PDA

View Full Version : Dead Men Do Tell Tales! Behind-the-Secrets of Pirates of the Carribbean at Disneyland

Darkbeer
06-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Disneyland Resort Press Release

DEAD MEN DO TELL TALES! BEHIND-THE-SECRETS OF PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN AT DISNEYLAND IN CALIFORNIA

Original Version of Attraction Steeped in Back-Story and Trivia

Since its debut at Disneyland in California in 1967 the rollicking fun of Walt Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean adventure has thrilled guests from around the world. It is an immersive and engaging entertainment experience steeped in detail. Here are just a few of the fun facts and trivia associated with one of Walt Disney’s greatest entertainment achievements.

DISNEYLAND PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN SECRETS

· Pirates of the Caribbean was the last Disneyland attraction personally supervised by Walt Disney.

· The attraction was originally envisioned as a New Orleans-themed Blue Bayou Mart featuring a Pirate Wax Museum, housed in a 70-foot deep basement. The basement now serves as the grotto section of the attraction.

· Pirates of the Caribbean was loosely inspired by such Hollywood films as Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk and The Buccaneer, plus Disney’s Treasure Island, Kidnapped and Swiss Family Robinson.

· The fire effects in the Burning Town scene were so realistic that prior to the attraction’s grand opening the Anaheim Fire Chief asked that the effects automatically shut off in the event of a real fire.

· The attraction opened to the public at Disneyland on March 18, 1967, with an official grand opening on April 19.

· It cost $15 million to build New Orleans Square ($8 million of which was spent on Pirates of the Caribbean). This is equal to the amount the United States paid for the real New Orleans in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803

· The façade of the attraction was partly inspired by the Cabildo building in Jackson Square in New Orleans that served as the seat of the Spanish colonial government in 1799. It is also noted for being the site where the Louisiana Purchase was signed in 1803.

· The attraction is housed within two large show buildings totaling 112,826 feet and featuring 750,000 gallons of water that flow through a 1,838-foot canal.

· There are approximately 122 animated characters (68 lifelike humans and 54 animated animals) in the Audio Animatronics cast of Pirates of the Caribbean.

· Disney Imagineer X Atencio, who wrote the attraction’s memorable title tune – “Yo-Ho (A Pirate’s Life for Me),” is the voice of the Jolly Roger skull and crossbones before you plunge down the waterfalls.

· The film Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl had its world-premiere on June 28, 2003, at Disneyland in California and featured the longest red carpet in history (trailing from Main Street into New Orleans Square

coronado_g
06-25-2006, 06:19 PM
This is sooo exciting - waiting to hear about the refurbished Pirates ride. I plan to get up EARLY Monday morning to watch the news!

wlc
06-25-2006, 06:25 PM
This is sooo exciting - waiting to hear about the refurbished Pirates ride. I plan to get up EARLY Monday morning to watch the news!

You can find plenty of news/information on it soon.. many of us rode it today (I rode it twice) :)

doombuggy driver
06-25-2006, 06:31 PM

I watched the E Red Carpet Live today and they had a ride through with two of the film stars. They showed Davy Jones, Captain Barbosa and All Three Captain Jack Sparrow sightings. It looked amazing!!!!! I cannot wait to go!!!:)

wlc
06-25-2006, 06:35 PM
I watched the E Red Carpet Live today and they had a ride through with two of the film stars. They showed Davy Jones, Captain Barbosa and All Three Captain Jack Sparrow sightings. It looked amazing!!!!! I cannot wait to go!!!:)

I don't want to put spoilers in a main message like this, but let me tell you...

I did not support this refurb at all. I rode it today expecting disappointment. I found I enjoyed all of it except for a few parts. One of them could be solved by simply turning part of the soundtrack on in a certain part. The others I could live without, I suppose.

All in all, I'll just say that this "enhancement" makes me want WED to "plus" other attractions. Ignoring the parts I do not like, the down time was worth the added effects/updates we got.

PapiBear
06-25-2006, 08:04 PM
I don't want to put spoilers in a main message like this, but let me tell you...

I did not support this refurb at all. I rode it today expecting disappointment. I found I enjoyed all of it except for a few parts. One of them could be solved by simply turning part of the soundtrack on in a certain part. The others I could live without, I suppose.

All in all, I'll just say that this "enhancement" makes me want WED to "plus" other attractions. Ignoring the parts I do not like, the down time was worth the added effects/updates we got.

Aw, go ahead and tell us what parts you're talking about. Just use spoiler tags.

What's a spoiler tag? This is a spoiler tag (highlight the black part): Hi, here's the hidden text. Just type [ spoiler ] (minus the spaces) and [/spoiler] around whatever text you wish to keep hidden.

I'm curious to know just what you're talking about that you liked and what you didn't like.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Hmm. Even if dead men DO tell tales, they still don't wear plaid.

PapiBear
06-26-2006, 03:10 AM
Hmm. Even if dead men DO tell tales, they still don't wear plaid.Cleaning woman.....cleaning woman??? CLEANING WOMAN!!!!!

hbquikcomjamesl
06-26-2006, 05:27 AM
That was one gag I'd forgotten.

And now, for something completely different, back to the regularly scheduled thread.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-26-2006, 06:29 AM
Thanks for that terrific information DB!