PDA

View Full Version : How far do AP holders drive?

kranders
04-25-2002, 11:59 AM
I just came back from a 3 day trip to the resort and am already planning a trip out this October. We have about a 4 hour drive to get there, but I'm still thinking about getting an AP...2 trips and it will have paid for itself.
Does anyone else drive a ways and still have an AP? How far? Do you spend the night every time? If I get an AP I'll want to be making as many trips as posible.
Thanks for your help.
Ken

DJ_MENTOS
04-25-2002, 12:24 PM
I live in the Inland Empire so I have about a 45 minute drive.
-DJ_MENTOS

mad4mky
04-25-2002, 12:26 PM
Well Ken,
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (actually fairly near Stanford University)...and we have AP's. It usually takes us about 6 to 6 1/2 hours to get to DL. We try to go as often as possible...but it depends on school schedules, vacation time off from work, etc.
We usually stay a night or two. Last time we went down, we only went to DL one day, but had stayed the night before we went into the park. It all depends on if hubby and I go alone or bring our kids.:cool:

MonorailMan
04-25-2002, 01:28 PM
This had been talked about before! :eek:

Check this thread. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5310&)

kranders
04-25-2002, 01:45 PM
Thanks!!!
I'm new here and didn't think of doing a search! I'm just trying to get an idea of how often people with extended drives get to DL as I'm thinking of getting that AP. I definately think that I would use it at least 4-5 times a year! It had been over 7 years since my last visit but I had such a good time I'm committed(or should be) to not letting that happen again!!

MammaSilva
04-25-2002, 01:49 PM
If you make two trips that average at least 3 days into the parks each then the AP is totally worth the money, you saved on entrance fees, and the discounts and stuff that come with the premium make it worth it too....

redrhino
04-25-2002, 03:15 PM
Ken,

I live in San Luis ... about 30 minutes North, but our drive is also about 4 hours if it is daytime ... or, if we are leaving DLR about 9:30pm, we get home by 1am.

Our family has twice done the SoCal AP thing, two years ago and this year. Two years back we managed to make it to the park about 10 or 12 days total. This time we've managed 8 days so far.

Without little kids one can always just get up really early on Sunday, drive down, stay until 8pm or so and get home just past midnight. That gets old, but saves some money on hotels.

For trips where we know we need to go and stay overnight we've booked hotels online when we can find a good price. Recently, it seems that we've driven down Saturday, visit the
park(s) on Sunday then visit THE park on Monday, getting back
about midnight. We can typically find a place that averages about $50-$70 per night via expedia.com or travelocity.com.

When we are free to go, but aren't sure whether we can afford to stay overnight, we've used Priceline.com and bid LOW ... like $30 per night. This last weekend we stayed at the Travelodge International (2060 Harbor) Sat and Sun evening for $75.00 total, including tax.

Honestly, at the distance you and I live, driving costs are a big factor also. I estimate our fuel costs at about $40 and
wear-n-tear is maybe three times that.

Between hotel ($75 for last trip), travel costs ($150) and food (2 days at $50 per day plus $25 for car snacks) each trip runs our family about $350.

On the other hand, just eating out twice for our family would run $70 ... and we tend to drive other places if we aren't heading to DLR and we do tend to eat snacks on the weekend, so the cost for the trip may only be $200-$250 above what we would be spending if we were doing something else.

Hope this helps ....

downingfamily1
04-25-2002, 04:13 PM
I am getting an annual pass for the first time this year. My family lives in Southern Oregon, about 10-12 hours away, so usually we just get a package. This year my husband and I are spending a week in June for our anniversary. With annual passes we got really good rates at the Grand Californian that made it worthwhile. We are also planning to take the kids in March of next year so we will get two trips out of the passes.
-Julie

Lani
04-25-2002, 05:09 PM
Oakland, CA (which for non-Californians is across the bay from San Francisco, one bridgespan away on the east side of the bay) -- roughly 7 hours.

socabch
04-26-2002, 06:44 AM
It's takes me about 70 to 80 mins. to get there. Sometimes we spend the night. Depending on what other plans we have. Usually we drive home but we leave right after the fireworks.

kranders
04-26-2002, 06:49 AM
Thanks for all the replies, especially redrhino :) This was the type of input I was looking for. I will definately get an AP. I was going to wait until our next planned trip in October but I'm thinking of getting them as soon as I can afford it so that if I get the urge to spend a day at DL I can.
Thanks again.
Ken

80S ERA
04-26-2002, 08:41 AM
About 8 miles....:cool:

*rubbing it in*

And I still have stayed the night on-site several times!

Lani
04-26-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by redrhino
Honestly, at the distance you and I live, driving costs are a big factor also. I estimate our fuel costs at about $40 and
wear-n-tear is maybe three times that.I realize this is somewhat off-topic, but since redrhino brought it up, *our* gas mileage, round trip from the Bay Area, will probably cap at less than 18 gallons now since we bought a new hybrid car. :D And believe it or not, *driving down to DL* was one of our considerations when we decided to buy the 50mpg car.

Rallymonkey23
04-26-2002, 10:09 AM
We live in the high desert about 80 miles away from DL. Alot of times we would just go down for the day and leave after the fireworks. But thats going to change soon since we are planning to move down to the Anaheim area to be closer to family. The last few times we have been there we stayed at my parents house which is about 1/2 mile away from Knotts Berry Farm. :)

cstephens
04-26-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by lani
I realize this is somewhat off-topic, but since redrhino brought it up, *our* gas mileage, round trip from the Bay Area, will probably cap at less than 18 gallons now since we bought a new hybrid car. :D And believe it or not, *driving down to DL* was one of our considerations when we decided to buy the 50mpg car.

So as not to continue the off-topicness (yeah, I'm making up a word), I'm gonna start a thread in the lounge to respond to this post.

/cs

bluepearl
04-26-2002, 11:05 AM
I come from either Riverside or the San Fernando Valley. It takes me an average hour to get to DLR from Riverside (I live a few miles past the city), and it takes me 40-50 minutes from the Valley.

MickeyD
04-26-2002, 12:15 PM
I know an AP holder who is moving to Santa Maria in July. It will be interesting to me to see how often he goes after he moves.

Jason Reynolds
04-26-2002, 02:22 PM
Thank you for noticing that we have discussed this topic before Monorail Man!

hbquikcomjamesl
04-26-2002, 02:31 PM
About a dozen miles.

Traci
04-26-2002, 02:50 PM
I live about 45 minutes from DLR and have an AP. But, just to fill you in...I have a friend who lives in Denver, CO and she has an AP. She feels its still worth it if they are going to come down and stay for at least 3 or more days.

I also have friends who have AP's and they live in Phoenix, AZ. So I guess it just depends on if you think it's worth it.

Disneyland makes no money off of me when it comes to parking and entry costs. They do however makes tons of money off of me when it comes to shopping cause I just can't seem to get out of World of Disney for under $100 in spending each time I go. :D

MonorailMan
04-26-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Traci

Disneyland makes no money off of me when it comes to parking and entry costs. They do however makes tons of money off of me when it comes to shopping cause I just can't seem to get out of World of Disney for under $100 in spending each time I go. :D

They useally get me for abot 20 a time, we plan to go 12 times, thats $240!!! ;)

BELLEH5
04-26-2002, 04:34 PM
I live in Sacramento,CA about 417 miles to DL and 5.5 hours in the Car. I try to go atleast twice every 2 months now since I just got my AP**

Rallymonkey23
04-26-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Traci
I live about 45 minutes from DLR and have an AP. But, just to fill you in...I have a friend who lives in Denver, CO and she has an AP. She feels its still worth it if they are going to come down and stay for at least 3 or more days.
I also have friends who have AP's and they live in Phoenix, AZ. So I guess it just depends on if you think it's worth it.

I always wondered if people bought AP's that live far away from the resort. My opinion on that is, if I were to live far away and planned on going for 3 or more days, I would buy an AP.

Talk about a great souviner(sp?) to take home and show all your friends!!

[Moderator's note: vB code fixed around quoted material. -- Lani]

mikala
05-02-2002, 05:59 PM
We go about 6-8 times a year. Our trips are 3 day minimum. We normally stay in DLR or Crowne Plaza. We make a great trip everytime. I have a great husband (who, while he loves Disney & Resort is not a fanatic like me, but always makes it perfect), and also we add stuff in for him and me. Like trips to Baseball (Dodgers or Angels, or Hockey games, or even leisure time at ESPN Zone (our fave).

We live in Las Vegas, and normally drive.

Oh, yeah-about 90% of the time we bring 4 others with us (Group thing, ya know).

Matterhorn Fan
05-02-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
I always wondered if people bought AP's that live far away from the resort. My opinion on that is, if I were to live far away and planned on going for 3 or more days, I would buy an AP. I have an AP. I currently live on the east coast.