PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland for New Year's Eve?

MickeyFan4Ever
06-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi Everyone,

I often peruse the discussion boards for tips and updates, but have never posted. I am hoping to organize a trip to DL for New Year's Eve 2006. I have only ever visited the parks in the middle of summer, so I was hoping if someone could tell me what New Year's Eve might be like? Is there anything special about that particular day?

Thanks so much for you kind advice. :)

hefferdude
06-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Lotsa fun, lotsa hoopla and lotsa lotsa people ! Later into the evening ( 10:30ish ) the park becomes a gridlock and movement near impossible so pick your midnight spot carefully. We had some by IASW, some over at NOS and the NOS might have been the better spot. I guess Main St might be #1 but we couldn't get back there until it was over.

cstephens
06-13-2006, 12:17 PM
New Year's Eve is generally quite crowded, but this past New Year's Eve was very nicely not very crowded at all. It rained for a few hours during the day, so the crowds left and stayed away in droves. We actually went on a ton of rides in the evening. We stayed all the way until closing and still weren't ready to leave yet.

If you were sitting on Main Street in the evening waiting for the fireworks, then it was packed and probably not much fun. We, however, managed to make our way from the Golden Horseshoe to Small World Mall and found a good spot just as the fireworks were about to start. Good times!

momuvseven
06-13-2006, 12:34 PM
We had the best time ever this past New Year's Eve. We planned for rain and we did pretty good but never expected the actual torrents of rain that came. We were soaked to our knees and down our backs.

We were there for early entry at 7am and rode more rides than I can remember. Around ten we did the Minnie and Friends breakfast with priority seating and again had an awesome time. It was just fantastic.

Then we went to see Santa and Mrs. Claus. They were so real that my unbelievers were converted to believing again. Saw the reindeer and made ornaments, took tons of pics with the Claus, Goofy, Chip and Dale and the reindeer. We were just having the best time even after the rain started.

People did leave in droves around mid afternoon. DH had bought ponchos for us all and that helped us out somewhat. The kids went on some rides without waiting and then we headed inside of Innovations to dry out and wait out the storm. Lots of other people with the same idea but everyone was friendly and in good spirits. Dh took the shuttle back to the hotel to get dry socks and jeans for everyone. Bless his heart!!! The kids went on Autopia over and over again while I stayed in Innoventions with the baby.

Finally around six or so the storm had stopped and we were changed into dry clothes and back in business. We went on more rides, got our party hats and horns. Listened to the band in tomorrowland. Around 930 pm we were just beat up tired. We went in search of a spot to wait it out but the gridlock was too much for us and we left the park and walked back to the hotel. Decided to order in Chinese and watch the fireworks from our Balcony.

If we had gone back to the hotel for a nap we would have made it through the night. We had heard that if we left we might not get back in so we were afraid to all leave. We had been there all week and ticket sales were closed by about ten each day with super long lines. Inside the park was fine but you had to be there early and be prepared. So we tried to stay all day on New Years but didn't quite make it. I heard that DCA was completely empty that night.

We had fun and we will be there again this year. Despite it being the busiest week of the year it was completely worth it because of the Christmas decorations, HM, IASW, the Christmas Parade and the very real Santa and Mrs. Claus. I have dozens of priceless photos from our time there.

AngelBear
06-13-2006, 03:43 PM
I was there for New Years way back in '89. :D It wasn't crowded at all - but we had to buy special tickets just for that evening, so I guess that's why? I remember it rained off and on all night, but we bought rain ponchos and they handed out party hats (like a top hat shape) so we didn't get wet. And the rides were walk-ons. I remember they had some big-name (at the time) bands there, but the only ones I remember are Lou Rawls and The Jets at Videopolis.

So I'm sure that doesn't help much, but it was a ton of fun! All the Christmas decorations are still up at that time too. Hope your trip works out for you!

Malcon10t
06-13-2006, 09:16 PM
We go every year. Its my favorite time. Last year, we entered early, but left to get out of the rain for a bit (took in a movie.) We went back in, Stompy Jones was playing at the Carnation, we had midnight ressies for Fantasmic! and then ended up hopping the train after, and finally got to the front gate abot 2am to head to the hotel. We did sleep in the next day...

janell
06-14-2006, 05:13 AM
My family goes every year. Its very busy, unless it rains and that has happened many years, which I don’t mind, it less crowded. We take an afternoon nap. Then we find a spot we want to stay at about 9:00 or so. And then just enjoy the evening and people watch. You can’t move anywhere to quickly so we just stay put. After midnight a lot of people go home. I would stay in the park, they are usually open till 2:00 am. There are really no lines for the rides.

pisces
06-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Sat, December 31, 2005:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Disneyland Park)
SPECIAL NEW YEAR'S EVE ENTERTAINMENT

--New Year's Eve "Fantasy in the Sky" Fireworks Show
Don't miss the countdown to 2006 and our largest pyrotechnic show of the year precisely at Midnight!
The Skies Above Disneyland
12:00 am

--New Year's Eve Countdown Central
Celebrate 50 years of classic Disney memories in song, and count down to 2006 at the heart of Disneyland Park.
Sleeping Beauty Castle
10:00 pm to 12:00 am

--Live High-Energy Cajun Music on the Rivers of America
Between performances of Fantasmic!, Lisa Haley and the Zydekats rock the Rivers of America and count down to the New Year!
Frontierland - Rivers of America
8:00, 9:45, 11:00, 11:45 pm

--"it's a small world" Promenade
Join in the fun with our comic host, DJ and some of your favorite Disney Characters for party fun and dancing to Top 40 and Radio Disney Hits!
Fantasyland - "it's a small world" Promenade
8:00 pm to 2:00 am

-------------------

(California Adventure)
SPECIAL NEW YEAR'S EVE ENTERTAINMENT

--Golden State Amphitheater
DJ Ray Rhodes will be spinning as our DCA Dancers burn up the golden State Stage with the hottest dance show in the land. Be there as the energy builds to a brilliant countdown to 2006!
9:15 pm to 1:00 am

--Hollywood Pictures Backlot
2006 is going to be a "Monster" year in the Backlot. Start if off in a HUGE way at the Backlot Stage with nonstop dancing all night long and a SCREAMING countdown to midnight!
10:00 pm to 1:00 am

--Paradise Bay
Paradise Bay is "the" place to be as we welcome in 2006 with an exciting, all-new countdown to midnight and a dazzling fireworks show over the water. Get a spot early. You won't want to miss this!
12:00 am

stan4d_steph
06-14-2006, 10:48 AM
It's a good party, but don't expect to go anywhere fast, and it's better if you don't plan to go on any rides.

pisces
06-14-2006, 10:48 AM
So, that was last New Year's Eve.....the main Park usually stays open till 2:00 am.

Here's my sort-of trip report, from just New Years Eve, in the Park:

December 31, 2005......From what I remember of it. I was awake from 6:30 am, that morning when I got to the maingate. I would have stayed in the Park all the way through till 2:00 am, had I not had to go back to the hotel to change wet clothes.

It was fun being on Splash at 2:00 am, as my last ride of that day.

From 10:00 pm till 10:30, I was on Space Mountain. I then decided to go have dinner at French Market at 11:00 pm. For the life of me, I could not tell you how I managed to get from Tomorrowland to NOS on NYE at 10:45 pm. I'm sure I crawled under ropes, hopped over railing, darted in and out of crowds etc. Somehow I got to French Market for dinner from 11:00-11:30 pm (ish) which was nice with the live entertainment at the French Market stage. I had no reservations, and was thrilled to get in and get my fried chicken for dinner on a NYE.

At about 11:30pm, I made my way from NOS, to the front of the castle, and once again, I could not tell you how I got there, other than jumping over ropes, people, fences etc....

Somehow, I did manage to get to the front of the Castle, (I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to all the people I stepped over/stepped on to get there) .

My viewing area was not great, though. Technically it was the front of the castle, but partially obscured by a few trees. Oh well, I just remember a lot of bright colors and Yankee Doodle Dandy music. The colors seemed a lot brighter and more vivid than the 9:25 fireworks.

After the fireworks, I decided the best place to be was Honey I shrunk the Audience, and once again, made my way there, stepping on/over ....who knows how many people.

Again, sorry to all those who got stepped on/squished by me.

MickeyFan4Ever
06-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks Everyone! Your experiences and advice were great. Thank you all so much.