PDA

View Full Version : paradise pier vs. fairfield inn

dland
06-25-2006, 03:26 PM
We are making our annual trek to Disneyland in December. I am trying to decide where to stay this trip, it is between Disney's Paradise Pier and Fairfield Inn. Which hotel is closer to the maingate? How long is the walk from Paradise Pier? I have read reviews where people complain that Paradise Pier is too far.

Overall how is the Pier? I have stayed at the Disney Hotel and was unimpressed. Not that the Disney Hotel wasn't nice, I just thought it was expensive for what you are getting. One of my cousins swears that the Fairfield is the way to go (although she has never stayed at Paradise Pier). We would really like to stay at the Grand Californian but it is way over our budget.

Thanks for any help.

stan4d_steph
06-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Mouseplanet has a guide page for Paradise Pier (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=ALC000) that includes links to reader reviews and links of interest.

Check out this thread for the answer to "which is farther." (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=46907)

rentayenta
06-25-2006, 05:22 PM
I don't know what the Fairfield rate is but right now Costco and Expedia are offering the 4th night free on Disney hotels (as well as the good neighbor hotels). For us the PPH ends up to be $120 a night and well worth it. I would never opt to stay off property if a decent priced Disney hotel is available. The PPH is clean, cute, and not a bad walk. I have done it with 3 children ages 4, 7, and 9. The beds are comfy. The rooms come with coffee makers and fridges.

P.S. If you need tickets too I would suggest booking through Costco because they are also giving a free character breakfast, a $20 gift card, and tickets to Mickey's Toontown Madness with each hotel/ticket package booked during certain dates. Travel must be completed by Dec. 21st.

CamCay
06-25-2006, 05:35 PM
If you didn't think the Disneyland Hotel was worth it, i don't think you will be impressed with Paradise Pier. You can enter through GCH directly into California Adventure, but it you're looking for value go with Fairfield. Now, if the prices are the same, i would go with Paradise Pier, just for it's proximity to Downtown Disney and the other two property hotels.

CamCay
06-25-2006, 05:38 PM
I don't know what the Fairfield rate is but right now Costco and Expedia are offering the 4th night free on Disney hotels (as well as the good neighbor hotels). For us the PPH ends up to be $120 a night and well worth it. I would never opt to stay off property if a decent priced Disney hotel is available. The PPH is clean, cute, and not a bad walk. I have done it with 3 children ages 4, 7, and 9. The beds are comfy. The rooms come with coffee makers and fridges.

P.S. If you need tickets too I would suggest booking through Costco because they are also giving a free character breakfast, a $20 gift card, and tickets to Mickey's Toontown Madness with each hotel/ticket package booked during certain dates. Travel must be completed by Dec. 21st.

When I compared Costco to AAA, AAA was over $100 less for the full trip. If the character breakfast is important to you, then maybe it would be even, but i'd rather have Enhanced FastPass.

MammaSilva
06-25-2006, 06:48 PM
When I compared Costco to AAA, AAA was over $100 less for the full trip. If the character breakfast is important to you, then maybe it would be even, but i'd rather have Enhanced FastPass.

depending on what's important....you save the $100 by doing AAA and you might have enhanced fast pass, but if you stay on property you get the EE for the length of your stay. I'd say that was more than a fair trade off for enhanced fast pass especially since very few of the attractions actually have fast pass compared to the advantage of early entry several times vs once.

CamCay
06-28-2006, 02:23 PM
depending on what's important....you save the $100 by doing AAA and you might have enhanced fast pass, but if you stay on property you get the EE for the length of your stay. I'd say that was more than a fair trade off for enhanced fast pass especially since very few of the attractions actually have fast pass compared to the advantage of early entry several times vs once.

My comparison included Disneyland Hotel, so we get Enhanced fastpass and EE on multiple days. The best of both worlds!

dland
07-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks!

Susan L
07-01-2006, 06:27 PM
My vote is for the PPH. Its one of our favorites. Plus it is on property. As far as distance from the maingate. The advantage of getting into DL on the Monorail is closer. Of course it doesn't drop you off at the main gate but, it saves your feet on walking.

As for PPH its a very comfortable hotel.We have always had the best service there also. If you stay there a park view room is a must. It is awsome. I've said this before on other post. On our last night on our last visit there we were able to watch the DEP from our room. It was really cool. We were so tired so we left the park early. As we were walking back to our room we remembered that we wanted to see the parade, not expecting to be able to see it from our room, very cool, it made our last night special.

Our one and only staying off property was a disaster. We stayed at the HoJo the walk back and forth was horrible. The room was horrible, no air conditioning and very loud. Never again will we stay off site. Its worth it to us to pay the extra $$$ to stay on property.

AAA is a good way to go also. But if you want the enhanced fastpass you have to do a package deal. Its worth it though.

dland
07-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Susan L,
A horrible experience staying off property is why we are contemplating staying at PPH. Last time we went we booked at Best Western Park Place Inn (which happens to be highly rated). We booked through Disney for a non smoking room with two beds. Best Western gave us a disgusting smelling smoking room with one bed (for four of us). Then they acted like jerks about it, never appologized or tried to "make it right". Thier response was "we do not have to honor Disney's accomodation request" and "if you choose not to stay here you have five minutes to decide or we will charge you". Needless to say we left.

I think we are probably going to stay at PPH. What is an enhanced fastpass?

hlbtimes2
07-01-2006, 09:25 PM
I would need to know the price difference before I could give you my opinion. I've stayed at both. If the price is close, then go with PP. If its much of a difference, then go with the fairfield or the candy cane inn.

dland
07-01-2006, 10:14 PM
PP is $200 more than Fairfield (this is for four nights).

Susan L
07-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Susan L,
A horrible experience staying off property is why we are contemplating staying at PPH. Last time we went we booked at Best Western Park Place Inn (which happens to be highly rated). We booked through Disney for a non smoking room with two beds. Best Western gave us a disgusting smelling smoking room with one bed (for four of us). Then they acted like jerks about it, never appologized or tried to "make it right". Thier response was "we do not have to honor Disney's accomodation request" and "if you choose not to stay here you have five minutes to decide or we will charge you". Needless to say we left.

I think we are probably going to stay at PPH. What is an enhanced fastpass?

Yes, do it, you won't regret it. Don't forget to request a park view room. Yeah I vowed to never stay off property ever again. It is worth it for us to save the extra money to stay on property.

When you get a package deal through AAA you get enhanced fastpass. That means you can get as many fastpass at one time as you want. Normally you have to wait until your fastpass time has expired to get another fastpass. The enhanced fastpass especially comes in handy for Space Mt and Indy etc.
You have to book your whole package through AAA to get this little perk. I believe you also will get early entry, a fun book that has some very nice coupons to help save some money. Plus using your AAA card at some of the restaruants will get you a discount. If you have a Disney Visa Card and you use it to book your trip you will get some more perks.

dland
07-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks Susan! I do have a Disney Visa card, do you no what perks I would get? I am also wondering how I redeem my Disney rewards.

CamCay
07-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks Susan! I do have a Disney Visa card, do you no what perks I would get? I am also wondering how I redeem my Disney rewards.

Go online and look at your credit card statement. It has the "Manage my rewards" icon. it tells you if you have any points you can transfer to your rewards card, as well as specials and discounts for Disneyland.:)

Susan L
07-02-2006, 07:19 PM
^^that's it. One of the perks with the DVC is you get I think 6 months of 0% apr when you book your Disney vacation. You also get discounts on things you buy in the parks, hotels and at the WOD but, you have to make sure you are getting that discount at the cashier. Some of the CM's weren't on it when we were there last. My friend, after noticing that the WOD did not give her discount to her, went back and made sure they did. I'm sure you can find out what specials are going on at present online.

hlbtimes2
07-03-2006, 08:52 AM
For $200, I would probably go with the PP. Much more then that, and I would go with the savings and stay at the Fairfield. They are roughly the same walking distance, but the PP is a much nicer hotel.