PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Revamped Pirates Ride: Plunder or Blunder? - LA Times, 6/19/06

Darkbeer
06-18-2006, 08:18 PM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ack=crosspromo

QuikQuote: Internet message boards have been in mutiny for months, with fans debating whether Disney is taking corporate synergy and marketing too far — and that's saying a lot for a company that capitalizes on just about every character tie-in imaginable.
"If it ain't broke, why fix it?" grumbled fan Candy Richter, 39, who grew up riding Pirates of the Caribbean. "I think it's really lamentable when society feels that they need to go back and adjust their pop culture icons to fit whatever new spawns out.... I don't think people are going in Haunted Mansion and wondering where the Eddie Murphy character is."

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
06-18-2006, 09:47 PM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ack=crosspromo
I don't think people are going in Haunted Mansion and wondering where the Eddie Murphy character is."

Link isn't working for me.

Anyway, I beg to differ (don't I always?) The first time my DD went on the Haunted Mansion attraction, she asked the CM, "Is Eddie Murphy inside?" She was 3 years old. :D That cracked us up.

Darkbeer
06-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Try this link...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-fi-pirates19jun19,1,4337218.story?coll=la-headlines-entnews&track=crosspromo

ktrm
06-18-2006, 11:08 PM
I was glad to read that they replaced 270 speakers in the ride. When I went to Disneyland in March for the first time in twenty years with my mom, I couldn't hear the sounds correctly such as the skull saying "Dead Man tell no Tales" It wasn't very loud or very clear. All the sound was off to me and the ride didn't seem as scary as I remember. I thought old age deafness was hitting me :p but maybe not. I am looking forward to hearing the new sound system in July

olegc
06-19-2006, 07:41 AM
wow. An article appears in the paper and a certain L.A. based critic and blogger is NOT quoted. amazing...

ktrm
06-19-2006, 09:28 AM
When I went to Disneyland in March for the first time in twenty years with my mom,

Correction...I rode Pirates on my November Trip, not my March trip. It was closed then.

Barbossa
06-19-2006, 10:01 AM
IMO, I think altering the original POTC ride in any way is pure blasphemy. :|

cstephens
06-19-2006, 11:06 AM
IMO, I think altering the original POTC ride in any way is pure blasphemy. :|

So since it's already been altered, you probably don't care about these additional changes?

I like POTC, but in the end, it's a ride.

Barbossa
06-19-2006, 11:42 AM
So since it's already been altered, you probably don't care about these additional changes?

No, it's just blasphemy reprised.

Alex S.
06-19-2006, 12:47 PM
wow. An article appears in the paper and a certain L.A. based critic and blogger is NOT quoted. amazing...

Heh. But with it involving Pirates, TellNoTales.com is the obvious place to go.

However, David Koenig and I were both briefl interviewed by Mike Landa at KNX1070 in Los Angeles for a piece following up on the LA Times story so there is a chance (though no guarantee) that you can hear our manly, oh-so-sexy voices on the radio today.

DianeM
06-19-2006, 01:42 PM
I was listening to the anniversary collection version of the POTC music yesterday, and it sounded totally different from what I am used to in the ride. There were entire sections of music wher I normally hear only vague noises on the ride. I dont' know if they have changed the music or if it's just bad speakers. I guess I'll find out in October.

I was glad to read that they replaced 270 speakers in the ride. When I went to Disneyland in March for the first time in twenty years with my mom, I couldn't hear the sounds correctly such as the skull saying "Dead Man tell no Tales" It wasn't very loud or very clear. All the sound was off to me and the ride didn't seem as scary as I remember. I thought old age deafness was hitting me :p but maybe not. I am looking forward to hearing the new sound system in July

olegc
06-19-2006, 02:16 PM
I was listening to the anniversary collection version of the POTC music yesterday, and it sounded totally different from what I am used to in the ride. There were entire sections of music wher I normally hear only vague noises on the ride. I dont' know if they have changed the music or if it's just bad speakers. I guess I'll find out in October.

was that the 30th anniversary CD or that new one they have been selling. Either one (as well as the 6cd 50th set) will have the ride audio right there - which on the attraction may not be heard very often due to any number of things (the giggling in the "drinking skeletons" quarters always gets me).. On the CD everything is audable so it might sound different...

Doug
06-19-2006, 03:15 PM
2 questions:

1) POTC is officially opening Monday (DLR callendar confirms), any chance they will be doing a soft opening for those of us going friday :)? (anyone else going friday?)

2) Can you get that audio CD set in DLR? If so, where, and how much?

Thanks!

Doug

Darkbeer
06-19-2006, 03:28 PM
2 questions:

1) POTC is officially opening Monday (DLR callendar confirms), any chance they will be doing a soft opening for those of us going friday :)? (anyone else going friday?)

Thanks!

Doug

NO CHANCE for a soft opening on Friday.

I have heard some rumors of a soft opening on Sunday, but with all the traffic control issues they are having with the bleachers, I seriously doubt it will happen.

Monday June 26th will be the date. Enough of the Bleacher set-up will have been removed to allow the set-up of an extended queue, since Disney expects large crowds for the return of the ride.

Doug
06-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Oh come on David! Lie to me :)! As the song says "come on and lie to me... do it with sincerity ... make me think there's some truth in it.." :)

olegc
06-19-2006, 10:13 PM
2 questions:

Thanks!

Doug

as far as the cd set. if you;re looking for the 6 CD set - it should be in 20th century music on Main street - or maybe Disneyana. 30th pirate CD (or is it 33rd) - same. Brand new CD - anywhere they have pirate merchandise - as well as 20th century, emporium, etc.

also - WOD should have everything...

SHOMan
06-19-2006, 11:05 PM
I would have to agree with DarkBeer, the traffic issues would preclude opening the ride on before late Sunday at the earliest unless they have Star Trek technology to beam out the bleachers.

The crowd traffic was HORRIBLE today, and we are days away. It can only get worse. The rest of the week will NOT be fun over in NOS.

averagedork
06-20-2006, 06:04 AM
I always thought that with the 50th they were going to have the whole park/all the ride open no matter what. Closing Pirates was closing that promise.

Alex S.
06-20-2006, 08:38 AM
They never promised any such thing. When the 50th began they had every ride going, but it is unreasonable to think that could be maintained for 18 months.

If nothing else, attractions have regular maintenance schedules that frequently require downtime.

If it was a broken promise then it was a promise tha that had been broken several times already by the time Pirates closed (Haunted Mansion had closed twice before then as had it's a small world).

Frogberto
06-20-2006, 02:34 PM
I always thought that with the 50th they were going to have the whole park/all the ride open no matter what. Closing Pirates was closing that promise.

Says who? When I got my pass in April, they had closed the Haunted Mansion, and then Pirates has been closed (I haven't been on pirates since 2001), as well as several other attractions. Everything needs maintenance once in a while.

averagedork
06-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Says who? When I got my pass in April, they had closed the Haunted Mansion, and then Pirates has been closed (I haven't been on pirates since 2001), as well as several other attractions. Everything needs maintenance once in a while.

I swore I saw it somewhere.