PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn, make it like Everest!

Mickey
06-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Well arriving from WDW for the first time , went on Ex. Everest, and said why don`t they make a majkor refurbishment to the Matterhorn and do something new, music in cars, more efects, I know it,s much smaller space but hey it,s disney and they do magic!!! so I really wish they can surprise all of us these days leaving the matterhorn as an all new thrill ride!!!

what do you think?

Disney Vault
06-20-2006, 04:04 PM
I think the Matterhorn could use more updates and plusing but that is it. The Everest ride system could be used on a new ride for the resort. That parking lot in the corner of DCA is pretty big.

Frogberto
06-20-2006, 04:24 PM
How about they keep the Switzerland theming, paint, exact reproduction of the Matterhorn, costumes, canton shields, and don't mess with the ride by adding friggin' Yetis or Abominable snowmen, which have nothing to do with Switzerland! The nearest ancient legend of one was at least five thousand miles away.

Bring back Switzerland to the Matterhorn... just the way Walt wanted it!

ralfrick
06-20-2006, 05:27 PM
When Walt was alive it was an empty shell with exposed beams and track supports. No thanks.

Cheers.

Frogberto
06-20-2006, 05:38 PM
I didn't say that Walt would have wanted exposed beams and supports. But the original matterhorn was designed in the swiss style, not "house of the monster."

Quote:

"At this time," remembered director Ken Annakin, "Walt had taken a shine to Switzerland and everything Swiss. He used to go there on his summer holidays every year, and adored it, and this story, he felt would be the thing for all young people. No effort was spared to make it as entertaining as the holiday which Walt was taking in Switzerland proved to be for him."

So in another great example of synergy, the new attraction at Disneyland became the Matterhorn (approximately 147 feet high compared to the actual 14,700 feet of the real thing) but it unfortunately did little to improve the box office of the film. It did, however, successfully hide the steel support tower for the Skyway that now went through Disney's first theme park mountain.

When asked why there were holes in the Matterhorn, Walt would smile and reply, "Because it is a Swiss mountain" (the logic being that just as Swiss cheese has holes, so would a Swiss mountain)."

Disney Vault
06-20-2006, 06:06 PM
I feel the current abobinal (no idea how to spell that:p ) snowman really doesn't play a huge role in Matterhorn so he doesn't bug me by being there. I would say the Matterhorn has improved in so many ways since Walt built it.

Opus1guy
06-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Walt wanted the interior of the mountain finished off, but they ran out of time and money for it. The 1959 Expansion (http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uploads/1959expansion.jpg) of Disneyland once again put Walt and his Park in hock up to their credit limit.

But the increased attendance generated from the whole 1959 expansion later saw to it that Walt paid off his entire Disneyland loan with Bank of America a short 6 years later. :)

Back when they did finish off the interior with the whole "What's Gotten Into The Matterhorn" new Matterhorn refurb...many of the interviews and articles at the time were about how Walt had always planned to finish it off someday when funds and time where next available.

Just took a little longer than originally hoped for. :)

Frogberto
06-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Walt wanted the interior of the mountain finished off, but they ran out of time and money for it. The 1959 Expansion (http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uploads/1959expansion.jpg) of Disneyland once again put Walt and his Park in hock up to their credit limit.

But the increased attendance generated from the whole 1959 expansion later saw to it that Walt paid off his entire Disneyland loan with Bank of America a short 6 years later. :)

Back when they did finish off the interior with the whole "What's Gotten Into The Matterhorn" new Matterhorn refurb...many of the interviews and articles at the time were about how Walt had always planned to finish it off someday when funds and time where next available.

Just took a little longer than originally hoped for. :)

Ah. Very nice. You are a credit to this board! But, the question remains, as suggested in my post,

Would Walt have Wanted an angry snowman in his Swiss Mountain?

Hmm?

Disney Vault
06-20-2006, 06:50 PM
I would love for the Matterhorn to get an updated paint job. Averest looks very nice. I don't mean use the same colors but it just shows you how much more detail there could be.

Opus1guy
06-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Would Walt have Wanted an angry snowman in his Swiss Mountain?

I can't answer that. But Walt was known to take creative license with many things in his Park and his movies. So if he thought it "felt" right...you could have seen him do such a thing, IMHO.

Considering that the real Matterhorn sits right on the border between Switzerland and Italy and yet Walt always called it a Swiss mountain and never gave Italy any "credit" at all...I guess you could say that is a perfect example of his "creative license."

Unlike the real one...Walt's Matterhorn is 100% Emmenthaler.

;)

animagusurreal
06-20-2006, 10:28 PM
The 1959 Expansion (http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uploads/1959expansion.jpg)

This is a little OT, but what was the "Glacier Grotto" mentioned just before The Matterhorn in the sign pic linked to above.

Opus1guy
06-20-2006, 10:37 PM
This is a little OT, but what was the "Glacier Grotto" mentioned just before The Matterhorn in the sign pic linked to above.

Well...that was basically part of the finishing off of the interior of the Matterhorn that we're talking about. But more specifically...there was supposed to be more of a "show" as your Skyway bucket passed through the Matterhorn. That was supposed to be Glacier Grotto. Unfortunately that became just "those two holes in the Matterhorn" by the time of the Matterhorn's opening. See? Budget cuts even back then. ;)

If it had been built...perhaps Walt might have put the snowman there? :)

animagusurreal
06-20-2006, 11:14 PM
See? Budget cuts even back then. ;)

Thanks for the info. :)

Couldn't they have gotten a corporate sponsor, like "Frigidaire presents Glacier Grotto"? :D

Enter The Mouse
06-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I think the matterhorn needs some changes.

I think they need to re create the Yeti, thats one of the best parts of the ride. They need to add more to the inside of the mountain. They need new effects. What if inside the muntain you hear a loud rumbling and the car shakes as ice falls all around you. It would be like the start of an avalanch. You speed up down the mountain and end just in time. It would add a story to the matterhorn.

kenban
06-21-2006, 06:04 PM
The structure was never built to support a train like what is used on Everest. To prevent damage the mountain and the EE track each have their own support structure and the two actually never touch each other. To update the matterhorn to use any type of more standard rollar coaster train would require at least removal of the exterior, a new support structure, then building a new mountain. It would be more radical then the work being done to the subs.

olegc
06-21-2006, 08:07 PM
The structure was never built to support a train like what is used on Everest. To prevent damage the mountain and the EE track each have their own support structure and the two actually never touch each other. To update the matterhorn to use any type of more standard rollar coaster train would require at least removal of the exterior, a new support structure, then building a new mountain. It would be more radical then the work being done to the subs.

yup - and to use anything like the Yeti - and calling it the Yeti - may actually mean retheming to an Asian mountain - which goes away from the traditional setting of the Mattrhorn and the "Third man on the mountain" film.

Harold was added, along with the ringing crystals and falling snow effect, to plus the mountain and get people to come back - and they were major changes at that time but ones that could be done with the structure..

Besides - I like the idea of something to visit in Orlando and something to visit here. Homogenizing rides throughout all parks makes them less appealing overall in my opinion (event Pirates in WDW is different, and not as good).
Remember that I think the matterhorn was the first steel tube coaster in Southern California, if not the US - is that not correct? pretty historic all around..

Disney Vault
06-21-2006, 08:27 PM
One thing I would like to see added to the matterhorn is the misters. It seems like that would be an easy thing to add and it really adds to the atmosphere.