PDA

View Full Version : Mark Twain Wheel House

Shary Bobbins
04-26-2002, 11:39 PM
I've heard that you can get into the wheel house of the Mark Twain and pilot the Mark Twain. Can you still do this and who do you ask to get up there? Thanks

Uncle Dick
04-27-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Shary Bobbins
I've heard that you can get into the wheel house of the Mark Twain and pilot the Mark Twain. Can you still do this and who do you ask to get up there? Thanks
From what I've seen, it's still possible to do so, although I personally haven't tried. Just ask one of the helpful dock attendants. Even if it's no longer allowed, it never hurts to ask! :)

tabacco
04-27-2002, 02:21 AM
I've done it, but I was with a friend who's got a friend on the Twain :)

Got to blow the steam whistle and everything :)

lisap
04-27-2002, 07:20 AM
We (two adults and two kids) went up to the wheelhouse a few weeks ago for the first time--it was really fun. Very special for the kids!

For us it was pretty simple--we walked up to the second floor and peered up at the wheelhouse as the captain was looking out . We pointed at the kids and said "can they come up?" the captain said "no way!!" and teased the girls for a while, then relented and invited all of us up.

He let the girls take turns ringing the bell and blowing the whistle as we left the dock, by the Hungry Bear and as we came around the bend back to disembark. We signed the guest book and he gave the girls little certificates saying that they were now honorary Mark Twain captains.

It was wonderful. I highly recommend it.

Lani
04-27-2002, 08:23 AM
Yup, what lisap said. :)

We, too, went up to the wheel house by simply asking. I think my certificate is around somewhere. I've felt that that's one of those little gems that makes DL truly special.