PDA

View Full Version : Should we skip the park in July?

listener
06-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I've been lurking for a couple of weeks...thanks for the great info!

My son (7, almost 8) and I will be attending a conference in early July and we have three days afterward in which to visit the area. Initially, we planned to invest the days at Disneyland.

Since we are in KY, we go to WDW (it's closer) every three years and have a blast. Now, we will have to skip a trip because our youngest "ain't named Will for nuthin'"...he'll be at least 6 before he can handle the lines. Meanwhile, my middle child will go from 5 to 11 years old with no Disney! Ack!

So, the two of us grabbed the chance to try Disney in CA, since I was going to be there anyway (plane & hotel paid for by work). Now, however, as I read the posts, I wonder if the experience will be more miserable than it's worth. We will be there Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Should we skip it and go to the beach instead? We are hardy park veterans and can certainly get in early, split the day with the pool, use ridemax, etc. But is the park so bad that it would be better to take a pass than leave him with "disney trauma"? Thanks for your expert advice...

disneynut
06-20-2006, 11:52 AM
I'd go ahead and go but then again I'm not one to skip a trip to DL. I would look at the different attractions, make a list of must-sees, use the fastpass system to your advantage, make sure you're in the park in the morning before it gets crowded, and just know that it's going to be busy.

I'd put aside extra money for water. It always amazes me how much more snack money we spend in the summer and it almost all goes to bottles of water.

You can see a lot in 3 days at the resort even on busy days.

CariBelle
06-20-2006, 11:57 AM
As long as you know it's going to be crowded then you'll be fine, I wouldn't skip out on the trip. 3 days is a long time and even with the summer crowds you can get a lot done. Use the Fast Pass system to your advantage, make some priority seating calls for places you want to eat and have your son make a list of things he would really like to do. When you get there you can elavaluate the lines and try to fit in those must dos things. If you get to the park before it opens on a non-early entry day you can make a beeline for Fantasyland and get a bunch of those rides taken care of before the crowd even gets past Main Street.

rentayenta
06-20-2006, 12:29 PM
A crowded trip to Disneyland is better than no trip at all. Have fun!

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
06-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Careful planning, good use of FASTPASS and flexiblitity will ensure a most fabulous trip under any circumstances. Somewhere around here there has to be a thread about good things to do when the park is crowded. I think that it was crowded yesterday. :confused: I never noticed. My longest wait was 18 minutes for the Matterhorn. The only thing that we skipped was Indy. It broke once and they were not giving out FPs due to the whole traffic control situation.
7 almost 8 year old boys will run all over Tom Sawyer's Island in a pinch. I always do that to avoid thinking about queue times. At the end of the day, you could have a stack of FPs. I usually do. Get a hopper pass. You can go to DCA when DL gets too crowded. Get FPs for Soaring, TOT, CA Screaming and GRR. There is never a wait for It's Tough to be a Bug. 7 year old boys love those rides.

junglemom
06-20-2006, 12:40 PM
I'd put aside extra money for water. It always amazes me how much more snack money we spend in the summer and it almost all goes to bottles of water.

And remember that every vendor that sells fountain soda will give you a free ice water. That is great especially if you have an aversion to fountains.

And IMO just use these boards to find the best way to handle the crowds. And as Caribelle said, if you know it will be crowded then you can handle it much better. Just make sure to utilize the FastPass system!

Rentayenta is soooo right....any day in DL is a great day!

disneynut
06-20-2006, 12:47 PM
And remember that every vendor that sells fountain soda will give you a free ice water. That is great especially if you have an aversion to fountains.

I don't know why but I've never thought about getting ice water from the soda fountain places. Thanks!

I really dislike drinking fountains (hence the huge water bill). I always cringe when my kids get in the pirate line and try to grab a drink in that dang fountain. I pull them off everytime.

Koala Gurl
06-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I just learned about the ice water thing too (since DD LOVES to try to drink out of her own cup.) :)

Definintely any trip is better than no trip. There is also a different something special about summer days (and especially summer nights) at the park.

I firmly believe one's expectation for the trip is one of the most important factors in having a good time. As long as you are mentally prepared for it...it should be fine.

Frogberto
06-20-2006, 02:34 PM
No, go! It helps a little if you have a plan like the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland, or use RideMax, but even then, if you expect crowds, and plan your time, you'll have a good time. I'll be there the weekend after 4th of July, and I expect it to be busy, but from experience, this is what helps:

1. Get there 1/2 hour to 40 minutes after the park opens;
2. Use your time from opening to about 11am as efficiently as possible;
3. Learn about FastPass, and use it, as efficiently as possible;
4. At 11am, have lunch, thus beating the 12pm rush;
5. From whenever lunch ends to 5pm is the time with the longest lines, so consider any of the following, which have shorter lines:

a. Tom Sawyer's Island;
b. The Mark Twain Paddleboat;
c. Tarzan's Treehouse;
d. Enchanted Tiki Room;
e. Anything in California Adventure (Don't laugh - it really is less crowded there!);
f. Golden Horseshoe;
e. Snow White's Theatrical Show.

I'd eat at, or just before, 5pm again, to avoid the dinner crowds, and then begin seeing rides again that you missed from 8am to 11am, and make SURE that you make time for the parade of dreams, the fireworks, and Fantasmic. Note that the afternoon and evening has more shows to see, which is perfect for tired feet.

Have a great time, and like everyone else said, drink plenty of water!

ktrm
06-20-2006, 09:31 PM

Boy this is a great idea instead of spending on bottled water or lugging around a heavy water bottle. I suppose you still have to wait in a food line to get a cup for the free ice water?

By the way, I'm going in July too even though I know it will be crowded but I also know that there will be extra things going on like the All American Band and two shows of Fantasmic every night. I'm just trying to plan things out like you.

ktrm
06-20-2006, 09:39 PM
From whenever lunch ends to 5pm is the time with the longest lines, so consider any of the following, which have shorter lines:

a. Tom Sawyer's Island;
b. The Mark Twain Paddleboat;
c. Tarzan's Treehouse;
d. Enchanted Tiki Room;
e. Anything in California Adventure (Don't laugh - it really is less crowded there!);
f. Golden Horseshoe;
e. Snow White's Theatrical Show.

Is Snow White's Theatrical Show not very crowded? I am very excited about seeing this show because I have never seen it before. Which show do you think one should see for optimum crowd avoidance in the park? Maybe the 1:00pm or 2:15pm show? Is that when the park is busiest.?

ktrm
06-20-2006, 09:51 PM
If you get to the park before it opens on a non-early entry day you can make a beeline for Fantasyland and get a bunch of those rides taken care of before the crowd even gets past Main Street.

I did notice the last time I was at Disneyland that going to Fantasyland first thing on a non EE day really helped. Fantasyland was mobbed at opening on EE days. I was wondering....Does going to Toontown on a non-morning madness day help as well. For instance should I go to Toontown at 9:00am on a Tuesday in July? I believe that is when Toontown opens when the park opens at 8:00am on a non morning madness day.

CariBelle
06-20-2006, 09:53 PM
I was wondering....Does going to Toontown on a non-morning madness day help as well. For instance should I go to Toontown at 9:00am on a Tuesday in July? I believe that is when Toontown opens when the park opens at 8:00am on a non morning madness day.

I would think it would be less crowded at that time, but I'm not sure. We usually only head into TT for a ride on Roger Rabbit and then leave so I'm sure how crowded it really gets.

ktrm
06-20-2006, 09:59 PM
My little ones like Mickey's House and I would like to avoid a huge line to take pictures with Mickey. The thing I wasn't sure of was that non-morning madness days now coincide with Early Entry Days so I was wondering if the throngs of people from Fantasyland just pile over into Toontown as soon as it opens.

listener
06-21-2006, 06:13 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your encouragement and great ideas! We are sooo looking forward to this!

Frogberto
06-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Is Snow White's Theatrical Show not very crowded? I am very excited about seeing this show because I have never seen it before. Which show do you think one should see for optimum crowd avoidance in the park? Maybe the 1:00pm or 2:15pm show? Is that when the park is busiest.?

I haven't seen anyone turned away for this show, and it appears that given the large size of the theater, there is always an open seat somewhere (and almost every seat is a good one). However, it's usually best to avoid the first, and the last, show of each day -- those tend to be the busiest.

danyoung
06-21-2006, 12:13 PM
We are hardy park veterans and can certainly get in early, split the day with the pool, use ridemax, etc....

You said all of the secrets right there. The people who are disappointed in the summertime are those who wander in at 11am and are blown away by the 60 minute lines on everything. If you get there at opening you can see more in that first couple of hours than in the rest of the day! Use Fastpass, and save the attractions like Honey I Shrunk the Audience or Innoventions for when the lines are long everywhere else. Split for the afternoon, swim and rest, and then come back in the evening for fireworks and more fun ride storming during the last hour or so of park operation.

Absolutely don't be frightened away by what you hear. Disneyland is a far different experience than WDW. Even the much maligned DCA has some great attractions like Soarin' and the new Monsters Inc. You can easily fill up 3 days seeing these 2 parks and enjoying Downtown Disney. Go for it - you won't regret it!

jcruise86
06-21-2006, 01:32 PM
So you've got three days.
Sunday will be supercrowded, but early Sunday mornings are the least crowded daylight hours to drive on S. California roads, so you may want to drive up to Beverly Hills, Sunset Blvd. in West Hollywood, or see other L.A. spots such as The Getty Museum in Brentwood (research the need for Getty parking reservations first--the Getty has great views of L.A. when it's not too smoggy, and to get there you must take a fun ride up to the museum, and the big cafeteria is a good place for lunch. The museum is free but parking is $5.)

Beaches will be crowded on Sunday and you will be surprised by the beach parking prices, but the interesting people you see in Venice Beach would give you something to talk about back home.

I suggest getting two-day park hopper passes for Monday or Tuesday and (like everyone else is suggesting) hanging out in the Main Street shops before the park opens, then going on as many of the most popular attractions as you can during the first two hours. Be sure to hit the attractions that don't exist or that are different at WDW, such as Indiana Jones and our Pirates of the C. For the rest of the day only use Fastpasses for the most popular attractions.

For the middle of the day you may wish to see a matinee at the multi-plex in Downtown Disney. Of course, if you are staying a one of the close hotels on Harbor, get your hands stamped and take an afternoon break.

Have fun!

jcruise86
06-21-2006, 01:47 PM
P.S.
Laguna Beach is a nice place to visit, or if you are up for a long day and you can splurge for the boat ride, Catalina Island would be a fun Sunday trip. If you go there, the bus ride above and around the main town of Avalon and the submarine ride are worthwhile. (You used to be able to see them both with a combo ticket.) You can also rent kiyaks there.
Again, I'd skip Disney on the super-crowded Sunday and go on Monday and Tuesday.

shawnarae
06-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Monday & Tuesday should be really ok. We went last July and it was not too bad at all. Also if you stay on property you can get "Early Morning" advantage of getting in the park an hour early which helped us. I would go in a heartbeat! Especially since it is over a weekday!

Also, remember the 1st two hours is when you need to get the rides you have your heart set on riding done. Then relax as the park fills up. If you have hopper passes go to DCA after lunch. DCA is never really "Disneyland" crowded! Also the last hour Disneyland is open is good to ride rides, and during fireworks & parades :)