PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Recommendations Needed!

soccerlady16
06-23-2006, 11:17 PM
Need some suggestions for a nice hotel in the DLR area. We're getting married in August and want to visit DLR for a few days. Anyone know of a romantic hotel near DLR? We would love to stay at the Grand Californian but its way out of our budget.:( And the other two are also $$. I found the Lemon Tree Hotel but its to far from DLR. Its a nice mission style, honeymoon type place and it was between $79-130. Any else like this? Thanks in advance!

darph nader
06-24-2006, 01:24 AM
There are lots and lots of motels near D/L. Romance is what you make of it. My DW and i started our honeymoon in San Diego.At a campground no less.(we love to camp).We got to Anaheim the day the '84' strike started. We went bowling.Had a GREAT time. O.K. we're 'low budget'. But like Buckaroo Bonzai said, "Hey,no matter where you're going, there you are". Have FUN and have fun.

btw,we stayed @the Saga Hotel.. It's the Desert Inn or something like that now.

kikid
06-24-2006, 06:21 AM
have you tried the Sheraton Park Anaheim? Darkbeer has some great photos of this hotel. good luck.:)

http://www.sheratonparkanaheim.com/index-1.html[/URL]
hop this link works...if not just go directly to their website

Klutch
06-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Everyone's idea of romace is unique, but on a budget, the Candy Cane might be a good bet. The rooms are not very large, but the beds and the bedding are of very high quality there. ;) The landscaping is also very nice and the free breakfast is among the best free spreads I've seen. It's just a short walk from the Candy Cane to the DL gate. There is also a very good shuttle service dedicated exclusively to the Candy Cane (it doesn't make a milk run from hotel, to hotel, to hotel...).

Candy Cane is small, but charming. Personally, I would have no problem staying there on a budget, romantic getaway, but again, opnions vary. :)

kisroo
06-24-2006, 09:31 AM
Candy Cane Inn is our favorite non-Grand Cali hotel and I think it's very romantic. You could get one of their premium rooms and enjoy breakfast in bed! :)

Opus1 did a nice report with pics on the new Sheraton (used to be The Coast), which is down the street from the Candy Cane Inn and looks very nice as well.

Have a great time and congrats!

~kisroo:)

mad4mky
06-24-2006, 09:35 AM
The Hilton Garden Inn is very nice...as is the Hyatt...both in nearby Garden Grove.

The best deal I have had near DLR though...The Doubletree Hotel in nearby Orange. GREAT hotel, best price around. And...it's OWN shuttle. No stupid ART to wait for.:)

*Avoid the Hilton across the street from DLR though. Terrible elevators, too crowded ART buses...and well...the rooms ain't that great.:rolleyes:

momuvseven
06-24-2006, 10:41 AM
We haven't stayed at the Lemon Tree but did recently stay at their sister property the Pepper Tree. I suggest you carefully read the reviews on TripAdvisor. Not my idea of where to spend a honeymoon.

Candy Cane Inn would be my first choice if I were newly married.

kiwifuz
06-24-2006, 02:16 PM
We spent part of our mini-honeymoon at DL and stayed at the Embassy Suites. I don't necessarily know what romance really means to you. I mean personally I've never been one to get the whole idea of romatic hotel rooms. I just prefer a nice room, that's clean, and reasonably priced.

Sub Maniak
06-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Try the Park Place Inn! It's nice and has a great breakfast!:) It's right next to the plaza.

2nd Choice: Carousel Inn--GREAT BREAKFAST

Both are located on Harbor Blvd.:D

doombuggy driver
06-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Everyone's idea of romace is unique, but on a budget, the Candy Cane might be a good bet. The rooms are not very large, but the beds and the bedding are of very high quality there. ;) The landscaping is also very nice and the free breakfast is among the best free spreads I've seen. It's just a short walk from the Candy Cane to the DL gate. There is also a very good shuttle service dedicated exclusively to the Candy Cane (it doesn't make a milk run from hotel, to hotel, to hotel...).

Candy Cane is small, but charming. Personally, I would have no problem staying there on a budget, romantic getaway, but again, opnions vary. :)
I agree! We just went to DLR in May and this is the nicest hotel! The free shuttle is great and the rooms were very clean! The grounds have beautiful flowers and the breakfast is great. If you upgrade to the Premiere they even bring if to your room. The premiere also includes a bucket of cookies, turn down service and free video rentals.
You can't go wrong with the Candy Cane Inn!:)

Opus1guy
06-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Opus1 did a nice report with pics on the new Sheraton (used to be The Coast), which is down the street from the Candy Cane Inn and looks very nice as well.

Here's that thread with my review, photos and a video of the new Sheraton Park Hotel:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=48258

...starting at Post #15 in that thread.

The Sheraton Anaheim (a different Sheraton that's behind Disneyland) is rather nice too, and has some wonderfully landscaped grounds and gardens that have several little romantic spots. It's themed in Tudor Castle style. The walk from the hotel to Downtown Disney via Disneyland Drive is very nice too. Good for hand-holding. They've got their own dedicated shuttle, of course...if you prefer not to walk.

At either...you won't be complaining about the bed! These Sheratons have the best in the city. :)

potterphreak
06-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Lemon Tree is AMAZING!!!! I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this hotel! The staff is awesome, the room was so nice and comfy (4 pillows for each bed, 2 down, 2 regular), I can't say enough about this hotel.
Our first stay was a romantic trip for DH and I, we got the king bed/jacuzzi tub room and the second stay was a regular king size room. THE best service I have received anywhere, even the DLH. (Our second time there, we spent one night at the DL Hotel and 2 at the Lemon Tree and LT staff was amazing and DLH was poopookaka). Also, within walking distance of the Lemon Tree is a really great shopping center with the cleanest KMart I have ever been in, the absolute best donuts/danishes/snackies ever at Georges (or Georgies-can never remember! LOL) which is right next door to the amazing Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. I recommend it, but DLH is nice also. And cheaper than the Grand. Have stayed several times at DLH and only once had terrible service.

disneyfreak75
06-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Candy Cane inn was rated #1 on tripadvisor.com. I have never stayed there but trust the reviews.

that being said, i have stayed at the carousel inn...years ago. What i like about this place is it is closer to DL. the shorter the walk the better because it means that i can go back to the hotel if it is busy and too hot.

Jewel of Orleans
06-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Stay at the Grand Californian.

There are a few special occasions in life that are well worth making a splurge in order to get it exactly right, and your honeymoon is one of them. A year from now you won't miss the extra money you spent, but you will have beautiful memories of the perfect way that the two of you started your life together.

Best wishes for a magical marriage!

tinker3
06-29-2006, 11:43 AM
I know nothing about the lemon tree but the hotels I have stayed at and would recommend or 2nd would be Embassy Suites in Garden Grove (pretty new). They have a beautiful atrium, very nice suites and a free cook to order breakfast. Candy Cane is also very nice and close, with beautiful grounds and a great free breakfast.

I have also heard good things about the Sheraton and the Annabella.

Good luck with your choice and have a great honeymoon!:)

hlbtimes2
06-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Another Candy Cane vote from me.

We really like it there. The rooms are nicely decorated, the grounds are pretty and its close to DL- and the price is in your range.

going2disneyAZ
06-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Suggestion. If you go to hotwire.com and search for hotels catagorized as disneyland south and look at the ***1/2 star results often you can get one in the $75 per night range. The ***1/2 star options will be one of the following:

Crowne Plaza
Convention Center Hilton
Hyatt Regency

All wonderful hotels (Hyatt probably the best).

kiwifuz
06-29-2006, 05:03 PM

There are a few special occasions in life that are well worth making a splurge in order to get it exactly right, and your honeymoon is one of them. A year from now you won't miss the extra money you spent, but you will have beautiful memories of the perfect way that the two of you started your life together.

Honeymoon or not a budget is a budget. Unless this person wins the lotto if they say it's out of their budget then out it is. But I'm against going into debt to get married & take vacations, and others aren't so who knows.

Personally, on my honeymoon when we spent time at DL we didn't spend much time in our hotel. We'd sleep for a few hours, eat our breakfast, leave the hotel, enjoy our day out as tourists.

I'd check out area hotels' reviews on trip advisor, perhaps travelocity or something, and here and then figure out some options on where to stay. Heck also check into Priceline. Sometimes great deals exist on there depending upon how busy the hotels are at the time you'll be there. Check into websites like www.biddingfortravel.com too see what others have found also.

Good luck & congrats on your marriage!!

Malcon10t
06-29-2006, 06:21 PM

The problem may not be that they won't miss the money next year, but if they are more like me, they won't have the money now to do it period. I always ask the kids about this when we start planning for a trip. Like this trip, we could afford the PPH for 2 nights, GC for 1 night, or across the street for 5 nights. Thats the budget for the room. So, if its "just" extra money, then go for the GC, but if its this is what the budget can afford and there isn't "extra", Candy Cane is great, I also like the Carousel and the Anaheim Hilton. Hojo is nice also. But avoid the Del Sol.

Jwebbal
06-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Yep, hotels on priceline in the disneyland area are going usually from $45-$65 a night, availability is really good usually. And those are 3 stars not 2. So Hyatt, Doubletree, Hilton, Marriott, etc. I LOVE paying that little and getting a great room, I paid $45 last weekend for the Hyatt.

fidoprincess
06-30-2006, 07:03 PM
We just returned from a DL trip and spent one night at the CCI on 6/9. I had heard so many wonderful reviews, I had to check it out for myself. We had a premium room and it was as wonderful as everyone said! The bedding was nice and the room itself was really nice. It was clean and quiet and we had asked for the 2nd floor so we never heard a single thing at all.

The large vanity is outside the bathroom and also holds the mini fridge and the microwave. There are lots of little touches that make it special. At the vanity, with the coffee maker, there were lots of special teas and even some wrapped biscotti cookies that were yummy! When we got to our room, there was a wrapped pack of 8 cookies. We ended up using the movie coupon that night since we were so tired from our long drive and it came with microwave popcorn-very cute touch. The toiletries were nice as well with even a packaged loofa sponge. When we were at the park, they came in and turned down our bed and put little net bags of candy on them.

With the premium room, you have the option of marking things off on a card that you hang on the door for breakfast instead of going to the free buffet by the office/pool area. We checked off lots and lots of stuff and it was all delivered in the cutest basket and packed up beautifully. It was "special"!

We also had a late checkout at 2 which was perfect for us as we were transferring to the DLH and knew our room would not be ready until 3. We stayed at the pool that day and just relaxed and we were the only ones there so it could be romantic if you were as lucky as we were. The pool is small but we were the only ones in it so it was great. The hot tub was nice and all in all the hotel is just lovely and well kept.

If I was on a budget, I would surely stay there in the premium room and feel as though my money was well spent.

Oh, I forgot to mention for us, no romance as we had our kids with us-lol. I did not like taking the shuttle cause we kept missing it by 5 minutes and ended up walking with my complaining 6 year old who kept saying it was "really far". For adults, it was nothing to walk and nice to know that we COULD wait for the shuttle if we wanted and it's nice shuttle that did go exactly on time. So we were glad to switch over but I can tell you this, the DLH room was not as nice and certainly not as clean and there wasn't one "special touch" like the movie, popcorn, biscotti, teas, nice shampoo, candy or breakfast. I had to beg for a bag for the ice bucket each day-lol.

Klutch
07-01-2006, 07:26 AM
So we were glad to switch over but I can tell you this, the DLH room was not as nice and certainly not as clean and there wasn't one "special touch" like the movie, popcorn, biscotti, teas, nice shampoo, candy or breakfast. I had to beg for a bag for the ice bucket each day-lol.

Wow, it seems the Disneyland Hotel isn't what it used to be. I've never stayed there, but based on your comments, as well as many others, I probably wouldn't spend the money to stay there. I'm quite happy at the Candy Cane.

soccerlady16
07-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Well, I won't be staying at any of these hotels. My aunt and uncle are giving us a weekend stay at ...... Paradise Pier!!!! We are so excited, we've never stayed on property before.
Thanks anyways for your suggestions

kiwifuz
07-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Yay!! It'll be nice to be on property I'm sure! Plus you'll be able to do all of the EE days if it interests you. Good luck, enjoy your stay!!