PDA

View Full Version : Mandara Spa Anyone Been There?

momuvseven
06-17-2006, 06:45 AM
Is the spa available to quests staying at other properties?

The prices are much higher than other spas I've been too, how was your treatment?

Do they provide everything you need and areas to stay before and after treatment? I have only been to spas in Vegas and not sure how this compares.

Thanks for any information.

Bolivar
06-17-2006, 08:03 AM
I have only been to spas in the Napa Valley and those Mandara prices, while on the high end are not that higher. I have a coworker whose girlfriend is a masseuse and we were just talking about this the other day. She works mainly at the Ritz Carlton and also does freelance work. He was saying how insanely expensive it is at the Ritz (and that she only gets about 15% of that), and that if you saw her elsewhere you would be getting the exact same massage, for a fraction of the cost. There are, of course, a few things about this: first, one of the things the Ritz is doing is quality control so yes if you found her elsewhere you would save a bundle, but you might find a bad one instead; second, you are paying for the atmosphere – same with Mandara

I'll bet they see off property guests, give them a call.

gchcm
06-17-2006, 09:48 AM
I've had two treatments at Mandara. They have areas for you to relax before/after your treatment (sauna, steam room), a locker area, and a shower area. The spa is open to anyone: Resort Hotel Guests, area hotel guests, local residents, etc. You get 5 hours of complimentary valet parking when you are coming in for Mandara.

FunMom
06-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Does your friend have a recommendation of where in OC we can go for a great massage at a more affordable price?

My friend will turn 50 while travelling with us, and wanted to have a girl's spa day - leaving the kids with the husbands. She's a single mom who wants to keep costs down but still treat herself.

Thanks!

momuvseven
06-18-2006, 05:55 AM
Take a look at Burke Williams http://www.burkewilliamsspa.com/

I found this yesterday and it is at the Block at Orange. I haven't been there but it is supposed to be a big shopping mall.

Here is another place that seems to offer treatments but not the spa atmosphere, seems super cheap http://www.thebodycentre.com/anaheim.htm

evrythngwmn
06-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Take a look at Burke Williams http://www.burkewilliamsspa.com/

I found this yesterday and it is at the Block at Orange. I haven't been there but it is supposed to be a big shopping mall.

Here is another place that seems to offer treatments but not the spa atmosphere, seems super cheap http://www.thebodycentre.com/anaheim.htm

I have been to both and love both of them. If I'm stressed and just needing a massage I usually go with the Bodycentre because they aren't expensive. When I'm wanting total pampering or a spa day with the girls I go with Burke Williams.

TP2000
06-18-2006, 02:35 PM
BurkeWilliams at The Block is fantastic! They are very nice, super gracious, and perfect hospitality providers. Plus, they have a gorgeous facility with everything you could want in a day spa. The mens spa is one of the largest and plushest I've seen ever, only being edged out by the spa at The Montage Hotel down in Laguna Beach. BurkeWilliams is AWESOME!

On the other hand, there is this new Mandara Spa. I stopped in there a week ago to check it out. I had just come from work, was dressed nicely, and know how to act in an expensive hotel. I walked in to the very small Mandara lobby and found three young ladies behind the desk all chatting with each other. As I approached I got a quick glance from all three of them, and a very tight smile from what appeared to be the head girl. I was sort of stunned by the non-welcome, and began looking around the lobby for a moment.

There was a dog-eared spa menu sitting on the little counter and I bravely asked "Excuse me, is this the menu of services?". The girls looked up from their conversation about paperwork and where to put the pencils, and just said "yes" with another very tight smile offered as their attempt at courtesy. I was offered no information, the girls didn't look at me again, and seemed happy as clams to pretend I wasn't there. I certainly was not offered a tour of the facilities, as any halfway decent spa would have done. (BurkeWilliams will gladly give you a 10 minute tour of everything!)

What is worse, the price list in this old, wrinkled menu of services was exorbitantly high! 150+ dollars for a basic 50 minute facial, 180+ dollars for massage services that last 50 minutes, etc. That's up in the league of The Montage, but The Montage has service down pat and would bend over backward for a potential new client peeking their head into their brand new facility.

I would be okay with the prices if they were offering superior service, but from the reception I got from the three Mandara employees staffing the lobby last week, they just lost any chance they had at getting my business. I suppose they feel they have a captive audience at the GCH, people who will schedule services during their 3 day stay and probably not come back. But someone needs to get those Mandara employees up to speed very quickly, or this little day spa will never get off the ground.

What makes me laugh is that they officially changed the name of the hotel to Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa. Unfortunately, the Mandara employees don't deserve to be getting that headliner credit on the sign out in front of the hotel.

Jwebbal
06-18-2006, 06:42 PM
If you want to go to a spa for the day, a GREAT place to go is Glen Ivy. It's not actually in OC, but a short trip away in Corona. It is a very large day spa with all sorts of facilities. check it out www.glenivy.com

Bolivar
06-18-2006, 07:57 PM
I didn't look at the rest of the menu, but this lists a 50 minute massage at $120:

http://www.mandaraspa.com/files/ms/GCSPAPRICELIST.pdf

momuvseven
06-19-2006, 06:12 AM
Thanks for all the great info!!!! We love DLR but at the same time DH wants to go to San Diego and I want to go to the spa and the kids want to see a ball game. Hard to squeeze it all in and keep the price down too.

I have been to Mandera Spa at the Paris in Las Vegas. It is very nice there but a bit snobbish and high priced. I do not want to go to a small wannabe spa. I want the whole experience and I want to feel pampered. I went to the spa at the Flamingo in Las Vegas last week and the attendant couldn't do enough for me.

I am leaning towards Burke Williams because it sounds so nice and I have always wanted to find the Block at Orange anyways. Glen Ivy looks really nice too and tons of services offered.