PDA

View Full Version : Being in a Parade Report

UsBurchs
06-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Well, many of you asked how we got to be in a parade at Disneyland this past weekend, so I thought I would share our experience with you all. We were asked to join my father-in-law's family and the Horseless Carriage Club of Southern California at a parade on Sunday. It was a VERY cool experience, although the parade part only lasted about 10 minutes.

My husband, son and I had been at the parks on Saturday to enjoy ourselves (more on that later), so we stayed at Paradise Pier that night, which was wonderful! On Sunday morning, after a fun time at the Lilo and Stitch breakfast, we got dressed up in our 1910's clothing and checked out of the hotel and waited for my father-in-law in the lobby. We got a lot of looks and everyone thought my two-year-old was adorable in his little knickers and newsboy cap. Once my father-in-law drove up with the 1912 Model T Towncar in tow, they understood.

We drove around to the backside of the Mickey and Friends Parking lot to unload. My father-in-law and his family hopped in the car and drove over to the staging area just to the north of DL while we hopped on a tram and went over that way. Then another bunch of waiting around until they moved us to the staging area just on the other side of It's a Small World that you pass through when you ride the Steam Train around DL. We had a great time talking to Marti, a CM, about the ins and outs of working for Disney (thanks Marti!) and then at 11:30, they opened the gates and our line of cars, walkers and high-wheeled bike riders were released onto the parade route.

Just as my husband and I were towing our little boy through the gates in his wagon, he laid down and fell asleep! So, throughout the parade route, we got a lot of "ah! Isn't that cute!!" It was funny. I had fun waving at the kids and adults that lined the route. We walked down to Main Street and out the Firehouse gate and it was over! Just like that. The tram took us back to the original staging area for goodbyes (and where I changed in the dressing room) and then we headed back to the parking lot. Our family then got to spend the rest of the day at Disneyland.

It was a very cool experience and although our son slept through most of it, it was a very special time for him during his first trip to Disneyland. I'll be posting a report on traveling around DLR with a toddler in ONE day soon. :)

If anyone ever gets the chance to join in a parade at DLR, I recommend it. It was short for the time we spent waiting, but very fun! A great Disney experience!

daisy4me
06-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Glad you had a great time. I will be going next week with a toddler so I hope your experience was good. Cant wait to read your trip report about the park:fez:

mommy-san
06-13-2006, 07:59 AM
what parade was this?

wasn't the parade of dreams.... too short, too early right?

honeymoon @disney
06-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Wow, that sounds like so much fun! I'm glad your family had such a wonderful time. :)

UsBurchs
06-13-2006, 02:27 PM
what parade was this?

wasn't the parade of dreams.... too short, too early right?

Every once in a while, Disneyland has special parades for various groups. This is the fourth year that the car club has been asked to do this. It was a parade just for our group, in the middle of the day. The turn out wasn't great for parade on-lookers, but it was fun to walk down the roads at Disneyland and not fight any crowds! ;)

Later that night we caught the Parade of Dreams - it was the only time we saw Donald Duck the whole weekend. My son was thrilled when he did peek-a-boo with him! It made his day!

mommy-san
06-13-2006, 03:21 PM
my BIL must have seen a parade like this because he said the parade he saw in April was short and not many characters... but he enjoyed what he saw. Glad YOU had fun... what an amazing day for you all.:)