PDA

View Full Version : Mickey & Friends Structure: help before I go crazy

Tinkermommy
06-17-2006, 10:06 AM
I've recently read here about people having difficult experiences going in and out of the Mickey & Friends structure. Yesterday we stopped in on the way home from San Diego and experienced just about everything people have been writing about. ARGH!

Going in, around 5 p.m., I was behind another car and got all the way up to the booth before I discovered, when the car in front of me moved out of the lane, that the booth in my lane was closed. There was nothing to let us know that until we'd passed a line of cars waiting in the lane next to us (and I was in the lane in which I started at the parks/hotel split) except for a yellow bar at the front of the booth, and two cones about five feet in front of that. Of course, the people (and bus) waiting assumed I'd gone around them intentionally, and didn't want to let me in. (Who could blame them?) When I finally got in and had my turn, I asked the guy why they don't warn cars earlier, and he said (referring to the closed booth), "He's just on a break. He'll be right back." Sigh.

We parked on Donald, and when we left around 10:30, we were once again forced to take the lanes that go to the 5 freeway. I normally do the "merge of death," turn right on Ball Road and take that to the 57 freeway for my 1.5 hour drive home. (Contrary to what Disneyland parking planners apparently believe, not everybody who parks on Donald lives near the 5 freeway.) Since the exit lanes were all separated with cones and there was an Anaheim police officer enforcing the divisions, we were stuck. The only alternative would have been to cut across INSIDE the parking structure, which wasn't safe at that time of night.

So, now that I've vented (ARGH!), can anybody tell me an easier way to go home when I get forced into those stinking 5 lanes? So far when it's happened, I've driven over the freeway and turned right on some street that has a signal and is dark and scary (always a delight when it's just my little girl and I), taken that to Harbor Blvd. and eventually turned left on Ball Road. Because the blocks are long, it seems to take me WAY out of the way. What I need is a route that doesn't make be backtrack all that way to Ball, and that has a late-night drive-through where I can get a caffeinated soda for the ride. (Ball Rd. has Burger King, open until 11, and McDonalds, open even later.)

Any help from locals would be VERY much appreciated!:(

potzbie
06-17-2006, 11:07 AM
One possibility is that they deliberately were keeping 100% of the traffic off the part of the street where the two traffic accidents occured.

Yesterday, one accident was still being processed when another traiffic accident occurred (cop on motorcycle hit by SUV while cop was making U-turn to return to the first accident).

I don't think your experience would have occurred the day before or the day after.

It was on all the (local) news channels (radio and television).

blewellen
06-17-2006, 03:44 PM
You don't have to take the 5 freeway when you are forced that way. I actually prefer to take this way instead of making the merge of death to Ball Rd. I too, take the 57 freeway home. When you take the lanes to the 5 freeway just stay to the left towards Manchester Rd. and make a Right at the next street, then right on Harbor and a Left on Ball Rd. or take Manchester Rd. down to Lincoln and take Lincoln to the 57 freeway (only downfall to Lincoln, the crazy lights!).

Alex S.
06-18-2006, 08:04 AM
FYI, here is a visual of the first route described by blewellen (I was confused because there are two Manchesters in the area and I couldn't envision how you'd end up on the other one.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=245407

Here is the second one described using Lincoln to get to 57.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=245412

You could also just take I-5 north one exit and get off at Lincoln to cut over to the 57 or, especially at that time of night with no traffic staying on freeways and driving farther will probably be faster than using surface streets, take I-5 north a couple miles to Brookhurst and then get on the 91 east:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=245427

tod
06-18-2006, 09:13 AM
So, now that I've vented (ARGH!), can anybody tell me an easier way to go home when I get forced into those stinking 5 lanes? So far when it's happened, I've driven over the freeway and turned right on some street that has a signal and is dark and scary (always a delight when it's just my little girl and I), taken that to Harbor Blvd. and eventually turned left on Ball Road. Because the blocks are long, it seems to take me WAY out of the way. What I need is a route that doesn't make be backtrack all that way to Ball, and that has a late-night drive-through where I can get a caffeinated soda for the ride. (Ball Rd. has Burger King, open until 11, and McDonalds, open even later.)

Any help from locals would be VERY much appreciated!:(

Don't panic. The onramp to the 5 isn't a commitment. Take the 5 north to Disney Way, get off, make a left. If you continue down Manchester (follow the signs) there is a 24-hour Del Taco with a 24-hour drive-through on your right. When you leave the Del Taco, you can go back onto Manchester and make a left onto Katella or double back to Ball for that eastward trek to the 57.

A litlle backtracking, maybe. Not a lot.

--t

darph nader
06-18-2006, 09:56 AM
This is why we stay across the street,and park @ the hotel.:eek:

Tinkermommy
06-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Wow, that is a very kewl map-thingy (Gmaps). Now I can see why it seems so far out of the way -- Ball Road is straight east, while everything else takes you west before you head back east. Late at night, every extra mile seems like a bazillion when you're headed in the wrong direction. (I live in the High Desert, north-east of Disneyland, which is why I take the 57.)

Thanks for the help, everyone -- guess I'll just have to suck it up, or hope they put us in Cast Member parking. Now THAT was an easy exit to Ball Road!

Alex S.
06-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Depending on what time you get there you can also try parking in the Timon lot. They may just shove you through into the garage but if not the path to 57 will be easier.

APs aren't supposed to park there but apparently enforcement of that is a mixed bag.

potterphreak
06-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Alex, APs aren't allowed to park where? LOL I have an AP and we have parked in the Mickey and Friends structure several times and even more than that, the Timon lot. Was I supposed to tell the guy waving me on that I was an AP? I am completely shocked, LOL

PS-Not being a smart alec or doubting you (especially not YOU!!!), I have just never heard of this and it really tickles my funny bone to think I have been doing something wrong since November. LOL Please advise!!
PPS-Where are we APs supposed to park? Is it some really cool top secret closer to the park than the other structures place? Now THAT would be worth the AP price right there!!! :fez:

ThomasCanty
06-19-2006, 03:23 AM
APs aren't supposed to park there but apparently enforcement of that is a mixed bag.

APs park wherever the cast members direct them to. I've noticed lately that if I get there before the parks open, I'm pointed toward the Timon lot. Especially if I go to the single entrance booth outside the structure.

Mermaid
06-19-2006, 05:36 AM
I think AP's are "supposed" to park in Mickey and Friends. I have parked in Lion King a few times though. It seems like if I get there before opening, they move me to M&F but if it is after like 10AM, they let me park there.

ThomasCanty
06-19-2006, 06:19 AM
I've noticed lately that if I get there before the parks open, I'm pointed toward the Timon lot.

Sorry, my mistake. I'm thinking of Pinocchio. I need more coffee.