PDA

View Full Version : Disney Pins / Lanyard Questions

eyeorelover
06-12-2006, 11:03 AM
We will be going down to DL in July for an 11 day trip with our 2 children (ages 4 & 7) and wanted to possibly try the pin trading as something new for them to do. Instead of wanting new toys/souvineers every couple days, I thought giving each one a lanyard with 5-6 pins they could trade over the days would keep things exciting and not as expensive as them wanting new stuffed animals. I have never done the whole pin trading thing before so we'll be new to it as well. For those of you that have done this before, any suggestions? Where is the best place to get "Starter kits"? I know I saw some at Disneyland when we were there in Nov. that had the lanyard and 4-5 pins. Does anyone know the price of those? Is that the best way to start the kids? Is ebay a cheaper way to pick up initial lanyards and pins? Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

Mindy

SeansMom
06-12-2006, 11:50 AM
If you bought a travel package, I believe those come with lanyards. Ebay has pins in lots, as well as sold per piece. Just another option.
Whatever you decide, have fun with it!

yellowrosedtxn
06-12-2006, 12:19 PM
First let me tell you to be careful bying the pins on eBay. I got 25 pins for 49.95 (or something close to that) and the price looks great blah blah BUT I discovered after I got the pins that they are really cheap looking. They are a lot thinner than the ones that you buy at the Disney store or at Disneyland. So, just a precautionary measure, be really careful in what you buy in lots on eBay. I do know if you buy the pins that only have a few too them, they are the authentic ones and are sturdier and things like that. (My kids and I have bought individual pins with no problems.)

Now, for the starter lanyard, I want to say they can run you anywhere from 15.00 to 25.00 (from what I remember of our trip last year). This can also get really expensive because your kids are going to be excited in trading, but they will want to have something "new" to trade. The pins are usually 6.50 on up so it can get expensive. My son must have spent $100.00 on pins last year (and he wasn't the only one) so just be careful.

IT is fun, and it is ADDICTING! Enjoy your time and trading pins! We are heading back soon, and we are all taking back our pins for more trading!

Shelley

eyeorelover
06-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info and advice. I was worried about the ebay quality as I know somethings on there are not always as they seem. We actually bought the season passes in Nov. so I can't get lanyards with a package deal but I thought the Starter packs at the park were an ok deal - does anyone know if I can buy those anywhere else - before we get there? Not that they have to be cheaper - just to have them ahead of time so we have more time to enjoy the parks. Thanks again!

vmjess
06-12-2006, 01:37 PM
We do this with our kids- we started out using the lanyards we got with our travel package, but bought kid size ones at Star Traders in tomorrowland because the others were too long.

We usually let them buy 2-3 new pins over the duration of our trip, and they trade with CMs a little too. I only buy them at the park, and the kids usually trade the csaa pins that come with our package for something more exciting to them.

twist1980
06-12-2006, 02:22 PM
I thought the Starter packs at the park were an ok deal - does anyone know if I can buy those anywhere else - before we get there? Not that they have to be cheaper - just to have them ahead of time so we have more time to enjoy the parks. Thanks again!

Mouseshoppe.com sells pins and starter sets. Try this link...http://www.mouseshoppe.com/directory.cfm?CategoryID=317

That has pin sets and starter sets you might be interested in! :)

simbaNnala101
06-12-2006, 02:53 PM
I remember seeing starter kits at disneyland with like tinkerbell and the villians that had I think 6 pins on each but they were very expensive like $55-$75!!! I would just get them the one that comes with your packages and then when you get to the park get them each a few new pins. I would say about $25-$30 for each of the kids should be enough for each to get about 3-4 pins. So I hope that helps it is very expensive thing to start. But it sounds like it should be new and fun for them.

~Ash~

mickeynminnie
06-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Don't forget that www.disneyshopping.com often has pins in the Outlet section for far less than full price as well as Disney Auctions. They are not always the best price, but sometimes you may luck out. They also have lanyards designed for kids that are just starting out trading that come with 6 pins (2 of each mickey, minnie and donald I think) so they can trade one of each and still have them in their collection if they like them, otherwise, they can trade both sets.

WITron
06-12-2006, 09:01 PM
There are websites that are dedicated to Disney pin trading and have some good discussions and what to look for, so you don't get ripped off by knock off pins. If you are interested in the links PM me.

charpaul
06-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Starter lanyards come in two styles:

- One is a lanyard and a complete set of 8 pins (usually around $50) that is a collector’s item. Not bad if you want to start with that set. But not really intended to trade with although it is used for this purpose too.

- The other has the lanyard and a set of 4 pins (2 styles). There are 2 of each pin in the set - one to keep on your lanyard and one to trade away. That way you have two traders to start with. This is the Trader Starter Set and I would recommend this set for your kids to start with. It is cheaper (about $25) and allows them to choose a lanyard and theme of pins to start with.

You can also buy 4 pin sets (on a single card) for $22 and then use them for trading.

These are available at most pin places at the resort – but check out:
World of Disney in Downtown Disney
Pin Trader Store – Downtown Disney Monorail Station
Silver Spur in Frontierland
Emporium on Main Street
Store Command in Tomorrowland
Pin Cart – Carnation Plaza

Pin trading / collecting is not necessarily cheap - but it can be fun.

I would also recommend that you trade with cast members only. The CM's with trading lanyards MUST trade with guests. They are usually cheerful and helpful in trading. ALSO some of them wear the TEAL lanyards that are for kids to trade with ONLY!!! The regular pin traders are sometimes too aggressive with their trading. They do not always deal well with kids wanting to trade.

canadianmom
06-13-2006, 02:19 PM
On another note about trading pins with CM's, when we were in DL last year, I talked to a CM about pin trading and they actually have two lanyards, one for trading with adults and one for trading with kids. We are heading back this November and I have gone on Ebay and bought a number of pins for the kids (to surprise them), I have been fortunate and received authentic pins for great prices.

EchoThree76
06-13-2006, 05:38 PM
IF you should buy some on ebay make sure you ask the person if the have the copywrite Disney symbol on the back of the Pin. If they dont have them they wont be traded with at DL

Tinker Bell
06-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Here is a website for events on pins. http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/index

Then here is a web site to talk pins. http://www.dizpins.com/

If you have any big questions. They also have a sale board there where you can get some pins for cheap. I like to wait for Gift With Purchase days to buy my pins at DL. More pins for my buck.

eyeorelover
06-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Thank you all so much for your help. The starter kits talked about and shown on mouseshoppe.com are exactly what Iwas thinking of. We did decide to wait until we get there and let the kids pick out their own starter set and lanyard (the ones with 4 each) and then maybe a few more days int othe trip we'll buy another 4 pack set of pins and let them keep or trade those too. And, based on our thoughts and what you all have said, I thin kwe will stick with just having them trade with the CM's. I had no idea about the diffeent colored lanyards they wear, but now we'll look for the kid trading ones too. Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful info. Only 20 more days to go...........

Mindy

UsBurchs
06-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Since we're on the subject . . . my husband swears he saw someone with a lanyard at Disneyland this past weekend that said "Dead men tell no tales". Of course, this is the ONLY souvenier he wanted and we couldn't find one. Do they even exsist? Or was it just a figment of his imagination?

Tinker Bell
06-14-2006, 07:03 PM
There are alot of pins being released to go along with the new movie here is the info and pix of the pins. http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/event?id=14022