PDA

View Full Version : El Capitan for Pirates 2

jrad32
06-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone. Planning a trip to LA with my wife. First real chance to get out since we have a new 2 month-old baby girl at home. Grandparents are going to watch her for a couple days in July. Can't wait to take her to DL when she gets a little older.

We're planning on going to the Getty, a Dodgers game and the beach. Thinking of taking my wife, a Pirates movie and Disney fanatic, to the El Capitan to see Pirates 2. Can anyone share any experiences of going to the El Cap? Is it worth it? My wife would like to see the props and she loves ice cream so the soda fountain would also be a stop.

cosmicjive
06-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Hi everyone. Planning a trip to LA with my wife. First real chance to get out since we have a new 2 month-old baby girl at home. Grandparents are going to watch her for a couple days in July. Can't wait to take her to DL when she gets a little older.

We're planning on going to the Getty, a Dodgers game and the beach. Thinking of taking my wife, a Pirates movie and Disney fanatic, to the El Capitan to see Pirates 2. Can anyone share any experiences of going to the El Cap? Is it worth it? My wife would like to see the props and she loves ice cream so the soda fountain would also be a stop.

It's pretty cool seeing a show at the El Cap. Be sure to get into the theater as early as possible, as there is usually a pre-show. I don't know if he's there for every showing, but there is a guy that plays the organ before the show that is absolutely amazing. Also they always have some little pre-show that plays just before the movie starts, which can be pretty cool. Before The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, they made it snow in the theater!

Get your tickets in advance though (you can buy them online).

-Jeff

jrad32
06-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Yep I noticed the online function. I was thinking if I did it I would spring for the reserve VIP seats.

The old man
06-21-2006, 03:18 PM
If you do go do get the VIP package. We went to see Nemo and had VIP, if we didn't we would have had to wait in a very long line. It was worth it. The theatre itself is a beautifully restored 1930's theatre but the seating legroom is a little short (and I'm only 5' 9").

bassett1976
06-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Mr. Bassett took me to the El Capitan for Valentine's Day where we saw Lady and the Tramp on big screen. *sigh* It is a great old-fashioned place and the VIP seating is helpful (I'm a shorty, too). The props will most likely be downstairs and the soda fountain place is kind of in a place next door to the theater, but it is attached. The soda fountain place gets really busy after a movie. It also has lots of Disney merchandise in it.

I highly recommend the El Capitan- and parking is easiest across the street at the mall. I think the El Cap will validate your parking ticket. If not, it's only a few bucks and worth the effort.

Hope this helps and happy travels!
Mrs. B

Tinkermommy
06-21-2006, 05:01 PM
SO worth it, especially if you spring for the VIP seats. You don't have to wait in line outside, you have a reserved seat in a great spot, it includes your popcorn and drink (and you don't have to wait in line for that, either). We've done it twice, and I can't imagine NOT getting the VIP seats.

Plus, it's a lovely, old theater, and after the movie, you can stroll down to Mann's Chinese Theater and examine the celebrity handprints. That's always fun!

cstephens
06-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Adding to the choir - it's definitely worth it to see POTC 2 at the El Capitan. We saw the first film there, and we're going back for the second film on opening night. There's just an energy and an excitement there, because it's not just a regular theatre - people are going there because they very specifically are choosing to go there, and it adds to a great film to see it with a great crowd.

I know some people don't think the VIP tickets are worth it, but for me, it's not about the popcorn or the drink - it's about not having to wait in line and staking out seats and being able to pick my own seat.

Have a great time at the film and at the soda fountain next door. Be sure to look at how the soda fountain is decorated - I love all the Disney animated film "clips".

AaronInCal
06-21-2006, 11:43 PM
I love going to the El Capitan! Went and saw Cars last week and it was really good. The PitStop Challenge they did before the movie was pretty good, and helps get you ready for the movie. I saw Narnia there 3 times. For me, that was the best! They did this cool light and music thing right before the movie starts and made it snow like crazy inside the theater. It was really cool! Now my next trip up there is July 7 to see Pirates. I am sure that will be a very good experience as well. If you have the time, everyone should try to see a movie there at least once. And the VIP ticket is the way to go! :)

jrad32
06-22-2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. We got second row left Balcony VIP seats for the Saturday July 15 10 a.m. show. My wife is really looking forward to it. How far a walk is it from the El Cap to the Chinese Theater with the handprints?

Tinkermommy
06-22-2006, 08:27 AM
VERY close. (Yahoo maps says it's 1/10 of a mile.) You just cross the street (there is a signaled crosswalk right outside the El Capitan) and turn left. It will be on your right hand side, and as you can imagine, you can't miss it; if not for the giant Asian-looking building, but because of the mobs of tourists. Be sure to look down at the Walk of Fame (the stars along the sidewalk) as you walk -- I'm not a star-a-holic, but I got so excited the first time I saw Greta Garbo's star. Go figure.

There are so many "vintage" prints inside the courtyard -- it's really a fun way to pass some time. And don't worry about feeling like a goofy tourist -- EVERYbody does it.

I'm so excited for you guys -- now I think I'm gonna have to plan a trip myself -- LOL.

HarbinsMom
06-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Graumann's Chinese is right across the street from the El Capitan. We saw the premiere of SkyHigh last year there and Cars this year. It was wonderful. You guys will have so much fun. Don't forget to go to the Soda Fountain. They usually have a special ice cream dish for each movie, so make sure you look for it. We had so much fun there and the balcony is a great place to see the movie.

Andrew
06-22-2006, 01:18 PM
There are so many "vintage" prints inside the courtyard -- it's really a fun way to pass some time. And don't worry about feeling like a goofy tourist -- EVERYbody does it.

How did he do such fantastic stunts with such tiny feet? ;)

cstephens
06-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. We got second row left Balcony VIP seats for the Saturday July 15 10 a.m. show. My wife is really looking forward to it. How far a walk is it from the El Cap to the Chinese Theater with the handprints?

Cool. One additional thing - most people probably wouldn't think to bring a camera to a movie, but if you're inclined, you should for this. You can take pictures of the way the El Cap is decorated for the movie and of the props as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

HarbinsMom
06-22-2006, 02:18 PM
The camera suggestion is a great one. You can go across the street to the Kodak theatre and if you go to the highest level you can, you can get a great picture of the Hollywood sign. You can also park at the Hollywood/Highland structure. Take your parking stub and the El Capitan will validate. I think the first 4 hours are free with validation. We were there 2 weeks ago and had a blast.