PDA

View Full Version : 400 dollars a night for Grand Californian!

Pages : [1] 2

nursemelis374
06-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Are you kidding me! This was for a Thursday in July! I can't believe people can pay this. Granted, it was only 375 on expedia, but still.

hlbtimes2
06-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Are you kidding me! This was for a Thursday in July! I can't believe people can pay this. Granted, it was only 375 on expedia, but still.

And $375 on expedia doesnt include the resort fee. You pay the hotel for that, so your almost back up to the $400. Its crazy. I can get 3 -4 nights at the Candy cane for that- and they feed me breakfast and shuttle me to the park.

zombie pirate
06-13-2006, 02:14 PM
I rather get the best seats at an Angles Game, Or walk in a crowded bar and say drinks on me till the $400 ran out.

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
06-13-2006, 02:22 PM
I rather get the best seats at an Angles Game, Or walk in a crowded bar and say drinks on me till the $400 ran out.

Let me know which bar! :D

I'll have to agree with you all on that price though.

For $400, I'd rent a limo to drive me home at the end of the night.

Frogberto
06-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Well, it's supply and demand, isn't it? You're talking about peak season, and there are plenty of cheaper options than the Grand Californian. If you want to stay at the nicest closest hotel, then you pay the price. If not, you don't.

Opus1guy
06-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Yep. The wonders and mysteries of Yield Management. And the family next door to you in the exact same type room, might have only paid $199.

Just like airline ticket prices, they are always in a constant state of flux depending on loads, selling trends, history, and other criteria. With prices changing by the week, day, hour and sometimes even by the minute!

It always pays to keep checking prices even long after you've booked your room.

nursemelis374
06-13-2006, 02:57 PM
I was just checking on a whim and for my own wonderment. I have stayed there before and thought it was great, but I would not pay this much money. I was expecting around 300, but nothing like this.

biolabetty
06-13-2006, 03:26 PM
I stayed at the GCH about 3 weeks ago. When I first called, the price was around $400, and that was for a city view. I made the reservation and then called every day, sometimes twice a day until a discounted room came available. We were traveling with Grandma and could get the senior citizen rate, so we ended up staying in a theme park view room for 35% less than we would have in a city view room. It pays to keep checking, I was going to stay at a different location if the discount hadn't come through.

Darkbeer
06-13-2006, 05:45 PM
The Wynn in Las Vegas is offering me $100 rooms and $150 in free slot play per night...

And the Wynn is a Five Star Resort, unlike the maybe 3 star GCH.....

JUST SAY NO!!!!!

tinksmom
06-13-2006, 05:52 PM
That is why there are choices! To each their own!

By the way, we are paying $2000 for 5 nights, with 3, 6 days passes, for city view the last week of June, including taxes and fees. I think that comes out to roughly $260 per night. It priced out, through AAA, $100 bucks per night more for the same room for July!

Barbossa
06-13-2006, 07:47 PM
The Wynn in Las Vegas is offering me $100 rooms and $150 in free slot play per night...

JUST SAY NO!!!!!

Am I safe to assume that Mr. Wynn wouldn't give you a 5-Star room for $100/night unless you were a very good customer?

Darkbeer
06-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Am I safe to assume that Mr. Wynn wouldn't give you a 5-Star room for $100/night unless you were a very good customer?

Even with the money from the Tables/Slots losses at the Wynn, I spend MORE money at the Disneyland Resort!!!!:eek:

And I also get FREE beer (well, a beer when I get $10 worth of quarters) at the Wynn ;) (And folks, you need to know where to go to get the comp beers....):fez:

Barbossa
06-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Even with the money from the Tables/Slots losses at the Wynn, I spend MORE money at the Disneyland Resort!!!!:eek:

You got that right. Heck, I've dropped more jack at Blue Bayou than I've ever lost during a weekend in Vegas. ;) :p

tod
06-13-2006, 09:27 PM

And the Wynn is a Five Star Resort, unlike the maybe 3 star GCH....

They only offered me $139 rooms and $75 in slot play... and the $75 is only good once.

I liked the picture of the topless cutie at the pool that came in the package, tough. Had to look at it a minute before I noticed that she was only wearing a bikini bottom.

--t

pisces
06-14-2006, 10:12 AM

And I also get FREE beer (well, a beer when I get $10 worth of quarters) at the Wynn ;) (And folks, you need to know where to go to get the comp beers....):fez:

Me too. Because Vegas gives back money, Disney takes away!

pisces
06-14-2006, 10:13 AM

JUST SAY NO!!!!!

I stayed at Wynn last December, and didn't find it to be Five-star. Maybe 4-star at best.

06-14-2006, 10:13 AM
With the current weak U.S. dollar, Canadians and Europeans are getting a bargain.

pisces
06-14-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm going Christmas week, which they consider "peak" periods, and it's costing me $520.00 for a park view room, including tax and resort fee etc...

I've only saved up for about 4 days, at that price.

I think it's worth it, being Christmas and all.

Hope I can save enough to stay longer than 4 days.

Anything apart from that....I may be roughing it at Park Place, this year.

Praying hard.

DianeM
06-14-2006, 12:18 PM
We're going in October, for 6 nights at the BWPPI, for $534 (before taxes). The money we save is going to be spent on a Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour, Fantasmic waterside seating, a new sofa/loveseat set for the living room, upgrading our Christmas vacation in Canada, and gifts for our wonderful nephews. With a bit left over. :-)

I'm going Christmas week, which they consider "peak" periods, and it's costing me $520.00 for a park view room, including tax and resort fee etc...

gchcm
06-14-2006, 09:02 PM
I agree, the prices have been a bit high-- but like other posters have said, it IS peak season. Usually, I'll see rates on expedia for $189/night.

BTW, DGCH&S is not a 3, 4, or 5 star hotel. The hotel is rated only by AAA standards, so the correct term would be "4 Diamond."

I Heart Disneyland!
06-14-2006, 10:03 PM
I would so much rather stay at Homewood Suites for like $149 a night and have a 2 room suite with a kitchen and drive 3 miles to DL. I'd never pay $400 a night even if I had money to burn.

kiwifuz
06-14-2006, 10:19 PM
I would so much rather stay at Homewood Suites for like $149 a night and have a 2 room suite with a kitchen and drive 3 miles to DL. I'd never pay $400 a night even if I had money to burn.
Heck yeah! Especially with the breakfast included :)

Skunker
06-15-2006, 05:59 AM
I just don't see how most middle class families could afford a vacation that includes a hotel like GC. Even with driving from Colorado instead of flying, and having Hilton points for our hotel, I've budgeted at least 2k for the trip. That's passes (so cal pass), gas, food, etc. To me that is a lot of cash for a trip where I will be driving for 18 hours just to get there. I guess I may be out of touch with what is expected for a family to go on vacation?

Barbossa
06-15-2006, 06:59 AM
I just don't see how most middle class families could afford a vacation that includes a hotel like GC.

I made a similar remark to my DW the other day. I understand the free market laws of supply and demand. Disney has little problem packing its DLR hotels at $300-$600 per night and charging $18.00 for a deep fried sandwich. It's what the market will bear and any successful business will charge those rates. But to me it seems that some parts of Disney resorts are only accessible to those who have a lot of money. In other words, they're elitist. I know you can make a thousand objective arguments against this premise, but subjectively this is how it seems. I wonder what Walt would think?

Skunker
06-15-2006, 07:28 AM
I know you can make a thousand objective arguments against this premise, but subjectively this is how it seems. I wonder what Walt would think?

I concur - Walt created his park so the average man could take his family to a clean, safe place and enjoy themselves. I also understand market economics, but it's a shame that Disney is out of reach for many people, even those with good incomes but can't spend 4-5k for a family vacation.