PDA

View Full Version : Problems with a Cast Member

Pages : [1] 2 3

doombuggy driver
06-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi
I was wondering if anyone has a problem with a snippy CM and what to do about it?

Here is my story:
We were at DLR getting on to INDY and the CM pulled us out of line to check my five year daughters height. We had been on the ride 10 times prior in the previous three days and knew it was coming. When he pulled her out 15 epolple went by us and I said "she has already been measured" and he said "I'm just doing my job". It was not what he said, but how he said it that caught us off guard. My husband was very offended, but we rode the ride (where they measured her 2 more times inside) and then went our merrily way.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Also:
there should be a way for them to stamp a child once they are measured. We rode INDY 5 times in one day and they measured her a lot!!!!!! They need a wristband or stamp.

thanks for reading!

DaddyB
06-10-2006, 08:18 PM
If you know that she's that close to the ride's height limit, maybe you should volunteer to have her measured instead of waiting to be pulled out of line? It's what I have done in the past, it just saves time (and aggravation). I know after several days this get's tiring, but you know that even if you have the same employee, likely that person isn't going to remember you from an hour ago.

And if you truly have a problem with a castmembers attitude, you should probably say something (nicely) to the castmember. Sometimes they don't realize that their voice is conveying the tiredness and exhaustion that they're feeling. If you don't get satisfaction there, there's always city hall (get the castmember's name from their badge). But I consider this my last option. I don't like it when people go to my boss behind my back, so I try my best to get things resolved face to face with the castmember I have a grievance with.

And don't forget that WRITING a complaint is far, far, FAR more effective than just voicing one to whoever comes out from behind the magic curtain at City Hall.

Crazy4DL
06-10-2006, 08:22 PM
And if you truly have a problem with a castmembers attitude, you should probably say something (nicely) to the castmember. Sometimes they don't realize that their voice is conveying the tiredness and exhaustion that they're feeling. If you don't get satisfaction there, there's always city hall .

Excellent post . . . good ideas. :)

doombuggy driver
06-10-2006, 08:26 PM
If you know that she's that close to the ride's height limit, maybe you should volunteer to have her measured instead of waiting to be pulled out of line? It's what I have done in the past, it just saves time (and aggravation). I know after several days this get's tiring, but you know that even if you have the same employee, likely that person isn't going to remember you from an hour ago.

And if you truly have a problem with a castmembers attitude, you should probably say something (nicely) to the castmember. Sometimes they don't realize that their voice is conveying the tiredness and exhaustion that they're feeling. If you don't get satisfaction there, there's always city hall (get the castmember's name from their badge). But I consider this my last option. I don't like it when people go to my boss behind my back, so I try my best to get things resolved face to face with the castmember I have a grievance with.

And don't forget that WRITING a complaint is far, far, FAR more effective than just voicing one to whoever comes out from behind the magic curtain at City Hall.

Thanks for the Good advice.
We had pulled her out ourselves and I don't know why we didn't that time. It was the 2nd time that day and I think that we were just excited to ride again. I would not tell City Hall unless it was a major issue. I also hate it when people go over my head!

Leli
06-11-2006, 02:59 AM
The last time I rode the Haunted Mansion the CM working there looked very aggravated and very tired. A guest approached her and her response was, "What." and some rolling of the eyes. The guest was actually taken aback by it. Not to mention she continued to yell in a very mean way for people to move forward. I mean, I've been on the Haunted Mansion a billion times and have been told to completely fill the dead space, but she was just rude! :eek:

RStar
06-11-2006, 08:02 AM
They tried a wrist band once. They had these electronic paddles and measuered the child at a measuring station (I think next to the information board) and gave them a colored coded wrist band, and then for the rest of the day they didn't need to be measuered. I don't know what happened to the system.

I know it's a drag, but it's for the safty of the children. However, please remember that huge number of cast members are new these days. I would take the above advice, and mention to the cast member that perhaps their tone should be watched. Remind them that while you understand that they are just doing their job, you are just trying to have a good time with your family. If that doesn't change their attitude, get their name, and note the time and location of the occurance, and then complain at City Hall. Because then this person needs to be reminded by their lead that they don't work at a fast food resturant, they work at Disneyland. I had a similar thing happen on Indy (Only about the wheel chair entrance), and the lead came over to City Hall to talk to us about it.

I don't know what it's going to take to get the magic back, but something has got to be done about the quality of CMs.

Well, yes I do know.

Better pay would help. And not treating the park CMs like second class citizens compared to the suits in TDA. And bring back some of the perks like they use to have. Also, don't stuff them in a dark corner like cattle during special events like they did for the first POTC movie. Just a few things like that would make a lot of difference. Walt got it. He came up with it in the first place. But does TDA get it? I don't think so.........

But I digress........

~Bob

GrumpyUTboi
06-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Not saying that you would do this, but you know some people would love the chance to make a few $$ if their child got hurt on a ride because a CM did not measure them.

I was at DL in April and we were in line at the Critter Country Store over by the Pooh ride and this lady was yelling at a supervisor because of the wait time to be served. The supervisor was apologizing for the wait, and of course we were waiting for 10-15 min while this person was complaining. I finally had enough and said excuse me to the guest and proceded to let her know that I was getting really angry at her for holding up the line for 15 min, that the food service was down 3000 employees, that many of these people had been working 10-12 days straight for 12 hours at a time and that if she wanted to do something about the problem she could get behind the counter and deal with jack***es such as herself and that she was not helping the situation. The look was priceless and she stormed off, the look on the cm's face was priceless as well.

Sometimes we think that we are the only guests there and that we are more special than others. It could be that just before you got there a parent had gone completly off on this individual, attacking them personally, such as getting a real job or something like that. Or they could just really hate their job.

Disney Vault
06-11-2006, 10:01 AM
The look was priceless and she stormed off, the look on the cm's face was priceless as well.Oh I wish I could have seen this:D

zombie pirate
06-11-2006, 11:42 AM
I wouldnt make a complait to city hall or any thing like that, but I would let them know If I treat you with respect, please treat me the same way. Imagine some of the idiots they deal with, for the most part they are very professional.

janell
06-11-2006, 09:21 PM
I am not sure if anyone else has seen this happen, but I have seen it now three times.

This past Saturday I was driving in to the parking structure at about 7:45 am. There were two lanes open and people were waiting for the turn. A few cars, drove up along the side of the cars that are waiting to pay. And those cars, who were not waiting their turns wanted over into the lanes that were open. And you could tell which lanes where open and which ones weren’t long before you got close to where you pay. I know sometimes it confusing.

Anyhow, people were getting in yelling matches with each other. Because the cars, that were cutting wanted over and the cars that waited there turn weren’t letting them. When I got to the front, I told the cast member, what was going on and at some point there could be a real fight. It could have turned into road rage in a parking structure. The CM just told me there was nothing he could do. I was shocked. He couldn’t have told his lead what was going on? Get more cones farther back?

I didn’t like what he had to say. So when I was walking to the tram, I sow a CM and told him what was going on and being that I am an ex-cast member. I know they would like to head off problems before they start. He thanked me and said he was sorry for any problems. Which there wasn’t I was just worried something could happen.

I still can’t believe the one CM said there was nothing he could do. What???:confused:

animalx
06-11-2006, 09:31 PM
I think it would be a good idea to have a stamping system somewhere on Main Street to get a measurement and a stamp with the childs height measurement. I think that you should suggest it to City Hall . With their new promo where people come first , it might be a good fit

chrisaustx
06-12-2006, 02:27 AM
I am not sure if anyone else has seen this happen, but I have seen it now three times.

This past Saturday I was driving in to the parking structure at about 7:45 am. There were two lanes open and people were waiting for the turn. A few cars, drove up along the side of the cars that are waiting to pay. And those cars, who were not waiting their turns wanted over into the lanes that were open. And you could tell which lanes where open and which ones weren’t long before you got close to where you pay. I know sometimes it confusing.

Anyhow, people were getting in yelling matches with each other. Because the cars, that were cutting wanted over and the cars that waited there turn were not’t letting them. When I got to the front, I told the cast member, what was going on and at some point there could be a real fight. It could have turned into road rage in a parking structure. The CM just told me there was nothing he could do. I was shocked. He could’t have told his lead what was going on? Get more cones farther back?

I did not’t like what he had to say. So when I was walking to the tram, I sow a CM and told him what was going on and being that I am an ex-cast member. I know they would like to head off problems before they start. He thanked me and said he was sorry for any problems. Which there wasn’t I was just worried something could happen.

I still can’t believe the one CM said there was nothing he could do. What???:confused:

On 11/11/05, I had the same problem you experienced, only one lane was open in the parking structure and 40 cars were lined up. The wonderful people of Southern California, believed that they didn't need to wait in line and could drive to the front and cut in. I refused to allow any cars to cut to the front of the line, I had waited for 20 minuets for my turn. I had a guy in a Honda mini van get out of his car, he pounded on my car's hood and demanded that I let him cut in. I told him everyone else had waited that he cut in line, and to go in reverse, and exit the parking structure and get in the real line. The guy refused and told me he would kill me, and destroy my car, he had his wife and kid in his minivan. My cell phone has no service on the bottom level of the garage, the cell phone transmitters are on the top level of the garage, so the concrete blocks the signal. I told the cast member that the guy threatened to kill me unless I let him cut to the front, she did nothing. I now have the number for Anaheim P.D. and DLR security in my phone, but if cell phones won't work downstairs by the parking booths, it won't do any good anyways. There are usually cones up that block off the closed lanes, but the wonderful people of Southern California treat the parking structure like it is the I-5 freeway, and cut right to the front, no waiting in line required.

janell
06-12-2006, 06:28 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that chrisaustx. I have too tried my cell phone while waiting and could get out. I don't think your the only one that this has happen too. I have seen it before, may have even been you, not sure.

I think Disney has a big problem and they need to address it, before someone gets hurt. And if someon gets hurt, what are they going to do?

They need to staff more CM when they first open, they know there is going to be a line. And I also see a lot of CM hanging out by where you cross the trams path to get to chip and dale and the outside parking area. They are just standing around chatting. Why aren't they over taking the money so the lines move faster and more lanes are open, I'll never know. Disney has a big problem on their hands, I hope they know it.

I am sorry for what you went thought and I am glad your okay. There are some crazy people out there.

bradk
06-12-2006, 06:29 AM
reportedly the problem with the wristband system was that guests were switching them around to get around it.

don't ever expect any 'excuse,' legitimate or not, to fly with a lot of CMs. in fact, it's easier to pass them by the newer CMs than the seasoned, hardened ones. people come up with them every day. I was talking with one character host and he talked about how when he had to close the line, people would always try to get in by saying they're leaving now and this is their last chance. sure enough, within 10 minutes, i heard it from 2 separate people.

it might have been true, it probably wasn't.

reminds me of an airline episode where someone was trying to bring fish on the plane in a plastic bag (i think) and they stopped the passenger and said it was against policy. of course the passenger responds with 'but i fly southwest all the time and i do this every week and it's never been a problem.'

averagedork
06-12-2006, 07:15 AM
Christie, that is horrible! The guy with his kids. I would've been like "There is nothing you can do about it? I am reporting it to City Hall" and I would've taken the jackhole's liscence plate number and taken it straight to City Hall. If there is a threat of violence, that's serious.

RStar
06-12-2006, 10:45 AM
reportedly the problem with the wristband system was that guests were switching them around to get around it. I wondered if that was the case, but some wrist bands are imposible to get off withought runing them. Although, some people can figure a way to cheat any system.

bradk
06-12-2006, 01:28 PM
a pair of scissors and scotch tape and what CM is going to check every single one?

Malcon10t
06-12-2006, 02:22 PM
a pair of scissors and scotch tape and what CM is going to check every single one?
Run your finger under the wrist band pulling it away a few times, you can loosen it enough to slide it off. I do this with wristbands I have to wear for another situation, and I hate wearing them, so I slide it off at night to shower and sleep, and slide it back on in the AM to go back into the event. Its what parents learned, so they could get a wristband for one child, and place it on a smaller child to escape the height checks back when Disney tried this.

Diosabellissima
06-12-2006, 02:25 PM
On the theme of bad parking issues (if this isn't a hijack . . . :D )

My friend was on leave from the Air Force and we went to Disneyland. . . I want to say it was last June. Anyway, it was first thing in the morning and as we were in line to park, one of the line cutters was zooming past on one of the right closed lanes.

By the time I got to the front the guy tried to force is way in front of my car. I just ignored him and pulled closer to the car in front of me. Line cutter guy started screaming. "Let me the *F* in, you *B*!" My friend and I started laughing, I mean- who is THAT high strung. . . at DISNEYLAND?

Well, I still don't let him in. Line Cutter's girlfriend rolled down her window and started screaming for us to let them over, with a ton of vulgarity- naturally. Both had bright red faces and were just losing it. It was really. really. funny.

So as they're screaming, you hear from off in the distance, "Come ON! It's the HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH" My friend and I doubled over laughing. Line Cutters got angrier. We laughed more. Then we paid and went into the park.

We saw them throughout the day- girlfriend just had the worst sour puss face every single time we saw them. Poor things, they're day was ruined by the fact that they couldn't wait like civilzed people. Darn.

Diosabellissima
06-12-2006, 02:26 PM
*They're = "Their" of course. Bah.

tonytone
06-12-2006, 02:33 PM
On 11/11/05, I had the same problem you experienced, only one lane was open in the parking structure and 40 cars were lined up. The wonderful people of Southern California, believed that they didn't need to wait in line and could drive to the front and cut in. I refused to allow any cars to cut to the front of the line, I had waited for 20 minuets for my turn. I had a guy in a Honda mini van get out of his car, he pounded on my car's hood and demanded that I let him cut in. I told him everyone else had waited that he cut in line, and to go in reverse, and exit the parking structure and get in the real line. The guy refused and told me he would kill me, and destroy my car, he had his wife and kid in his minivan...
Wow, what a great dad/husband that jerk is! :rolleyes: Wonder if his kid saw any of this and if so, what was going through the poor kid's mind? "Gee Dad, you sure showed that ingrate--serves him right to not let you cut in!"...NOT!!! I wouldn't be surprised if that idiot spun a different story to his wife and kid in explaining his stupid actions--"I was just trying to find out how much it costs to park in the garage, and all of a sudden this guy started yelling at me for no reason, so I pounded on his hood to let him know that he shouldn't be yelling at me like that!"

Seriously though--I'm glad that things didn't escalate to the point where the numbnut didn't actually carry through w/ his threat to you...not so much for his own good, but for the safety of you and/or your party!

CariBelle
06-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Even in the Happiest Place on Earth I might get a little testy if I heard "He/She has already been measured!" a few hundred times a day.

PirateSmile
06-12-2006, 04:06 PM
My friends and I were in line about to get into the cars for Screamin'. None of us had ever ridden before, and I don't think any of us had ever been on a roller coaster with the luxury of a place to put your carry-on items within the car. So, we automatically went over to the other side of the hub or whatever you would call it to put our bags over there, like we did on every other coaster we'd ever ridden. The CM must've thought this was pretty irritating, because he yelled at us to "put your bags in the car!!" He yelled it loud too. What a simple thing to get angry over. I would expect that if we kept persisting to put our bags on the ground, but we'd never ridden before! Like the OP said, it wasn't what he said, it was how he said it.

Bolivar
06-12-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure why Disney would care if people pulled stunts to game the system regarding wristbands for kids' height. It seems it would be much simpler for the CMs and the guests to have that kind of system and if parents were stupid enough to get around it, I don't think you could hold Disney responsible for the parent's neglegence doing something that stupid. And by you I mean the legal system wouldn't hold them responsible.

Though I guess you could make the arguement that Disney is going beyond the call of duty and trying to protect kids from stupid parents.

Malcon10t
06-12-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm not sure why Disney would care if people pulled stunts to game the system regarding wristbands for kids' height. It seems it would be much simpler for the CMs and the guests to have that kind of system and if parents were stupid enough to get around it, I don't think you could hold Disney responsible for the parent's neglegence doing something that stupid. And by you I mean the legal system wouldn't hold them responsible.

Though I guess you could make the arguement that Disney is going beyond the call of duty and trying to protect kids from stupid parents.
While we may not think it is, there are safety concerns. And even an inch or 2 can make a difference. Since Disney knows there is a way parents/kids can mess with the wristbands, and they don't recheck the height, they are again negligent. In a litigious society, they couldn't afford to make this mistake.