PDA

View Full Version : Horseless Carriage Club Parade 6/11/06

UsBurchs
06-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi there! Well, many of you know we were in a parade last weekend - which was great. I finally found some photos of the event. We weren't allowed to have cameras backstage, so these are the best I've seen so far. If any of you out there have more from the parade, I'd LOVE to see them!!! None of the photos on this site are of my little family - we walked ahead of my father-in-law's Model T Towncar with a little boy asleep in a wagon!

Here's the link to the club's website with the photos: http://www.hccsc.info/DISNEY05.html

I was visiting another disney forum and people kept asking if this was a one-time-thing or not. It is sort of a regular thing . . . once a year at least! ;) This was the forth year in a row they have done this. Hopefully, we'll do a fifth, and more! It was lots of fun!

Enjoy the photos - and again - if anyone has more, please let me know! I know my family walking wasn't as interesting as the cars, but I'd love a photo!

Opus1guy
06-15-2006, 09:00 PM
I was visiting another disney forum and people kept asking if this was a one-time-thing or not. It is sort of a regular thing . . . once a year at least! ;) This was the forth year in a row they have done this.

It may not have been the same horseless carriage club as yours...but Disneyland has been hosting horseless carriage clubs in parades since the park first opened in 1955. I remember in the 50's as a young kid watching these parades. In the 60's too.

Disneyland used to also do a huge horseless carriage parade every Easter Sunday for many decades in the early years. These were followed by Pancake Races where guests would flip flapjacks as they ran down Main Street. These were really well known annual events locally back in those days. Too bad such fun little traditions seemed to have fallen by the wayside in a lot of cases. Glad to see Disneyland continuing on with this one! It's stuff like this that really makes Main Street a "land" rather than just a themed shopping mall, IMHO. :)

Thanks for the link to the great photos! :)

UsBurchs
06-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I think this was the fourth year for THIS group, at least. And, those photos are actually from last year's parade. I kept looking for my family and wondering why my father-in-law was wearing a tie . . . I didn't remember him wearing a tie this year! LOL Very observant, aren't I? ;)

Osky
06-15-2006, 09:15 PM
It may not have been the same horseless carriage club as yours...but Disneyland has been hosting horseless carriage clubs in parades since the park first opened in 1955. I remember in the 50's as a young kid watching these parades. In the 60's too.

They specifically said at this parade that it was the same club that drove down main street on opening day.

Opus1guy
06-15-2006, 09:57 PM
They specifically said at this parade that it was the same club that drove down main street on opening day.

That's really great! :)

I wish they would have advertised this better in some way...or that I had somehow paid better attention. ;) I was at the Park that day but didn't enter until like around 5:30pm. I definitely would have arrived sooner to see this parade if I had known about it in advance.

UsBurchs
06-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I wish they had advertised it a little better as well! My father-in-law, who was the one getting the information and setting up our family for the parade, didn't even know when and where to show up until a week ahead! He'd been in the parade before, so he knew what to expect, but didn't know any other details. I think a lot more people would have shown up to watch if they'd known about it.

Their club does a lot of other events in the area too . . . always a tour around Pasadena around RoseBowl time. Lots of times they travel down the Rose Parade route the evening/night before to entertain all the people setting up camp!

Osky
06-16-2006, 09:35 AM
I wish they would have advertised this better in some way...or that I had somehow paid better attention. ;) I was at the Park that day but didn't enter until like around 5:30pm. I definitely would have arrived sooner to see this parade if I had known about it in advance.

I had no idea either. I was walking with my son back to the small world area when they told me to get out of the walkway. I will post the pictures I took if anyone wants to see them. I didn't get my camera out until about 1/3 of them had passed. I was busy looking for a place to get out of other people's way.

Alex S.
06-16-2006, 01:49 PM
As a side note, Disney doesn't always advertise things like this and unless some independent cast member mentions it to us, we frequently aren't aware of them until they're happening or even afterwards.

If people are participating in things like this and know about it ahead of time don't hesitate to let us know or assume we already know about. If it seems appropriate I'll also put it in the calendar for the Disneyland Park Update.

UsBurchs
06-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Good to know, Alex. I'll try to remember to give you a heads up next year. Now that I know what's going on, it will be easier to find the information I need to let everyone know about the parade ahead of time.