PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Hotel

taingirlsmom
06-21-2006, 08:46 AM
We are staying at the DH next week and since it is our first time I was wondering if there was a certain area we should request?? Also what should we be certain to see at the hotel?

Thank you for the help!

twist1980
06-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Make sure you walk over to the Bonita tower (if you aren't already staying in it). Over near the Bonita tower you can see the waterfalls (make sure you catch them during the day and at night) and the koi ponds. The grounds really aren't nearly as big as what I pictured, but they are beautiful.

There are some character cutouts throughout the resort and my BF and I had a blast running around and posing with them. It kept us entertained! :)

Bolivar
06-21-2006, 10:08 AM
On check in I would request the Sierra Tower, sixth floor or above, Downtown Disney side. This will give you a view of the park. This would technically be a "view" room that people pay extra for so you may not get it -- this time of year, you likely will not get it, but you can always ask.

Tinkermommy
06-21-2006, 10:19 AM
If you have kids, they might enjoy a pool view. The pool is Neverland-themed, and is our favorite view.

When we stayed in May, I didn't see as many of the character cutouts as I have in the past. They appear to be painted plywood, and have been there for 8 years that I know of, so they may be wearing out.

The Neverland pool has small and larger waterslides; there is also a smaller pool with sand around it (and consequently, in it). The Neverland pool doesn't have a deep end (except for a roped off area at the end of the big slide), so it's a lot of fun for kids to swim and play in the pool.

One of our favorite things is to play with the token operated boats in the courtyard. They look like Jungle Cruise boats, and you can drive them all over the little lagoon. If you do certain things (like pilot your boat through a little cave), it makes noises or other activities (although they don't always work, but somehow, that's part of the charm). The best deal is to buy a bunch of the tokens and use them throughout your stay. We always keep one for "next time."

If you have kids, make sure they see that the Tinker Bell wall borders glow in the dark a little bit when you first turn out the lights...my little girl LOVES that!

Be sure to have your pic taken with the giant Mickey outside the front, and with the 50th Castle mock up that's out front temporarily. On the ground floor in the tower where registration is, take the time to look at the maps and photos on the walls. Fascinating!

We've had awesome rooms, and awful rooms. But both times we got awful rooms (one looked straight out on a horrible, noisy air conditioning unit -- and nothing else!), we declined the room and they found us a better one. I'd only do that in extreme circumstances, but I'd hate to see you in that air conditioning room...:eek:

Mark Mywords
06-21-2006, 11:32 AM
We always try to get the Sierra Tower, Downtown Disney side, lower floors. It's really nice to take the afternoon nap and wake up to the sound of music groups playing in Downtown Disney.

We're going next week (and staying at the Disneyland hotel, also) too. Can't wait!!!

shawnarae
06-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Last time I was there (Memorial Day weekend) we were upgraded (for free) to a suite in the Bonita Tower. It was great! Facing the pool & on the top floor. We could see the fireworks PERFECT from our room :)

Disney Downunder
06-21-2006, 09:33 PM
We are staying at the DH next week and since it is our first time I was wondering if there was a certain area we should request?? Also what should we be certain to see at the hotel?

Thank you for the help!

If staying conceirge, get a pool view from your room as you get the DTD view from the concierge room. Best of both worlds. If not, the DTD view is pretty special.

With your 3yo girls, they may like Croc's Bites and Bits. Kids meals come in little themed plastic lunch boxes which are cute.

The character breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen would be fun too.

Bolivar
06-22-2006, 08:39 AM
So the advice you have gotten is to ask for:

Sierra Tower, upper floors, DTD side
Sierra Tower, lower floors, DTD side
Pool side
Bonita Tower, upper floors, Pool side

I think the lesson is that we each like different things and that almost any room will be great.

taingirlsmom
06-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Thank you all for the help. It's nice to know that almost anywhere would be great ( except for the AC room!). I am really looking forward to the boats and waterfall.

MouseFaninQueue
06-22-2006, 08:18 PM
When we went last May, we really enjoyed the un-themed pool. It was very quiet, the water was warm, there were life jackets if you wanted them, and our 3-1/2yr old loved playing there in the peace and quiet. Its also very close to the coin-operated washing machines so we spend one afternoon doing laundry and swimming. We loved all the little details in the room (tinkerbell wall paper border, mickey handles in bathroom) Then we went back last October and stayed off-site. It was cheaper but didn't have the same magical feeling.

jMom
06-22-2006, 10:14 PM

Thank you for the help!

I raise my hand for the Marina Tower.

Because I usually arrive late in the evening with a toddler and a preschooler (after a 9-hour drive), I find it very nice to stay at the check-in tower. Less distance to walk with the kiddos and so close to the parking!

Also, the falls at Bonita Towers, while beautiful and fun, would have scared the bee-jeebers out of my sleeping toddler at 11pm upon check-in. We stayed in Marina once and got a poolside view room, which was nice. Last time, I requested a room change and got 6th floor almost directly over the main entrance. There was some noise from cars and busses, but it was usally at times when we were on the go anyhow. Also, this year we had a couch (that could become a daybed) in our room. VERY nice for all the kid-equipment and fun for the kids to play on!

Bonus: Saw the fireworks show from our balcony. At the end, we closed the curtains, and turned in. Now we loved seeing them up close, but at the end of a hot, busy day, it was rather cool to see the show and then not have to deal with fighting our way out of the park.

And: When my husband or our friends join us, it's very easy to find our room! Oh yeah: Marina Tower is close to the coffee store and has two stores on the ground floor.

But I agree, probably anywhere there is good! My 3.5 y-o daughter loves the swimming pool w/ the pirate ship and waterfall, the Tinkerbell wallpaper, and the Sneezy tissue dispenser. Have a great trip!