PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else disappointed?

Pages : [1] 2

Pirate Lover
06-23-2006, 07:32 AM
My family and I are going to be at Disneyland from the 10th to the 16th of September, and just recently found out that not only will the park be cutting back their hours at that time, but that they'll be doing refurbishing on both the Matterhorn and the Haunted Mansion. The Matterhorn doesn't bother me very much, but the Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite rides, and I had really been hoping to see the changes that they had made since my last visit. Couple that with the hour cut, and we're going to have one near disappointing vacation. The only highlight will be that PotC should be up and running in it's new state, hopefully that will be worth it...

Lol, sorry, I'm kind of venting at the moment, I just find it really sad.

twist1980
06-23-2006, 07:37 AM
Haunted Mansion is actually closed around that time every year to prepare for Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Pirate Lover
06-23-2006, 07:48 AM
We've gone at this time in past years, though, and it has never been closed for us before. It was somewhat of a shock.

disneychick
06-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Well, I'm sad to think that a one hour reduction and 2 rides being closed would "near ruin" your vacation at Disneyland - I'd really hope that you're going to the park for so much more than that!

HM IS typically closed at that time of year to install the Holiday overlay, and I'm sorry you'll also miss the Matterhorn - however, I really think that what you get from your vacation has a LOT to do with your frame of mind. If you go into it lamenting all the things you CAN'T do, you'll surely have a miserable time. It's completely OK to be upset that you'll miss a favourite ride or two, but trust me - if all the people with plans to visit this week, when POTC is down, BB is closed, NOS is a complete mess, and the park hours are cut way back for the premiere can find reason to smile and enjoy being in DL, you can too!! It's just a matter of focusing on all the things you CAN do there, and the very simple fact that you're fortunate enough to be able to vacation in the Happiest Place on Earth ;) Millions would trade places with you in a heartbeat.

eta: my emphasis on "IS" was written before I saw your most recent post - please don't take it as argumentative to your point that it's not been closed when you've been there at that time before....I didn't intend it that way :) I know it's disappointing - but just think about everything GREAT about DL.

Malcon10t
06-23-2006, 07:53 AM
My family and I are going to be at Disneyland from the 10th to the 16th of September, and just recently found out that not only will the park be cutting back their hours at that time, but that they'll be doing refurbishing on both the Matterhorn and the Haunted Mansion. The Matterhorn doesn't bother me very much, but the Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite rides, and I had really been hoping to see the changes that they had made since my last visit. Couple that with the hour cut, and we're going to have one near disappointing vacation. The only highlight will be that PotC should be up and running in it's new state, hopefully that will be worth it...

Lol, sorry, I'm kind of venting at the moment, I just find it really sad.Actually, the change of hours and the Haunted Mansion going down to convert to the Holiday Mansion is quite normal at that time of year. You might also want to be prepared for fireworks and Fantasmic! only on Friday and Saturday nights. Generally, hours are shorter during the off season, so 10am-8pm isn't too bad, and you can take advantage of EE everyday available if you stay at the resort.

littlebugg
06-23-2006, 07:59 AM
My DS and I both have our bday in Sept. and when we went a couple years ago for our bday trip we discovered they close HM for the overlay in Sept.

That same trip the Matterhorn was down for repairs, and Space Mtn. for refurb, the Castle had a huge tarp over it, and half of the park was inaccessible unless you walked all the way around Tommorrowland.

It was challenging, and DH first ever trip to DL (no castle!!!!), but we still had a blast and so now we don't go during Sept.

I guess it makes sense with all the wear and tear of the summer season, they have to prepare for the holiday rush, so Sept's light crowds would make it an ideal time to "shine up" the park.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-23-2006, 07:59 AM
We always go in the fall and Matterhorn always goes down for refurbishment that time of year. While it is one of my favorite rides, it does disappoint me it is down, I wouldn't trade the light crowds for anything. That is just part of the trade off of going during the "off season." HM has always been down around that time, since I can remember, since they have been doing HM Holiday.
I am sure you will be happy that the crowds will be much lighter, than say July, and will realize that you can live without HM and Matterhorn, as well as the hours cutback. Even though the park does close earlier, the lines are not as long, thus you can actually get more done in that time.
And I agree with Malcon, the fireworks and !Fantasmic will only be on a Friday and Saturday night, so be sure that you plan to be at the park later one of those nights to see those.

Rhiannon8404
06-23-2006, 08:08 AM
I've been to DL several times when my favorite rides were closed. Sometimes it's a blessing in disguise. We've discovered rides we rarely go on were really quite fun. We've sat and watched shows we normally would have skipped because we were busy going on "all our favorite rides".

My advice is to go with the attitude that you will discover new and fun things to do instead of riding your favorites and then, know how much more you will enjoy the rides you missed this time, the next time you go.

Diosabellissima
06-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Haunted Mansion is actually closed around that time every year to prepare for Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Wait, why did I think they weren't doing HMH anymore?

Alex S.
06-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Because they're not doing the Haunted Mansion Holiday merchandise event that they did the first few year anymore and the grapevine continually translates this into the overlay not being done anymore.

Frogberto
06-23-2006, 09:25 AM
I know how you feel. I've been an annual passholder for less than two months, and when I started, the Haunted Mansion was down, although that reopened. I hadn't been on the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction in 10 years, and it's been closed the entire time I've had a pass. Can't wait for Monday!

barely
06-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Well, I'm disappointed. We'll be at DL Sept.9-13. When we booked, ride refurbs had Sept 11 for the close date for HM. Also, the Monorail will be closed. Oh well, I'm still glad to be going!

ghoofie
06-23-2006, 09:57 AM
I'll be on a business trip that week in Anaheim and I spend lots of time late afternoon/early evening. There are plenty of things to do at DL...the best thing is enjoy whats operating...and then come back another time !! :)

adriennek
06-23-2006, 11:00 AM
We've gone at this time in past years, though, and it has never been closed for us before. It was somewhat of a shock.

How recently was this? The HM has been closing for this Rehab in September for the past 3 - 4 years.

I appreciate that it's disappointing but Disneyland has always done routine maintanence on rides throughout the year but especially during the 'off-season'. Typically, "something" is usually going to be closed.

Adrienne

Mark Mywords
06-23-2006, 11:13 AM
We went in early September 05. Yeah, it was a little disappointing that HM was down. We had a blast, though because the park was not crowded at all!

DianeM
06-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Nope, we're not disappointed that HM will be closed in september. When we found out, we rescheduled our vacation to October. I'm sure you'll still have a good trip. I've visited DL when there were almost no major attractions open at all, and had a good time.

Disney Vault
06-23-2006, 12:00 PM
DL has so much to do that it really doesn't get to me when a few rides are down.

disneyperson
06-23-2006, 12:40 PM
I keep thinking about the trip we took when it seemed that just about everything was down in preparation for the 50th celebration.(Of course it wasn't) Even the castle was gone! It was one of the best trips ever. Very relaxed. The pictures of us in front of the tarp covered castle are ones I'll always treasure.

PapiBear
06-23-2006, 12:46 PM
They should just go back to closing the Park down on Mondays and Tuesdays during the off-season. That gives them extra time and opportunity to make certain cosmetic and other changes without unduly inconveniencing Park guests. The place shouldn't look like a construction site half the time.

samkj
06-23-2006, 02:05 PM
They should just go back to closing the Park down on Mondays and Tuesdays during the off-season. That gives them extra time and opportunity to make certain cosmetic and other changes without unduly inconveniencing Park guests.
You are kidding right? I would be much, much more inconvenienced by the whole park being closed than a few tarps!

shawnarae
06-23-2006, 08:14 PM
4 words for you: Enjoy The Light Crowds!

doombuggy driver
06-23-2006, 08:28 PM
They should just go back to closing the Park down on Mondays and Tuesdays during the off-season. That gives them extra time and opportunity to make certain cosmetic and other changes without unduly inconveniencing Park guests. The place shouldn't look like a construction site half the time.

that would break my heart!

TP2000
06-23-2006, 09:39 PM
The Haunted Mansion has been closed every September for its transformation into Haunted Mansion Holiday since 2001. This is the sixth year in a row that they close Haunted Mansion for the month of September. That's nothing new.

Disneyland has been going to shorter weekday hours 6 days a week since September, 1985. That's nothing new. Wait.... Until 1997 the weekday operating hours for Disneyland in September would have been 10:00am to 6:00pm. In September, 1997 they extended those closing times two hours, and began closing at 8:00pm instead. And previous to 1985, Disneyland would have been open from 10:00am to 6:00pm only on Wednesdays and Thursday in September. What about Mondays and Tuesdays you ask? Disneyland was CLOSED ENTIRELY on Mondays and Tuesdays in September, October, November, January, February, March and May every year until 1985.

The Matterhorn was built in 1959 and generally closes once a year for refurbishment. The yearly Matterhorn closure has been in the fall for most of the past 10 years. That's nothing new. Otherwise, it's operating up to 17 continuous hours per day, 365 days per year. It's last closure was in the fall of 2004, so it's certainly due for a rest and a rehab. If you were born in 1959 you'd need a little rest once in awhile too. Trust me.

Lucky for you these basic closures and operating hours have been set in place for years and years, and Disneyland is kind enough to plan them out specifically months in advance and offer them to you free of charge on their website. It will let you plan ahead.

Pirate Lover
06-24-2006, 05:28 AM
We went last September at about the same time, and all the rides (with the exception of Screamin', because two of the cars had crashed) were open, and the park itself was open at least an extra hour... I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time, it's just a bit disappointing not to go on one of our favorite rides.

Drince88
06-24-2006, 05:38 AM
We went last September at about the same time, and all the rides (with the exception of Screamin', because two of the cars had crashed) were open, and the park itself was open at least an extra hour... I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time, it's just a bit disappointing not to go on one of our favorite rides.
I think you just had lucky timing last year. According to the DL update from last September, the ride closed September 12, 2005. According to Riderefurbs it closes this year on September 11.

And they probably were doing a little more extended hours because of the popularity of the new 50th celebration.