PDA

View Full Version : Something new to enjoy

Pages : [1] 2

rentayenta
06-20-2006, 02:21 PM
We have taken family trips to Disneyland for the past 2 Decembers. Each time we have tried to make the trips extra special, like DL isn't special enough. ;) We will be returning this December and I am trying to think of new things to do. Here are what we've done and enjoyed:

~holiday tree delived to DLH room through VP
~autographed pics and balloons through VP
~frosted cookies on Main St.
~Princess dinner 3x
~Build-A-Bear
~Libby Lu
~Goofy's kitchen 3x
~Plaza Inn b-day party

Here is what I am considering. Our children will be 9, 8, and 5. They are not picky eaters and have good restaurant manners:

~a tour- which one?
~Napa Rose
~seating for EP or F!
~the BP Pirate dinner. I am not a huge fan of leaving the atmosphere of the park to venture out unless it's to the beach which will do for sure one day.
~The Blue Bayou. DS and I have been but DH and the girls haven't.

I have already decided that we will be doing:

~Lilo and Stitch breakfast

Any other ideas? Thank you. :) We will have 5 days at DL/DCA and one day at the beach.

kohl
06-20-2006, 02:39 PM
If they still have the Discover the Magic tour, that was a lot of fun.
We did it about 2 years ago and my kids are now 8 & 10.
If they don't have that tour available, we did the Christmas tour last November. The kids did really enjoy it. I thought they might get bored, but it was fun because it was Christmas time.
I would also recommend doing F! either balcony or riverside.The kids really loved that too!
We also try to do something new that we haven't done before. This next trip we are staying at the DLH with concierge! We are so excited!!!
Good luck with your decision.

rentayenta
06-20-2006, 02:45 PM
If they still have the Discover the Magic tour, that was a lot of fun.
We did it about 2 years ago and my kids are now 8 & 10.
If they don't have that tour available, we did the Christmas tour last November. The kids did really enjoy it. I thought they might get bored, but it was fun because it was Christmas time.
I would also recommend doing F! either balcony or riverside.The kids really loved that too!
We also try to do something new that we haven't done before. This next trip we are staying at the DLH with concierge! We are so excited!!!

Concierge will be so nice. You guys are going to have a blast!

What's the difference between Riverside and the balcony seating for F! other than the obvious- where you sit?

Can you tell me about the tours please?

kohl
06-20-2006, 03:00 PM
With balcony seating for F!, you are seated up high. You walk throught the gallery and they seat you when everything is ready. From what I can remember there was fresh fruit, cheese and crackers, black forest cake, cheesecake, maybe more but I can't remember. Also they serve hot chocolate, coffee, mint julep or whatever else you might want.
Riverside is down below right in front of the river. The desserts were different, but still great! Chocolate dipped strawberries, mickey rice krispie treats, biscotti, sugar cookies with a raspberry filling, can't remember what else. I think I ate too many chocolate covered strawberries that night! Both are buffet style.
If you want to try to get Balcony seats, you need to call I think it is 30 days out and start calling 5 minutes before 8am because they sell out within minutes.
The Discover the Magic tour is geared more for kids, but all the adults had a great time. You go on a hunt for something (Don't want to give it away) and along the way you meet up with some characters (It varies which character).
You do some fun things along the way. You get lunch at the Mexican restaurant in DL. My kids want to do it again so we hope it is still there.
The Christmas tour talks about the Christmas decorations and some of the history with DL and Christmas. I thought the kids would get bored, but they really enjoyed hearing what the tour guide had to say. We would like to try the 50th tour so I would love to hear what people have to say about it.

rentayenta
06-20-2006, 03:15 PM
The Discover the Magic tour sounds like fun especially if there is some sort of hunt involved. My DS5 would love that! I would like to hear more about the 50th tour as well. We really enjoyed the 50th movie.

The desserts all sound great but the Riverside offerings sound more like what we'd enjoy. I could OD on chocolate covered strawberries. Any idea what goes on for the Electrical Parade?

I guess I should mention that we are staying at the DLH or the PPH. I can't talk DH into the GCH yet.

kohl
06-20-2006, 03:17 PM
We have not done the EP yet. That is on our must do list.
All of us enjoyed the desserts at riverside more, but loved the view from the balcony.

CamCay
06-20-2006, 03:33 PM
We tried to do the Discover the Magic tour at Christmas last year and they said they didn't offer it during the holidays. It sounded like a lot of fun too, and since we go every year, twice a year, i thought it would be different thing to try too.

disneyochem
06-20-2006, 03:35 PM
I strongly recommend the Discover the Magic Tour. We did it when my girls were 5 and 7. Lots of character interaction, play (i.e., as pirates you take over one of the Tom Sawyer rafts), lunch and end up with a visit to Mickey! My girls still talk about that tour. It was a nice way to visit the park--we go twice a year so was nice to do something completely different. (And a little Mary Poppins story--my favorite! On the tour, we met Bert and Mary and took a carousel ride with them! Be still my beating heart!!)

We did the riverside buffet this past May. I felt it was a waste of money for my girls--no way did they eat enough to justify the cost! They had hot chocolate, a couple of strawberries and one cookie! When I go again, it will be with girlfriends!

The breakfast at Lilo and Stitch was a lot of fun. We enjoyed it more than Goofy's Kitchen last visit. Much more character interactions, played a number of games and, best of all, the girls were able to order off the menu!

We are staying at PPH in November and will be heading back to Lilo & Stitch!

hbquikcomjamesl
06-20-2006, 03:46 PM
When the kids are a bit older, you might consider the Walt's Footsteps tour. But the youngest is probably too young, and maybe the older 2 as well.

rentayenta
06-20-2006, 05:16 PM
I strongly recommend the Discover the Magic Tour. We did it when my girls were 5 and 7. Lots of character interaction, play (i.e., as pirates you take over one of the Tom Sawyer rafts), lunch and end up with a visit to Mickey! My girls still talk about that tour. It was a nice way to visit the park--we go twice a year so was nice to do something completely different. (And a little Mary Poppins story--my favorite! On the tour, we met Bert and Mary and took a carousel ride with them! Be still my beating heart!!)

We did the riverside buffet this past May. I felt it was a waste of money for my girls--no way did they eat enough to justify the cost! They had hot chocolate, a couple of strawberries and one cookie! When I go again, it will be with girlfriends!

The breakfast at Lilo and Stitch was a lot of fun. We enjoyed it more than Goofy's Kitchen last visit. Much more character interactions, played a number of games and, best of all, the girls were able to order off the menu!

We are staying at PPH in November and will be heading back to Lilo & Stitch!

I hope they are doing the Discover the Magic Tour. Anyone know the cost for 2 adults and 3 children? I thought I read something about the Holiday tour giving front row seats to the parade and hot chocolate?

We were very unimpressed with out last visit to Goofy's. We always have a blast at the Princess dinner but it's time we choose one for DS. All the kids like Lilo and Stitch.

I am thinking the balcony for F! is out. A good friend told me that unless you are the first row-you still have heads in front of you and that they pack the balcony with too many people.

hbquik, the Walt tour sounds like my cup of tea. My older two love Walt but you are right, DS is too young.

kohl
06-20-2006, 06:11 PM
If you check www.mousesavers.com they have the tours listed with the price. It says the Discover the Magic tour is 20% off if you pay with a Disney VISA or if you have an AP, you pay $39 for the first 2 tickets, then $29 for each additional tickets.
You do get seats for the parade with the Christmas tour. The seats were by IASW. You get a souvenir mug of hot chocolate and a giant cookie.
We did the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour when my son was I think 6. He did enjoy it a lot. My kids LOVE to learn ANYTHING about Walt. With that tour we got lunch at The Golden Horseshoe.

rentayenta
06-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks kohl!!!! I would love to do the Walt's or Discover the Magic Tour. My girls both love anything to do with Walt too. The food at the Horseshoe is good too. Hmmm, decisions decisions. Too bad our passes will have expired by then. I like that the tours can be booked 30 days in advance. Do I pay over the phone when I book? I am thinking of upgrading at least one Hopper to an AP after we use the EE and Mickey's ToonTown Madness portion of it. Can I say I have a pass and show them when I get there or do they need the number when I book?

Okay so far I am thinking the Discover the Magic tour...................

Anymore ideas????

kohl
06-21-2006, 07:10 AM
Yes, you do pay over the phone. Not sure about if you tell them you are getting an AP, but you could always ask.
The food on the Walt's tour wasn't from The Golden Horseshoe. You placed your order before going on the tour. I can't remember everything, but they had a few differen't sandwiches and salads to choose from. From what I remember they were a little fancier sandwiches, not just turkey and cheese. The thing I do remember was the cheesecake! You each get an individual cheesecake and they are SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!

Bolivar
06-21-2006, 08:25 AM
I guess I should mention that we are staying at the DLH or the PPH. I can't talk DH into the GCH yet.
I have never stayed at PPH so can't comment on that, but having stayed at the other two, I can say that I like the DLH much better than GCH. GCH is beautiful and closer, but the DLH has larger rooms and feels more "Disney" than GCH.

SeansMom
06-21-2006, 10:27 AM
~holiday tree delived to DLH room through VP

May I ask how much this service costs? It sounds like so much fun! Was it a real tree, or artificial???

Here's some picture ideas: If you've never done this, take pictures at all the Kodak Picture Spots.

Give your kids disposable cameras, and let them take their own pictures. Kids take the most interesting pictures sometimes (both good ones and bad!)

Have those folks that want to take your picture take pictures with your OWN camera (all of them we asked were happy to do it.)

rentayenta
06-21-2006, 11:34 AM
I have never stayed at PPH so can't comment on that, but having stayed at the other two, I can say that I like the DLH much better than GCH. GCH is beautiful and closer, but the DLH has larger rooms and feels more "Disney" than GCH.

The GCH is beautiful but staying there would add an additional $500 on. The DLH is only $220 more for the 6 nights. We have stayed the PPH and the DLH and we like both. DH likes the PPH better because of the beach meets Disney theme but the girls love the DLH due to the Tink border and it's so Disney. I can't decide.

Sean'sMom, the tree was $150 two years ago. I heard that last year it went up in price but I'm not sure by how much. It is a great keepsake and when we brought it out last year, we all awwwww'd. It brought back such great memories. I feel it was well worth it. If you email VP they will send you a list of what they offer as far as stockings, baskets, and trees with prices.

I like the Kodak spot idea as well as taking pics in all of the Golden Vehicles.

Jewels
06-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Sean'sMom, the tree was $150 two years ago. I heard that last year it went up in price but I'm not sure by how much.

We got the tree last November and it was $165. It was also a special 50th version and came with a photo frame. Honestly I liked the one we got in 2004 a lot better. So the price may come back down this year.

I also have to say we really enjoyed the Holiday Tour we took last year. We walked around the park and our guide pointed out all the holiday decor and stories. It was a lot of fun. It also got you reserved seats (chairs set up over by IASW) for the holiday parade and a really cute mug (you get to keep the mug) of hot cocoa and a cookie.

erinzgirl
06-21-2006, 04:39 PM
ok, I checked the FAQ (what are all the acronyms) and didn't find a listing for VP -- help! And thanks:fez:

rentayenta
06-21-2006, 06:53 PM
We got the tree last November and it was $165. It was also a special 50th version and came with a photo frame. Honestly I liked the one we got in 2004 a lot better. So the price may come back down this year.

I also have to say we really enjoyed the Holiday Tour we took last year. We walked around the park and our guide pointed out all the holiday decor and stories. It was a lot of fun. It also got you reserved seats (chairs set up over by IASW) for the holiday parade and a really cute mug (you get to keep the mug) of hot cocoa and a cookie.

Jewels, I love IASW, hot cocoa, and the parade- that might be the tour for me! :D I saw your pic of the 50th tree and I thought it was beautiful. I wonder what this year's will be like.

erinzgirl, VP is vacation planning. My favorite gentleman there just recently passed away. :crying: I usually plan my trips with him and I have been thinking of him a lot lately.

Jewels
06-21-2006, 11:15 PM
I was wondering about the tree this year too. I really like when it is more holiday. And I missed the Mickey shaped ornaments on last years. Looks like we will have to skip our holiday trip this year with the new puppy coming. So I will be looking forward to next year and enjoying your trip report.

Here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm031211sl.htm)is an article on the Holiday Tour. I had forgot the best part of getting on HM and IASW with out waiting. That was a nice little treat too.

rentayenta
06-22-2006, 10:52 AM
I was wondering about the tree this year too. I really like when it is more holiday. And I missed the Mickey shaped ornaments on last years. Looks like we will have to skip our holiday trip this year with the new puppy coming. So I will be looking forward to next year and enjoying your trip report.

Here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm031211sl.htm)is an article on the Holiday Tour. I had forgot the best part of getting on HM and IASW with out waiting. That was a nice little treat too.

Thanks for the article link. It sounds like fun. It would be a kick to be able to sit in a chair during a parade and not have to wait 2 hours, sitting on the curb, before hand.

A new puppy is waaaaaaaay better than a trip to Disneyland IHMO. Enjoy!

Anyone ever do the seating for the Electrical Parade? Do they offer desserts as well?

DaddyB
06-22-2006, 11:08 AM
I highly recommend asking for a ride in the Pilot's House of the Mark Twain... and it's free! Just knock on the door that says "private" on the third level of the Mark Twain when you board...

...and be sure to ask for official riverboat pilot's licenses signed by Walt Disney when you're there!

Promo-Man
06-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Santa has been known to pay a private visit at the Rainforest Cafe, same for a couple other's in Downtown Disney

rentayenta
06-22-2006, 12:20 PM
I highly recommend asking for a ride in the Pilot's House of the Mark Twain... and it's free! Just knock on the door that says "private" on the third level of the Mark Twain when you board...

...and be sure to ask for official riverboat pilot's licenses signed by Walt Disney when you're there!

I am loving this idea and adding it to my list! Fun, new, and free! :D

I was set on the Lilo and Stitch breakfast but the more I hear about Storyteller's the better it sounds. What characters visit the tables and is it buffet or menu? My DD7 loves Chip and Dale and I think that they might be there.

Promo-Man- I like the idea of visiting different Santas. The one in DCA is seemingly less busy than the one in DL. We haven't seen a DTD Santa yet.

Jewels
06-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I was set on the Lilo and Stitch breakfast but the more I hear about Storyteller's the better it sounds. What characters visit the tables and is it buffet or menu? My DD7 loves Chip and Dale and I think that they might be there.

Storyteller's gives you the choice of buffet or ordering off the menu. We found we saved a bit of money ordering off the menu. Last November we saw Chip and Dale, Meeko and Koda. It was a Wednesday morning. Maybe weekends get more characters. The food was really good though.