PDA

View Full Version : transportation to the beach?

listener
06-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks, everyone for all the great advice! This is the happiest board on earth!

My 7 year son I will be going to DLR in early July for three days, following a conference at an OC airport hotel. We switch from the conference hotel to Candy Cane Inn on Sunday. Someone kindly suggested considering a beach trip on Sunday since the park is packed (and son has never seen the Pacific...we live in KY).

I hate to rent a car just for a trip to the beach (and I will even admit to an intimidation factor when considering driving in LA by myself). Are there suggestions for managing transportation for a few hours at a nearby beach? I was considering doing the beach until 3 or 4 in the afternoon and then going to DSL for the evening. Does Disney sell any kind of late entry pass? Should we just hang out in Downtown Disney? Thanks for your help.

Micki0624
06-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Disney does not sell a late entry pass. Downtown Disney can give you something do to in the late afternoon, especially if you go to a movie. I don't quite know about transportation but maybe a taxi or public bus?

kimc0486
06-24-2006, 05:18 PM
I have gone to both Huntington (closest to DL) and Newport by bus. I am 20 and in the past have not had a car when I have flown due to the fact that I can't rent a car. Driving from DL to Huntington would not be bad at all, I myself would NEVER consider driving in LA and (if I had a car) would definately drive from DL to Huntington, it would take prob 20 min or so.

But, if you do not want to rent a car, you can take a bus. I use trip planner onthe OCTA website. Here is the site: www.octa.net

and here is the trip route for the 9th pasted, it will take an hour and a half by bus!!!

Depart: DISNEYLAND in ANAHEIM at 8:21 a.m.
Arrive: HUNTINGTON BEACH PIER in HUNTINGTON BEACH at 9:50 a.m.

This plan is for travel on Sunday, July 09, 2006.
Your trip will take approximately 1h29 min.
You have 2 transfers.Estimated total walking distance is under 1/4 mile.
Walk to HARBOR-EAST SHUTTLE AREA in ANAHEIM, stop # 247 [map this step]
At 8:22 a.m., take Route 43 South.
Exit bus at HARBOR-KATELLA in ANAHEIM, stop # 250 at 8:24 a.m.. [map this step]
Walk to KATELLA-HARBOR in ANAHEIM, stop # 283, and wait for transfer. [map this step]
At 8:29 a.m., take Route 50 West.
Exit bus at 7TH-CHANNEL in LONG BEACH, stop #4022 at 9:15 a.m.. [map this step]
Transfer at 7TH-CHANNEL in LONG BEACH, stop #4022.
At 9:19 a.m., take Route 1 South.
Exit bus at PACIFIC COAST-MAIN in HUNTINGTON BEACH, stop #3000 at 9:49 a.m.. [map this step]
Walk to HUNTINGTON BEACH PIER.
[map this step]

I would recommend Huntington Beach out of all the beaches. If you can rent a car for $20 for the day, I would honestly (as a timid driver NOT from Ca) recommend driving over a 3+ hour bus ride RT. Although I have done it (twice). I never was going to Disney that day, just the beach. If you have a car, it would be much more practical to get back into DL, as you would have more time.

If you went to DL that day, what I am doing in September, when I am doing a beach/DL day, is going to DL as soon as it opens and getting fast passes for Splash Mountain and Space Mountain, possibly riding both, then heading to the beach. Then you can come back and have a FP for the most popular rides and still have an enjoyable evening at DL. Although forewarning, a day at the beach is pretty exhausting after being in the sun all day, and usually I am very exhausted and just want to lay down or sleep. But I am doing DL afterwards this year, and with the later hours in the summer, if I were you I would do it also. Especially if you have limited days in the park.

Have fun and good luck!

momuvseven
06-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Look up Amtrak and the schdules from Anaheim (station is only about a mile from DLR on Katella). You can take a train in the morning to San Diego and get off at the downtown station and walk a block to the harbor where there are harbor cruises, museams, great seafood and you can see all types of Navy vessels. The other station there lets you off by Sea World. Or go to San Clemente Pier where again you can walk right onto the beach, eat lunch at the pier, fish without a license and swim in the waves. There are showers, restrooms and a playground area. That is just two stops out of dozens that Amtrak makes on this route, the Pacific Surfliner. Tickets are inexpensive and can be bought on line or at the station. There are return trains in the afternoon that get you back to the train station by early evening and there are taxis there at the taxi stand. Our kids love the train, lots more fun for everyone than driving.