PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Motels

hfisher
04-26-2002, 09:28 AM
Looking for feedback on the BEST / CLOSEST place to stay to the Magic Kingdom.

Based upon comments on the web, I've sort of narrowed it to
Candy Cane Inn and Park Vue Inn.

Any feedback from you Disneyland junkees?

harry

Dave Z
04-26-2002, 12:56 PM
GO here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/offsite/2_dl/dl_offsite.htm) for some reviews.

I have not stayed at Candy Cane but have never heard a bad review. I would rather be as close as the Park Vue, where I have stayed, but I was disappointed in the condition of the place. The price for the Park Vue is usually much less than, say next door at the Desert or Park Place that are in much better condition.

daannzzz
04-26-2002, 01:55 PM
I have stayed at both. The Park Vue is really close to the crosswalk over to Disneyland. The rooms are average. The bed was decent, the walls and windows thin allowing in lots of sound. This place has no atmosphere. the pools is at the side of the parking lot surrounded by cement. It is an older motel stuck in amongs larger more interesting places but is convenient and sometimes less expensive. Most of the other places on Harbor are worth the extra $10-20.
The Candy Cane Inn is probably only about a five minute longer walk than the Park Vue. It is a much nicer motel with lots of Atmosphere, comfortable beds in rooms with some nice decore. The pook is also in the middle of the parkinglot but has small gardens arouns it and trees. It is also next to the area where the very nice continental breakfast is served.
If you can afford it the Candy Cane i Much nice. If $$$ are a not so available the Park Vue is just an okay place to stay.

cyberRoo
04-26-2002, 02:13 PM
Back in the day, (before we lived in LA), we almost always stayed at the Fairfield Inn. It's in the same "walking distance" range of the pedestrian crosswalk, the rooms are pretty nice, and you can see the park if you request a room on an upper floor with a park view.

Off season, or if we made reservations far enough in advance, you could get a room for about $59.

Lani
04-27-2002, 07:35 AM
We recommend either the Desert Inn and Suites, or the Best Western Park Place Inn. Both are in front of the pedestrian walkway, and both are fine quality-wise. We have stayed at the Desert Inn numerous times, and have started staying at the latter since we started accruing Best Western points.

Nfatuated
04-28-2002, 10:19 AM
Stay away from the Park Vue. Their Customer service really stinks. I just got back at the end of march and had a problem with my billing. I just barely had the manager get this fixed on friday. And that was after I had threatend to turn this complaint over to the better buisness bureau. I had left 1o messages and 5 emails and it took a threat to finally get someone to help me. Stay at either the carousel or Candy cane these are sure bets. Cheap is not always good, trust me

Gemini Cricket
04-28-2002, 04:09 PM
When I lived in Orange, my friends visited me @ stayed near Anaheim @ the Candy Cane Inn. They enjoyed staying there thoroughly. They thought it was inexpensive, comfortable and friendly. I stayed w/ them for a night and enjoyed being there as well.
I'd recommend it.

The only other motels I have stayed @ in the area were the Ramada Inn and the Best Western Space Age Inn. They're both gone now I hear.

:)

MammaSilva
04-28-2002, 07:09 PM
GC .. the Ramada was bought by Marriotts and is now the Fairfield Inn by Marriotts right there by Mcdonalds and Millies and they just torn down a so so Mexican restaurant and put up a Mimi's that I can't wait to try on our next visit, I love the Mimi's here :)

Gemini Cricket
04-28-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
GC .. the Ramada was bought by Marriotts and is now the Fairfield Inn by Marriotts right there by Mcdonalds and Millies
Not to derail anything but Millie's rocks. They have the best cornbread.
:)

gwegowy
04-29-2002, 09:54 AM
I had a very good experience at the Anabella motel. It is right next to the convention center, right across from disneyland. We payed like $100, but it was a weekend, and during a very busy conventions center weekend at that, when all the local motels were booked. (We were there to attend the convention.)

beanpole
04-30-2002, 12:09 AM
I tend to stay at the Howard Johnson, which is about a fifteen minute walk from the park entrance. Prices are low, rooms are decent (as long as you are situated in the front of the main building - facing the park and away from the freeway behind the hotel) and it's pretty quiet. Recommended for those that don't care much about amenities such as free breakfasts, themed swimming pools or proximity to a miniature golf course.

I like the relaxed feel of the place. Sure, it isn't particularly entertaining or magical as far as hotels go, but that's what the park's for. When it's time to head back to your room after a grueling 12-hour day of waiting in lines and having your senses bombarded with non-stop stimulus, Howard Johnson's provides just the peace and quiet you need to recharge for the next day's activities.

Flynn
05-02-2002, 12:24 PM
Personally, I prefer to stay at the Desert Palm Suites, not to be confused with the Desert Inn and Suites. While the Palm is a bit further away, it is also considerably less expensive, and a number of the rooms have whirlpool baths. The whirlpool rooms are about $10-$20/night more than the regular rooms, but boy is that tub worth it after a long day at the park.

Also, since it's near the convention center, you can take the back entrance (across from the convention center) and then let one of the trams ferry you to the front gate. Even if you stay past the trams shutdown time, it's only a 15 minute or so walk back to the hotel. Unfortunately the free breakfast they offer is really not worth the time.

Lani
05-02-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Flynn
Also, since it's near the convention center, you can take the back entrance (across from the convention center) and then let one of the trams ferry you to the front gate.To me, this defeats the whole purpose of staying across the street from the entrance. I have stayed in a few other motels along South Harbor, and once you start getting a bit farther out (for example with HoJos) and you are tired, you are going to want to depend on that silly shuttle.

MickeyD
05-02-2002, 01:19 PM
You're talking about the Lion King tram, right Flynn? What time does it usually stop running? I've stayed at the Desert Palm Suites a number of times and taken the Lion King tram back at night. I also would recommend the Desert Palm Suites or the Anabella.

mikala
05-02-2002, 04:30 PM
I am not sure if you have a specific budget or prefer walking distance, but we always stay at either Disney properties or more frequently stay at Crowne Plaza. It is awesome. It has been open for a lil over a year, and has valet, bell service, concierge, room service, and alot more. Also it is located next to Joe's Crab Shack & Outback Steakhouse in case you want to have some meals outside the park. Across the steet is Target. They have a great shuttle system for free. Their pool is great too. We will be there for Mouse Adventure and to activate our new Annual Passes. Best of luck.

hawaiimouse
05-03-2002, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by beanpole
I tend to stay at the Howard Johnson, which is about a fifteen minute walk from the park entrance. Prices are low, rooms are decent (as long as you are situated in the front of the main building - facing the park and away from the freeway behind the hotel) and it's pretty quiet. Recommended for those that don't care much about amenities such as free breakfasts, themed swimming pools or proximity to a miniature golf course.

I go along with Hojo's...been there three times in the last two years and have been very happy with the rooms and service. Since I tend to go off season, I'll just stop off at either Millie's or Mimi's on the way back for dinner and some rest and then walk back. Agree with getting rooms that face the park, though the room on the freeway side wasn't too noisy. Got a $59 daily rate for Mother's Day week! Hope to get to the park in time to see if any MP'ers will be there. :)

Flynn
05-03-2002, 11:57 AM
Yes, I was referring to the Lion King tram. As I recall, they keep running for 15 minutes after the park closes, which sadly isn't as late as Downtown Disney is open. Still, it isn't too horid of a walk if you miss the last tram, and you could always try and catch a taxi or bus (although I must admit, I've never tried this).