great ambiguities in the law - one of the key factors in determining whether something is readily achievable is the resources of the company. Generally, Disney will be held to a much higher standard than a mom-and-pop carousel at your local park.

In the case of the subs, it is my opinion (and only my opinion) that they would probably have been excused from requirements to make them accessible given the fundamental nature of the ride. Making the modifications would be extremely costly and difficult - your talking about cutting a new hatch, installing some type of lift system, etc. It is about a readily achievable as making the treehouse wheelchair accessible. It can be done, but the costs would be so prohibitive as to be silly.

Tony
04-29-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

What about King Arthur's Carousel? Isn't it currently undergoing an extensive rehab to allow disabled access? Hmmmm....

The rehab of the carousel is not solely related to the need for access. It is in rehab because to put it bluntly, it was falling apart. They are taking the time to do the retrofit for accessibility, because they have the time and the finds to do the rehab work.

Disney likes to drag their feet on everything related to accessibility - they typically only move when they are forced to. It was only a few years ago that they finally made City Hall accessible. It used to be, if you were physically disabled, you had no way to access the building. There was no ramp, etc.

Mad Hatter
04-29-2002, 10:48 PM
staffing for inoventions is by entertainment not attractions