PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disneys original TV shows, or Vault Disney

zombie pirate
06-21-2006, 03:43 AM
Has anyone seen the original Disneyland TV shows starring Walt Disney, and The Disneyland TV shows after he was no longer the narrator. They where great. I found all by old vhs tapes and have been watching them. They have a great 1 hour BW episode of how the Pirates of the Carribean ride was thought up, made, all the kinks worked out, and at the end they take you thru a complete journey thru the ride as if your seeing from the boat. Another episode was narrated by a teenage Kurt Russell, starring the Osmond family, yes the Osmonds-Brady bunch style, Takes you thru the park back in the late 1960, or early 1970s. Top it off with a segment on the construction of, then a journey thru the Haunted Mansion. These shows where like a day at the Magic Kingdom. I hope they come out on DVD someday. They could make a fortune, Do you hear that, powers that be at Disneyland.

danyoung
06-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Some of them are already out on DVD, in the special editions that come in the silver tins. And the Pirates episode is actually in COLOR - I was just looking at it today. The 2nd half of this show is the introduction of the all new 1967 Tomorrowland, with that beautiful Peoplemover and the redesigned Skyway buckets. Very cool, and Disney does need to release more of them.

Opus1guy
06-21-2006, 12:35 PM
They have a great 1 hour BW episode of how the Pirates of the Carribean ride was thought up, made, all the kinks worked out, and at the end they take you thru a complete journey thru the ride as if your seeing from the boat.

My copy of that show is in Color, not Black & White. Walt Disney's Sunday night TV show became "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" in September of 1961. The episode you refer to was filmed and aired "In Living Color...on N.B.C." If yours is Black & White...it either was just recorded that way, so old and deteriorated that it's not tracking properly, or it's such a crummy pirated copy (ironic, huh? ;)) that the color is washed out.

I hope they come out on DVD someday. They could make a fortune, Do you hear that, powers that be at Disneyland.

I think at least some of these you mention have been released on DVD. There's a large tin boxed collectors edition CD out on Disneyland that I think contains at least a few of these show?

Anyway...I've got 'em all and more. They're great shows. And I've got 'em all on DVD. But that's because I transfered my old VHS tapes over to DVDs a short time ago. And I did this just in time it seems. Some of the quality of the oldest tapes is starting to deteriorate and I've actually had a couple of tapes break and need re-attaching to the spool.

Niwel
06-21-2006, 12:56 PM
I love Disneyland Showtime :) For more DL shows, check out this story (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm050802sl)

PirateSmile
06-21-2006, 02:27 PM
I miss Vault Disney! I used to love watching that when I was little.

Gone2Disneyland
06-21-2006, 04:54 PM
The Ultimate Guide to Disney DVD website has a convenient list of all the current and rumored titles out under the Walt Disney Treasures series that's been referred to in this thread. Specifically, "Disneyland USA" in wave one has the episode that celebrates the 10th anniversary of Disneyland by included a look the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. "Tomorrowland" in wave three is full of Disney episodes, all themed to future science and rocketry.

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/treasures.html

I'd like to add that the "On the Front Lines" set also in wave three is wild to watch! How weird to see Disney animation used as wartime propaganda. Incredible and recommended. :)

TikiGeek
06-21-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm waiting for Walt Disney's True-Life Nature Series to come out on DVD. Some of them came out years ago on VHS.

The one titled The Living Desert (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046008/) changed my life and gave me a life long love of the Southwest desert. It won the Oscar that year for best documentary. :)

PapiBear
06-21-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm waiting for Walt Disney's True-Life Nature Series to come out on DVD. Some of them came out years ago on VHS.

The one titled The Living Desert (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046008/) changed my life and gave me a life long love of the Southwest desert. It won the Oscar that year for best documentary. :)Me too. Oh man, I used to just love watching 16mm versions of the various True Life Adventures and the even-lesser-known People and Places series in elementary and junior high school, as well as the Jiminy Cricket "I'm No Fool" series, the Donald Duck fire safety programs, and even some educational films with Ludwig von Drake.

The major True Life Adventure feature films, though, would make a terrific box set.

WITron
06-22-2006, 12:39 AM
I have some of those episodes on VHS and never thought to get them transfered to DVD. Did you do it yourself or have a service do it for you? If you had a service do it how much did it cost?

Opus1guy
06-22-2006, 10:25 AM
I have some of those episodes on VHS and never thought to get them transfered to DVD. Did you do it yourself or have a service do it for you? If you had a service do it how much did it cost?

I do it myself. I've got a Panasonic DVD burner. I've burned over 150 DVD's so far, which I know because I'm on my forth pack of 50 blank DVD's. I've got just a bit over 200 more to go, but a few of those I'll probably trash as I come across ones that are now duplicates due to a later acquisition of the same content, or simply are no longer of any interest to me. None of these are movies. They are various television specials, video press kits, old TV episodes, etc, etc.

It's a huge task but what I'm doing is simply whenever I'm in the room, I drop in a blank DVD and a tape and just walk away...letting her rip 2 hours to 2 hours. My real time consumer is when I have a VHS that has mixed content that was recorded in various speeds. In those cases as an example...a "2 hour tape" might actually contain 3 or more hours of material. I have to make sure I don't screw up with those types and miss transferring any content, as I'm now recording all the new DVD's in 2 Hour mode. About 25% of my tapes have mixed speed content, unfortunately.

At the rate I'm going and with all my traveling on business and pleasure that causes me to be away from home...it's going to take me at least a year to finish the project. One tape at a time.

I was one of the "first kids on the block" to have a home VHS VCR when they first came out in 1977. I almost purchased a Sony Betamax the year before, but decided to wait and I'm glad I did. Though I do own a collection of Betamax tapes...but that's a different long story. ;) And since I was an avid "collector" of various specials...I accumulated quite a video library over the last almost 30 years.

And let me tell you...in the early years it was not a cheap hobby! Aside from the $800 I spent on my VCR...the blank tapes back then were $29.95 each! On sale! And $29.95 in 1977 was a huge amount of money. What's a tape cost now? 2 bucks? Sure glad blank DVD's are down to under a buck! :)

The old man
06-22-2006, 09:02 PM
The Ultimate Guide to Disney DVD website has a convenient list of all the current and rumored titles out under the Walt Disney Treasures series that's been referred to in this thread. Specifically, "Disneyland USA" in wave one has the episode that celebrates the 10th anniversary of Disneyland by included a look the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. "Tomorrowland" in wave three is full of Disney episodes, all themed to future science and rocketry.

What do you mean by "wave one" and wave three"?

Gone2Disneyland
06-22-2006, 10:17 PM
What do you mean by "wave one" and wave three"?
They refer to each group of Walt Disney Treasures DVDs that's been or will be released.

Over the past few years, there've been five groups released, with three or four DVD titles in each group. Somehow, I've always seen each group referred to as "waves." So, the first group of four DVDs that were released were referred to as "wave one," the second group released a year later as "wave two," the third as "wave three," and so on. And that's how the Ultimate Disney site titled each group as well, shown by the links right at the top of their page: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/treasures.html

zombie pirate
06-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Do they have a recording of the grand opening of Disneyland, back in 1955

Niwel
06-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Do they have a recording of the grand opening of Disneyland, back in 1955

Yes -- on Disneyland USA, which was in wave 1. :)

zombie pirate
06-23-2006, 04:33 AM
Yes -- on Disneyland USA, which was in wave 1. :)
Awww man I dont get paid till tuesday.

Gone2Disneyland
06-23-2006, 07:02 AM
Awww man I dont get paid till tuesday.
And you'll need to hunt for "Disneyland USA" on eBay and pay premium for it. That title and the rest of the wave one collections have been sold out at retail for quite a while. But if you get a copy, you will be pleased. :D