PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Resort cuts back its operating hours starting July 9th

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
06-18-2006, 10:17 PM
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/monthly/monthly?date=20060701&name=CalendarMonthlyPage

Originally, the Disneyland Resort had posted the park hours for Disneyland as closing at Midnight every night thru mid-August, it now is closing at 11 PM Sunday thru Thursday.

DCA was scheduled to stay open until 10 PM nightly, it is now closing at 9 PM Sunday thru Thursday.

silly'olbear
06-19-2006, 10:13 AM
I noticed this and wondered why they would do this. Isn't this summer expected to be pretty busy? I'm going to be there the 3rd week in August and was very dissapointed they changed the hours.

DwoernAdale
06-19-2006, 12:34 PM
This is just irritating. It happened last year as well with DCA hours. Here is the letter I just sent to Disney.

Hello

Myself and my family have booked a trip to the resort from July 18th through July 27th through AAA. We have been coming to the parks once a year for the last 6 years or so.

I was very VERY disappointed to check your website today and see that park hours had been cut from what was originaly advertised for the duration of our trip. Disneyland Park is now closing at 11pm during the week? In the middle of the summer season? Why would a decision like this be made?

The hour between 11pm and 12am is literaly one of the best hours in a day for us. All the locals seem to head home by then making some of the longer wait times much more manageable for those of us coming from far afield. Our innability to make use of that hour will put a severe damper on the magic we have come to expect from a trip to Disneyland.

Part of the reason we brave the crowds in summer are the extended operating hours, and now that is being whitled away at. I can only conjecture that this is some sort of cost saving measure. If so SHAME on you!

This same scenario happened last summer as well. Your website had posted hours for DCA to close at 10pm, and several weeks before our trip they were changed to 9pm. I see that has been done this year as well. This is particularily disappointing as DCA is beautiful at night.

All told, for our 8 day park hopper this takes 12 hours that were previously available in the parks from our trip. It makes me feel cheated.

I see your new marketing approach is to 'make dreams come true'. How about you start that early and rethink this poor decision? That way those of us who save year round for a trip to your property will at LEAST get the experience we have become accustomed to and expect.

Am I overeacting here? I sure dont feel like I am.

HorizonsA
06-19-2006, 01:21 PM
^Yes. It's just ONE hour, folks. It's not like they're taking 3-4 hours off. I don't think one hour will kill you.

Rascalsfungirl
06-19-2006, 01:37 PM

I don't think you are overreacting, and I like your letter. If you are planning your trip based on the hours presented by Disney and they change them, I would be upset too- considering the amount of money we all pay to go. I have been to Disneyland during the busy summer hours and the last hour is one of the least congested of all, especially if you are more of a night owl rather than an early riser.

silly'olbear
06-19-2006, 01:39 PM
^Yes. It's just ONE hour, folks. It's not like they're taking 3-4 hours off. I don't think one hour will kill you.

Yes, you're right. I don't believe it will kill me but I can still be dissapointed. Or maybe not?

Darkbeer
06-19-2006, 01:42 PM
^While one hour won't kill you, isn't this kinda like paying full price for a Churro and find out that a bite has already been taken. (And using a sterile knife, basically cutting off about 6% of the Churro).

Disney advertised the Midnight closures for the last couple of months, and folks bought tickets based on that schedule, so I understand why some folks would be upset.

Alas, Disney has its fine print giving them an out...

Applicable theme park, days and times of operation and all other elements including, but not limited to, operation of attractions, entertainment, stores and restaurants and appearances of characters may vary and are subject to change without notice. Subject to capacity and other restrictions. Tickets may not be sold or transferred for commercial use. Offer may not be combined with any other ticket offer, discount, or promotion. All offers, events, tickets, age ranges, services, attractions and entertainment may be seasonal and are subject to change without notice.

Ulysses
06-19-2006, 01:44 PM
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/monthly/monthly?date=20060701&name=CalendarMonthlyPage

Originally, the Disneyland Resort had posted the park hours for Disneyland as closing at Midnight every night thru mid-August, it now is closing at 11 PM Sunday thru Thursday.

DCA was scheduled to stay open until 10 PM nightly, it is now closing at 9 PM Sunday thru Thursday.

It happens all the time -- if attendance is high on a given day, they'll start announcing that the park will stay open later. Plus show an extra Fantasmic.

olegc
06-19-2006, 02:18 PM
maybe it's a way to reduce the required number of CMs even MORE... NO O.T. FOR YOU!

although that last hour usually is when you can get in a few extra times through some rides as well as buy that last item you were looking for...

Shadowcat
06-19-2006, 03:12 PM
I am a bit shocked. From what I can remember, summers always meant a midnight closing. Since I was really little I remember this for the times in the summer my family went. My fondest memories have been hitting the rides after dark when most of the crowds had gone.

Have they ever closed it earlier than midnight during the summer? Is this a first?

DwoernAdale
06-19-2006, 03:43 PM
And to add insult to injury, right above the calendar they have printed(in red lettering no less) "Take advantage of longer Park hours that let you enjoy all the magical attractions, shows and events during our 50th Anniversary Celebration!"

Nice.

Opus1guy
06-19-2006, 04:04 PM
I am a bit shocked. From what I can remember, summers always meant a midnight closing. Since I was really little I remember this for the times in the summer my family went.

You must be younger than me. ;)

Because from what I can remember ;) summers always meant a 1:00am closing with Main Street shops open until 2:00am! Seven days a week! As an example, see:

http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uploads/dlcalendars71b.jpg

Wasn't until after Eisner that they trimmed back to midnight.

Hope Disney doesn't get a new CEO anytime soon. Each time we get a new guy...they seem to cut the hours! ;)

disneynut
06-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Because from what I can remember ;) summers always meant a 1:00am closing with Main Street shops open until 2:00am! Seven days a week!

Those are the days I remember too! My husband thinks I'm nuts but I can remember getting back to the hotel around 1:30 after a 1:00 a.m. closing. My parents always wanted to be at the park at opening too. I don't know how they did it. Looking back, I don't remember being exhausted but I do remember the thrill of being on Main St. that late and it being virtually empty. It was a wonderful feeling. It seems there's a lot of people that stay until midnight these days but 1 a.m.....That was for the die-hards.;)

ILovePoker
06-19-2006, 05:18 PM
I am a bit shocked. From what I can remember, summers always meant a midnight closing.

Have they ever closed it earlier than midnight during the summer? Is this a first?

Yes, I believe I was browsing through Darkbeer's pictures and I found a picture of the wait board listing the closing time at 11pm, I believe this was 2004.

crazi4dlr
06-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Because from what I can remember ;) summers always meant a 1:00am closing with Main Street shops open until 2:00am! Seven days a week!

this is what I remember too. When I was little my parents would take me and my sister back to the motel and my older sibs would stay at the park. I couldn't wait to grow up so I could stay late, then as a teen we stayed until closing and I felt so grown up.

It seems to me that people are getting cheated because the second showing of Fantasmic is at 10:30 so the crowds really don't clear out until after 11 and that leaves the die hards (not me so much anymore unfortunately :eek: ) to ride the rides and enjoy some congestion free time. I'm sorry about that.

By the way, Dwoern, your letter was well written and I'm glad you sent it.

Leap for Joy
06-19-2006, 06:51 PM

A bit off topic, but I can't help myself... Have you compared the cost of an 8 day hopper to an annual pass? If you upgrade your hoppers to APs on the last day of your trip, you wont have block out days (this year anyway) AND you'll already have tickets for next year's trip.

DwoernAdale
06-19-2006, 07:11 PM
If you upgrade your hoppers to APs on the last day of your trip, you wont have block out days (this year anyway) AND you'll already have tickets for next year's trip.

We have been thinking of doing that. The reason we didnt just buy AP's was enhanced fastpass. We have gotten too used to this little feature. On the bright side we have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel now(this will be our 2nd time) which we might never have done if they hadnt made it the only way to get them. So that portion of their business plan is working out for all concerned :D

PapiBear
06-19-2006, 07:23 PM

Because from what I can remember ;) summers always meant a 1:00am closing with Main Street shops open until 2:00am! Seven days a week! As an example, see:

Longer hours, lower cost, and they still managed to profit year after year.

That was definitely back when Disneyland was cool. I remember the 1 am closings also. Looked SO forward to it.

The old man
06-20-2006, 10:08 AM

Wasn't until after Eisner that they trimmed back to midnight.

Hope Disney doesn't get a new CEO anytime soon. Each time we get a new guy...they seem to cut the hours! ;)
Don't like those schedules at all. Some days closed. Some weekends only open to 6 or 7pm.

Disney Vault
06-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Al's new article at miceage explains the reasoning behind the changed schedule.

Opus1guy
06-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Don't like those schedules at all. Some days closed. Some weekends only open to 6pm.

Those are different issues. We're discussing Summer Hours.

But since I'm the biggest violator of derailing threads into other subjects...I'll forgive you. In fact...I'll do more than forgive you. I'll jump right into the pool along with you. :)

Yeah...Eisner brought in the year-round 7 day-a-week operating schedule. So he gets a pat on the back from most Guests for that (though some Disneyland Facility people would have liked to have found a tree and a rope...but that's another subject still).

But the closing time of the Park was largely driven by attendance, using a formula and philosophy that on really crowded days it was necessary to extend hours (even if the park was uncrowded during some of those hours) in order to give everyone a chance at getting on "X" amount of attractions, and also to spread the total populace out a little thinner over the entire day's operational hours.

If a Guest went home with too many leftover tickets from his Jumbo 15 ticket book because the crowds and lines were too big...that was not a good thing. Those ticket books were very tangible "measuring rods" and reminders of if you thought you got your money's worth out of your visit in those days. One of many reasons they weren't sad to see them go bye-bye.

Back in 1971 (and "those days"), the Park was closed Mondays and Tuesdays in the off-season, and yet even with that, there were weekdays where total attendance was only 7,000 Guests! We used to often joke that the Cast Members outnumbered the Guests! Yet it was still very profitable. :)

Even weekends during the off-season were very light...hence the shorter weekend operating hours. They also used to do more special themed events in the Park, often with big-name entertainment...in order to get more locals to come and at least purchase a General Admission ticket for the entertainment.

As the general population, disposable income, and Marketing effectiveness has grown, so has demand on Disneyland. And that's why they extended hours on off-season weekends like they do now.

But today...Disneyland is practically bulging at the seams, even on many off-season weekdays. And it seems like the old philosophies have fallen for the sake of more profit, as Disneyland tries to squeeze more Guests into less hours of operation and fewer attractions. If the bigger crowds and longer lines don't effect Guest Satisfaction surveys and/or attendance in a negative way...it'll stick. If it does negatively effect them...they'll just add the hour back in.

Unfortunately for us Guests...the year-round goal today is likely, "Squeeze 'em in, find the breaking point, and adjust the hours to just short of that, so to maximize profit." Rather than extending hours to give a better Guest experience at perhaps less (but still acceptable) profit. IMHO.

Monte Cristo
06-20-2006, 10:49 AM
I can't believe all the consternation over one hour at the end of the evening.

Opus1guy
06-20-2006, 11:16 AM
I can't believe all the consternation over one hour at the end of the evening.

Then you obviously don't care much about it yourself. Other people do. Nothing wrong with either. :)

But less is less. There is no "only" when it's less than before. It's a devaluing of the product. Granted there are degrees. But that doesn't change what it is: Becoming Less Than It Was Before.

For some, it's "The principle of the thing." For others, "No big deal...I always leave after fireworks anyway." And still for others it's, "Christ...that last hour was when we had the most fun, the most magic, and got on the most rides!"

And for some, they worry, "1am down to midnight. Then midnight to 11pm. What next?"

It's just an hour. But if it was an hour you were counting on...it's your hour they took away. Nothing illegal going on. But for some it's like having that six-course menu knocked down to five. With dessert the casualty.

Hense the "consternation" and venting over some of this.

:)

CamCay
06-20-2006, 04:07 PM
July 9th will be our first day in the park, we really enjoy the midnight closing cause it gives us a great afternoon break. So yes, when you have purchased tickets and made your plan it is disappointing to hear it's changed and yes, it's okay to be disappointed. Don't let anyone tell you "get over it." I am disappointed with you. Now whether or not i write a letter, i am not sure yet. But more power to you!

CamCay
06-20-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm sorry, not disappointed with you, disappointed along with you!