PDA

View Full Version : Planning a trip to Disneyland... need help on hotels

astisma
06-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi all. My family is planning a trip to DL. I have looked all kinds of reviews on the hotels off the park. Now I cant decide which hotel is good. :confused: All their websites show their hotels as being in really great condition. There are 6 of us in our party. I really do want a hotel right across the street from the main entrance. Has anyone stayed in the Best Western Park Place Inn, the Castle Inn or Carousel Inn. I would love to stay on the park but that would just cost to much for our large family.

Also...is it best to buy the Southern City pass?

Any recommendations are welcome!:) ;)

stan4d_steph
06-07-2006, 10:40 AM
If you do a search on those hotel names, you will find many threads here in this forum. Did you also look at the MousePlanet User Reviews database? Click on the link above under the logo.

astisma
06-07-2006, 10:45 AM
No i didnt.. i sure will tho thank you!

AngelBear
06-07-2006, 11:06 AM
I have stayed at the Carousel a few times and would highly recommend it. Rooftop pool, great view from the breakfast room (which is open all day I believe, so you can watch the fireworks even on those days you're not in the park), nice staff, clean. And the room we had most recently was right next to the elevator, and was still very quiet.

The Tropicana (I think) that's right next to it is also very nice.

bradk
06-07-2006, 11:16 AM
the castle is actually further down the road than need be. i think it's cute on the outside but i've never heard great things about the inside.

i have stayed at the carousel and tropicana and have nothing bad to say about either. and there's a lengthy recent post on park place inn which is pretty much glowing.

candy cane inn is also beloved around here.

in any case, you want to be careful as 'across the street of disneyland' most often means it's across the street from the property, but you may have to walk the length of one park just to get to the entrance which is between the two parks.

park place inn is pretty much directly across the street from the pedestrian gates. tropicana is next to PPI and carousel is next to tropicana.

astisma
06-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Thank you very much...I will check into the BW PPI and Carousel....I want our week stay to be nice!

We are also thinking about getting the Southern City Pass...is that a good deal?

bradk
06-07-2006, 11:44 AM
could be if you make the most of it and were planning on buying 3 day tickets for disneyland. purchase it through costco.com though. it's about $20 cheaper than getting it anywhere else.

Benihodge
06-07-2006, 11:58 AM
I've stayed at the Coast Hotel, Desert Palm Hotel, Super 8 and Howard Johnson hotel.

My favorite hotel so far was the Coast Hotel and in July I'll be staying at the Hilton thats next to the Coast Hotel and the Anaheim Convention Center.

The walk from the Coast Hotel, Desert Palm and Super 8 to the DisneyLand main entrance was about ten minutes and less than five minute walk from the Howard Johnson Hotel.

writerevie
06-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Also try this site: www.tripadvisor.com. There are many reviews from actual travelers on there, so you can make your decision with as much info as possible.

littlebugg
06-07-2006, 12:40 PM
I use trip advisor often as they are fairly popular so you get a lot of reviews to look through.

We recently stayed at the Camelot Inn, formerly Park Inn...and we were pleased with our two room suite, enough room for 8 people to sleep. It's on Harbor Blvd., a bit closer than Hojo's. We were about a 3 min. walk from the crosswalk.

Carousel Inn, Best Western Park Place Inn, Tropicana Inn, Park Vue Inn, all these are right across the street if I remember correctly, and there were a few more. Any address close to these on Harbor(I think the 1500 block)would also be "at the crosswalk", don't be fooled by "across the street" because as mentioned before its not always near the gate entrance.

Some of these places were under renovation which seemed dusty and noisy so I might call the motel directly to inquire about any current construction also.

Have a Fun Trip!!!

DianeM
06-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Best Western Park Place Inn and Mini Suites is nice, as close as you can get to the crosswalk, and not too pricey. Their free breakfast is not great. Castle Inn isn't that close to the park. It's quite a long walk after a long day at the park, but they do have a shuttle. I stayed there some years back, and don't recall any problems. I'm not familiar with the Carousel. The Del Sol is also very close, and very cheap. And I do mean "cheap", not "inexpensive", although the beds were very comfortable and the only noise problems we had (some have complained of thin walls) were when parents let kids run screaming on the balcony before the park opened (that is common at DL). Little things, like having to ask at the front desk for coffee refills and not having enough parking spaces, were annoying. I didn't eat their free breakfast, but my mother said it was fine. A lot of people like Howard Johnsons, which is pretty close to the park, but I stayed there a few years ago and wasn't impressed. It took us 3 tries to get a decent room. The first stank of stale cigarette smoke, even though it was supposed to be non-smoking, I forget what was wrong with the second, but it was a room malfunction of some type. The hot tub was out of order when we visited. But others have had much better experiences with them, so ours might have been an aberration.

Hi all. My family is planning a trip to DL. I have looked all kinds of reviews on the hotels off the park. Now I cant decide which hotel is good. :confused: All their websites show their hotels as being in really great condition. There are 6 of us in our party. I really do want a hotel right across the street from the main entrance. Has anyone stayed in the Best Western Park Place Inn, the Castle Inn or Carousel Inn. I would love to stay on the park but that would just cost to much for our large family.

Also...is it best to buy the Southern City pass?

Any recommendations are welcome!:) ;)

PirateSmile
06-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Out of the hotels you mentioned, I like Carousel Inn the best. I haven't been in the Castle Inn, though. My favorite of all the Good Neighbor's is the Candy Cane.

Carousel Inn: Comfy rooms, rooftop pool, contintal breakfast, clean.

Best Western PP: Comfy beds, continental breakfast over at Captain Kidds (the resteraunt next door), clean rooms, but just a bit dark.

Candy Cane Inn: The rooms are cute and comfortable, continental breakfast, clean.

I've also stayed at the Annabella. It's really nice, but pretty far from the park.

rentayenta
06-07-2006, 02:05 PM
I have stayed at the Coast Anaheim and it's a pit.

I have stayed at the HoJo and liked it a lot.

Alisonsmom
06-07-2006, 02:38 PM
I stayed at Best Western PP last Feb. The room was just OK. Good for price and location. The breakfast was small and not much to eat. It was an OK trip until check out. We checked out at 5AM and the front desk clerk was extrememly unkept and very rude. I asked when I checked in if I could use two cards to pay and they said yes when I check out. The morning clerk refused to allow me to. I have never had a problem with that at any hotel/motel before. Next trip I am trying Desert Inn and suites.

AngelBear
06-07-2006, 10:38 PM
You can see pictures of the hotels here - DLResortInfo (http://www.dlresortinfo.com/) The pictures are taken by guests, not the hotels, so in my opinion it's more accurate. Hotels will only use the "nice" looking pictures.

Oh, and on most travel sites, the Carousel is the only 4-star hotel for a 3-star price.

darph nader
06-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Just for 'grins & giggles', try Park Inn/Camelot.Right across the street. The only caveut(sp?) is that they are going through a "6"month reno. Started in Feb. thru Nov. Now I'm only a high skool gradgeate,but that's 'wrong' I think.:confused: Nice place though.:cool:

wingsong
06-08-2006, 05:52 PM
We stayed at the Best Western Park Place Inn in December. Really liked it, especially enjoyed the proximity to Disney, and having a microwave. We're staying there again in August.

nvmom
06-09-2006, 07:44 PM
We stayed at the Park Inn- now the Camelot this past March. 2 adults and 4 children. It isn't fancy by any means but we were very happy and would stay again. We had a 2 rooms suite that was very spacious. We were in a room that had not yet been renovated. While the furniture and carpet were worn, it was very clean. The walk was great... quite short.

We've also stayed at the Desert Palms. They have some good size family suites. We weren't unhappy there but the walk was a lot longer at the end of the day.

nvmom

I Heart Disneyland!
06-09-2006, 10:23 PM
We always stay at Homewood Suites. They are 3 miles from DL and have a shuttle (which is I believe $3.00 a day...well worth it). They are a two room suite, bedroom and living room with a sleeper sofa. They also have a kitchen that is outfitted with silverware, plates, cups, etc. A microwave, full size fridge and 2 burners. They also have free breakfast in the a.m. We only paid $129 last time we were there, per night.