PDA

View Full Version : Warning to those folks driving to/from Las Vegas, I-15 weekend closures

Darkbeer
06-13-2006, 10:45 AM
MAJOR construction is being planned that will actually close the freeway at the Cajon Pass on weekends (9 different planned in the next year, dates not yet announced).

Here is an news article with a map...

http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_3926104 (http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_3926104)

So be prepared, and double check before you go!

Three Different weekends are planned for this summer.

TheYeti
06-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up, we are heading to LV as a side trip from our DL vacation the 29th. That is a Thursday so I assume we are safe but will double check and listen to the desert highway radio reports. I guess the only way around would be to hit I-40 and cut through Laughlin. or does it say there will be an detour route? Viva LV and Viva DL:cool:

rentayenta
06-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the head's up. We got caught in construction traffic leaving LV going to So Cal last year and what should have been a 4 hour trip took close to 8 hours. It was maddening and miserable.

cirquelover
06-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up, we are driving through there in September. Lucky for us we are going on a Wednesday. So I'm gathering it should only take us 4 hours to drive from Anaheim to LV?

Sheila
06-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up, we are driving through there in September. Lucky for us we are going on a Wednesday. So I'm gathering it should only take us 4 hours to drive from Anaheim to LV?

Yes, it should take about four hours if you take no potty or gas breaks, and go slightly above the speed limit and traffic is free-flowing all the way. ;) Make sure to factor in time for breaks.

Travelling from northern San Fernando Valley, I find the trip takes about 3.5-4 hours for me.

vickieluvsmickey
06-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the info. We are going to LV on 6/25 & 6/26 so I called the Caltrans number on Darkbeer's link to see if we'd be affected. I was transferred to the local Caltrans office. They told me the work won't start until Aug./Sept.

So, anyone traveling that route during late summer should check w/ caltrans just to be safe.

ssmccullough
06-16-2006, 10:52 AM
The 15 is usually clear of all traffic unless its a Sunday. Usually most people are coming back from Vegas on that day.

TikiGeek
06-16-2006, 01:12 PM
CalTrans has had ongoing construction on the Cajon Pass for about 3 months now. Off and on the delays have been 30mins. to 2 hours - they have not yet completely shut down I-15 (Oh! That's gonna be fun :rolleyes: ). Just be prepared that you could be delayed up to 2 hours before the major projects start. Sorry for the possible bad news.

Thanks for the heads-up DB. :)