PDA

View Full Version : bringing own food to restaurants

Pages : [1] 2 3

cstephens
06-20-2006, 10:23 AM
The topic came up on another board and I was curious as to the opinions here. Someone posted that their kids didn't like the food offered at Blue Bayou and so they were planning on buying food elsewhere or bringing their own food for the kids. I can't remember exactly the ages of the kids, but the kids are old enough that they would normally be ordering off the kid's menu, and there are no dietary considerations - the kids just don't like the choices. There have been varying opinions about the appropriateness of bringing in outside (whether just outside Blue Bayou or outside Disneyland) food to a sit-down restaurant like the Blue Bayou. Some people posted that the servers at Blue Bayou don't care if people bring outside food for kids, so it doesn't sound like it would be breaking any rules.

Any opinions here? Does it make a difference if it was Blue Bayou in its old incarnation or Blue Bayou in its new incarnation (understanding that its new incarnation is also speculation since it's not open yet)? Would it make a difference if it was Carnation Cafe or the new Cafe Orleans? (For non-table-service, I would think there wouldn't be an issue of "outside food".)

Thanks!

Alex S.
06-20-2006, 10:32 AM
As the kids get older I'd consider it increasingly gauche. I understand the pickiness of the child's diet but I think it is part of a parents responsibility to get them over that. It is one thing to say "I don't like tomatoes" and another to be so picky that you have to go hungry at a restaurant with a reasonably diverse menu (such as at Blue Bayou).

If it were me, I'd probably just avoid a restaurant where I knew the kid wouldn't eat. Or if they were old enough make it clear to them that they can eat or not, it's up to them but they'll have to wait until the next meal before the opportunity arises again. But then, I'm not a parent and I don't get too caught up on the parenting choices of others.

However, if they do bring their own food it should be as surreptitious as possible. Especially since it should cause problems at other tables with other children (when they decide they want what they see your kid eating). Of course, at Blue Bayou you can't see as far as the next table so that isn't so much a concern.

DianeM
06-20-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm not a parent either, but I was a kid once, and I can't imagine my parents ever taking me to a restaurant and bringing me food to eat so I wouldn't have to choose from items on the menu. Well, not after I was old enough to eat from the menu, at least. I also can't imagine my brother doing this for my nephew. It seems quite inappropriate, and sets a bad example for the child.

If it were me, I'd probably just avoid a restaurant where I knew the kid wouldn't eat. Or if they were old enough make it clear to them that they can eat or not, it's up to them but they'll have to wait until the next meal before the opportunity arises again. But then, I'm not a parent and I don't get too caught up on the parenting choices of others.

Squeaky
06-20-2006, 10:57 AM
I remember my parents telling me to suck it up and try something new :) Well, not exactly in those words, but I tried a lot of new things and found out I liked them! :)

MammaSilva
06-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Since the BB is the specific location mentioned, I'd say nope, if the child is soooo picky they refuse to eat the standard child menu choices, and then make other arrangements, a baby sitter to take them on attractions while you enjoy your meal or just accept that you've allowed your Childs behavior to impact your trip to the park. Bringing 'outside' food even if it's from somewhere else in the park into a sit down restaurant is beyond tacky and the choices on the kids menu isn't going to be that far off what is available on the kids menus across the park. The only kids menu that has a few extra choices the last time we took the boys & Missy was the Carnation cafe with their p/b/j 'painters palette which was adorable....the standards are the mac/cheese, chicken Mickey nuggets and mini corn dogs....with there being specifics like the chicken kids meal at French/Plaza and the kids pasta meals at Plaza and Red Rockett...

hlbtimes2
06-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Personally, I think its tacky and it would never even cross my mind as an option. Once me kids were past jarred food and dry cherrios they have ordered of the menu no matter where we are. However, my kids have great taste in food. They would rather order a monte cristo or prime rib then eat "kid food".

Mommy2NicknMax
06-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Well I had a situation where one child wanted pizza and the other chicken nuggets. So we've gotten pizza at Redd Rockett's and chicken nuggets from Club Buzz (this has happened one time in the many times we've been to DL). So I can't say I've never done that. But for a sit down place, they would both have to order from the menu. Oh, and no I wouldn't bring outside food into the park unless they were just finishing something and we'd sit in the picnic area until they're done.

MammaSilva
06-20-2006, 11:30 AM
I think that the nuggets/pizza thing is a lot different because you can get a table outside ...and the kids can eat whatever....we've done that with our groups too. The issue is a sit down full service vs walk up or scramble service...apples and oranges in my opinion.

Mommy2NicknMax
06-20-2006, 11:54 AM
I think that the nuggets/pizza thing is a lot different because you can get a table outside ...and the kids can eat whatever....we've done that with our groups too. The issue is a sit down full service vs walk up or scramble service...apples and oranges in my opinion.
Sorry, I missed the last part of the OP that said non-table service wasn't an issue.

CariBelle
06-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Tacky. tacky. tacky. I was a super picky eater as a kid but my parents would have never even considered bringing in outside food to a sit down type restaurant just to please me. My choice was to either find something on the menu I would eat (even if it was ordering a dinner salad and asking for extra bread) , or wait until the next meal.

disneynut
06-20-2006, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't bring outside food into a sit down restaurant. My 6 y/o child is the queen of picky eaters. She won't eat pasta or fried foods which pretty much is what the kids menus consist of in DL. I've ordered off of the adult menu before for her because they have more stuff she'd be willing to eat. Sometimes I can talk her brother into sharing a plate off of the adult menu with her.

At most Dl restaurants I've found that they are more than willing to serve her a grilled chicken breast with nothing on it if it is part of a dish they regularly serve on the adult menu. I'm trying to think of what she would eat at BB when we've eaten there before and I can't think of what she's eaten. She may have just watched us eat and if somebody got fruit with their meal she'd eat that.

I just think it's rude to pack food in from somewhere else when it's a table service restaurant. We've found Disney restaurants very accomodating to her tastes and if that doesn't work, she usually finds food on the adult menu.

junglemom
06-20-2006, 12:09 PM
I agree, at a sit down table service restaraunt it is a bit tacky. If you really want the ambiance of the BB, try and do it without your kids. If it is the food you want, get it to go and eat it at walk up area. We grabbed a Monte Cristo to go and Chicken strips for the kids and went ovet to Rancho Del Zocalo and ate there. It is a nice patio and best of all...We bought our drinks there...FREE REFILLS!

rentayenta
06-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Fortunately for me my children are not picky at all and like everything from seafood to veggies to pastas and everything in between. I really am not sure what I would do never having been in that sitaution.

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
06-20-2006, 12:55 PM
I doubt that the CMs would confront you anywhere, but that does not mean it is appropriate to bring in outside food.

I have been to BB probably 10 times in 2 years. I have never seen anyone bring in outside food there (and I am pretty nosy. I'll take a peek at what everyone has at the surrounding tables:D ). I saw a group bring in Churros at CC last night. I don't know why they couldn't wait ten minutes and eat them on Main Street. Well, I can speculate... The kids climbed the lamp posts in the dining area and began to swing around on them. :rolleyes: I sure missed them when they left.

My thought is anywhere that the server does not come to your table, they could care less. So, any buffeteria, outside dining area, bench, etc.

For lunch, we ate cold pizza on a bench in the shade. Life is good. :cool:

junglemom
06-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Fortunately for me my children are not picky at all and like everything from seafood to veggies to pastas and everything in between. I really am not sure what I would do never having been in that sitaution.
Good Job mamma...I must have done a bad job introducing my kids to a variety of foods. I only have one non-picky eater.

rentayenta
06-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Good Job mamma...I must have done a bad job introducing my kids to a variety of foods. I only have one non-picky eater.

I am sure you did an awesome job Aimee. It has actually come back to haunt me. When it's their turn to choose where to go out for dinner, it's never at McDonald's or pizza. It's always surf and turf.

06-20-2006, 01:06 PM
This is so out there that I'm wondering if the kids' pickiness is really the issue. Could it be that the parents don't want to pay Blue Bayou children's menu prices for the items their children eat?

junglemom
06-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Ahhh thanks Jenny, but really I think it's because DH and I are fairly picky ourselves. Poor kids never get seafood! It is nice though that they will pick cheap-oh places like Taco Bell if we are eating out.

adriennek
06-20-2006, 01:08 PM
I agree with Alex.

Kids need to learn to cope, even if they're finicky eaters - ESPECIALLY if they're finicky eaters! If the kids can't cope, we don't eat there. Disney usually has pretty basic food on the kids' menus. Like others have said, you can adapt other menu items for kids if you need to.

My kids have been raised to be 'good' restaurant eaters. That doesn't mean that they're always easy! But they know, if mom and dad have picked this place, this is where we're eating.

I was a little hesitant about the Blue Bayou, not because of the menu but because they do get a little uncomfortable in more formal restaurants. But they had kids cups and kids menus. I carry crayons in my purse in case we're at a restaurant that doesn't have them. The crayons I had, the kids menu and atmosphere kept them very happy.

Adrienne

adriennek
06-20-2006, 01:10 PM
This is so out there that I'm wondering if the kids' pickiness is really the issue. Could it be that the parents don't want to pay Blue Bayou children's menu prices for the items their children eat?

Good point, Helen. Worth repeating ;)

Adrienne

junglemom
06-20-2006, 01:16 PM
That was a big part of us getting food to go. Infact we just split the Monte Cristo. It was also like Adrienne said, BB seemed a little more upscale than I wanted to deal with with my kids. They are well behaved in a restaurant, but on top of the price it wasn't worth the hassle.

nursemelis374
06-20-2006, 01:33 PM
I was a waitress for 4 years and we would not allow outside food into our restaurant. It was a corporate policy. It had something to do with sanitation issues and safety. I know that sounds crazy, but it always worked when we told it to people.

UsBurchs
06-20-2006, 01:49 PM
I dont' think I would bring outside food for even my toddler. They only thing I bring for him is his sippy cup, because he tends to spill, even with the cute cups they give them, and some fish crackers for the wait. He LOVED getting the kids meals at Disneyland. The Mickey plate was a hit and the fun straws that usually come with the drinks were cool too. He ate things at Disneyland he usually never eats at home. Part of the magic of Disney! Now I'm stuck cutting all his sandwiches into Mickey heads! But if it gets him to eat them, I'll do it!

Knowing how restless he gets, we didn't eat at many sit-down type places. He was good, but he wanted to go see more interesting stuff outside. He kept grabbing my father-in-law's hand and saying "Go outside, go outside. See Mickey!"

CariBelle
06-20-2006, 01:53 PM
He kept grabbing my father-in-law's hand and saying "Go outside, go outside. See Mickey!"

That is so adorable!

and I love your avatar nursemelis! Nachooooooooo!

cstephens
06-20-2006, 02:08 PM
The price of the kid's meal didn't seem to be an issue. Apparently, on a prior visit, the kids had gotten food that wasn't very good in quality, which I didn't mention because I don't think that's necessarily relevant. Unacceptable food is unacceptable and should be brought to the attention of the server, whether it's filet mignon or a pb&j sandwich. The kids apparently don't like the standard kids' menu items and didn't like some of the sides (e.g., Blue Bayou apparently doesn't have french fries so they have mashed potatoes as a side, and one of the kids doesn't like mashed potatoes). The impetus for the possible visit seems to be another family member who may be going who has never been to Blue Bayou before and will likely never have the opportunity to go again.

As someone who will never have to deal with this issue, I can see both sides of the issue. On the one hand, something unobtrusive might not draw much attention, but if anything required more work on the part of the server, I'd probably tip more. On the other hand, unless it's a dietary concern, I do think it's a bit weird to be carrying your own food (as opposed to snacks) around to a sit-down restaurant, even one inside Disneyland.