PDA

View Full Version : Great Deals on NEW Marriott Courtyard Anaheim

disneyfreakspdx
06-14-2006, 09:45 AM
HI!!!
My DH< DD (4) and myself are travelling to DL from Oct 22-Oct 28 and I have been scouting out Hotels, lurking on this board, reading reviews, etc.. WELL! I went to my AAA office yesterday to get more info on their Disney Packages and as I was looking thru the travel guide I saw an ad for a NEW, not yet opened Marriott Courtyard Hotel, well.... We love Marriott Courtyards so I called to get a ressie quote and I secured a AAA rate of $95.95 for all 6 nights!! Grand total of around $ 599.00!!! Awesome! It is on Harbor 2 hotels down from the Portofino... and it will open for business on June 26.
They also offer discounted Park hoppers, shuttle and suites! Comes standard with a fridge,Hi-Fi, etc... They told me that October was considered LOW/ Value Season!
Just thought I would share this with all of you!:)

nursemelis374
06-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Is this within walking distance of the parks?

ETA: I just checked and it is a little more than a mile away from the parks, so I guess not really.

spectromen
06-14-2006, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't really call that a great price for a moderate chain - yes, it's brand new and all, but there are better values. Not trying to discourage you at all, but you'll find plenty of $69-79's out there with the same amenities :)

kiwifuz
06-14-2006, 11:13 PM
I wouldn't really call that a great price for a moderate chain - yes, it's brand new and all, but there are better values. Not trying to discourage you at all, but you'll find plenty of $69-79's out there with the same amenities :)
I agree that the price isn't that great for the "level" of a hotel that a Courtyard is.

But we tend to stay away from Courtyards & Fairfields because we've had bad luck with those levels of Marriott's hotels. They started using these awful foam mattresses so we're even refusing to use Marriott points for free stays at this point unless we're staying at a higher level hotel. I don't enjoy the burrito feeling when I'm trying to sleep. ...i have photos somewhere of my DH laying on a mattress that had started to curl up on the sides, and another of me rolling a mattress up with one hand. But according to Marriott those mattresses are "the industry standard." According to the manager at the Courtyard in Torrance "they were the cheap option," and then we were told they had a few old mattresses that were more comfortable. :)

Opus1guy
06-14-2006, 11:54 PM
But we tend to stay away from Courtyards & Fairfields because we've had bad luck with those levels of Marriott's hotels. They started using these awful foam mattresses

Yep. The Marriott brands have been one of the the slowest to react to the "Battle of the Beds" that was kicked off by Starwood about 7 years ago.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/battle-of-the-beds

But some Marriotts have slowly been improving their beds. At some properties...not all though. According to Courtyard's web site, this new Anaheim property claims to feature:

Luxury bedding - crisp linens, thicker mattresses, custom comforters, fluffier down & feather pillows

I specifically said "claims" because I was recently at a Courtyard near Ontario Airport, and their web site said the exact same thing, yet it was one of the worst mattresses I've ever slept on! :(

Perhaps the new deluxe bedding there is the "awful foam mattress" you refer to. I hope not!

kiwifuz
06-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Yep. The Marriott brands have been one of the the slowest to react to the "Battle of the Beds" that was kicked off by Starwood about 7 years ago.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/battle-of-the-beds

But some Marriotts have slowly been improving their beds. At some properties...not all though. According to Courtyard's web site, this new Anaheim property claims to feature:

I specifically said "claims" because I was recently at a Courtyard near Ontario Airport, and their web site said the exact same thing, yet it was one of the worst mattresses I've ever slept on! :(

Perhaps the new deluxe bedding there is the "awful foam mattress" you refer to. I hope not!
Hmm the thin little awful foam mattresses started appearing.... I'd say early 2002 maybe? I know at that point we stayed at one in Chicago near Midway airport and they still had the "old" mattresses (their words not mine). The manager of the Torrance Courtyard that I spoke with told me that these things were meant to only last about 6 months but they were told to keep them as long as there aren't too many problems. I kid you not. Luckily she knew the location of old mattresses. From what she said each frachisee had a choice of mattresses, the "old" spring mattresses, or the "new" foam ones that were much cheaper. So obviously they went cheap at most places.

I will say that around the same time the actual Marriott Hotels, & the Residence Inn locations all seemed to have these much nicer foam things. They are as thick as a normal mattress, quilted (where the Courtyard version is totally flat/smooth), but still foam, not the bad foam but still foam. At least they are tolerable.

I love the beds Starwood Hotels, & also we stayed at the Allerton Crowne Plaza in Chicago and they had a nice set up. Great bed, very similar to the Starwoods, with I believe it was lavendar scented pillows, a Sony (I think that was the brand) Sleep Machine with a sleep CD in it next to the bed, and a way to totally close the curtains up really tight by clipping them closed so that no light came in. It was so nice! I can't say I've had bad luck with the InterContinental Hotels in general either.

disneyfreakspdx
06-16-2006, 04:19 PM
I know that you will find other moderates for the $69-79 price range, but not brand new. I have stayed at several " moderates" at DL and they are horrible! Outdated, dirty, unsafe, questionable staff, I think you know what I mean...
DL does not offer the level of accomodations that WDW does, so I find that $95 for a New " Moderate " fits me perfect.