PDA

View Full Version : How much Time to budget for meals in the parks during July/August crowds?

FunMom
06-06-2006, 09:31 PM
We're wanting to maximize our time in the park and be sure to have a few hours hotel break in the afternoon, so ....

Regarding visiting in July or August, if I make PS for Carnation Cafe and Wine Country Trattoria, how much time should we budget to be seated, served and eat without lingering?

If we plan to have lunch at Taste Pilot's Grill at 12:15 or earlier, is there usually a long line to be seated? Are they quick in serving meals?

If we do a quick on the go lunch of corn dogs or Award Weiners, do they have backed up lines that should have time budgeted for?

Any suggestions for places to grab a quick (and tasty) lunch in DL within the 11:30 - 12:30 time frame? On one day we'll be with friends who won't have a hopper into DCA.

Thanks for your replies!

cfitz/pirates
06-07-2006, 08:17 AM
You are planning on having lunch at the bussiest time of day 11:30-12:00 there will be long lines it will be best to have a snack and wait alittle closer to 2:00. If you need to at that time have someone in your party grabb the first available table while the other orders.

Good luck and have a great vacation:)

06-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Do yourself a real favor and eat lunch at 11:00-11:30.

Mommy2NicknMax
06-07-2006, 08:30 AM
I agree with the other posters, eat earlier or later. Right at lunch time you can expect longer lines and wait times.

Also maybe someone can chime in on wait times at Whitewater Snacks during the lunch hour. That place usually seems empty to me but I've never been in July or August. For the original poster, if you've never been to Whitewater Snacks, it's located in the Grand Californian near the pool. The food there is really good!

jcruise86
06-07-2006, 08:33 AM
While I probably can't stop you from going in July and August, at least avoid Saturdays and Sundays, and--if possible--Fridays and Mondays. I worked there before these 50th Anniversary crowds, and since then I've devoted my life to talking people out of going on July and August weekends. It was shoulder-to-shoulder back then and it's even more miserable now.

The old man
06-07-2006, 09:04 AM
We like to eat early around 11am to avoid waits. This is easy since we eat a light breakfast around 7am. We used to like the Hungry Bear in DL though I think it's gone downhill under Dixie's "sponsorship."
David

FunMom
06-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks for your feedback! I thought 11:30 was early, so your suggestions to eat at 11am or at 2pm are helpful.

We are going on 4 weekdays (Tues, Wed, or Thurs) over a 10 day period. I have made a Noon PS at the Trattoria. Being that we have the PS, will we be OK? Is 1 hour enough time to eat?

I had this impression that people think the ambiance and nmenu choices are better in DL vs. DCA, and therefore there are minimal lines for food at DCA. Any comment on that?

The old man
06-07-2006, 11:26 AM
...I had this impression that people think the ambiance and nmenu choices are better in DL vs. DCA, and therefore there are minimal lines for food at DCA. Any comment on that?
The nonreservation food spots in DCA usually have very long lines. At least that's what I've found. There's a Mexican joint in the center where I've waited on average 20 minutes to place my order. (I don't go there anymore.) The bad hot dog place in the Hollywood section is always busy and slow.
David

rentayenta
06-07-2006, 12:14 PM
If we plan to have lunch at Taste Pilot's Grill at 12:15 or earlier, is there usually a long line to be seated? Are they quick in serving meals?

If we do a quick on the go lunch of corn dogs or Award Weiners, do they have backed up lines that should have time budgeted for?

Thanks for your replies!

As far as Taste Pilot's goes they are painfully slow and equally as crowded. The food is good though. Like 3894 suggested eat earlier or even later but not at the usual lunchtime.

Award Weiners isn't as slow but seating is limited so grab a spot and stay put while someone else gets the food.

CariBelle
06-07-2006, 06:01 PM
I had this impression that people think the ambiance and nmenu choices are better in DL vs. DCA, and therefore there are minimal lines for food at DCA. Any comment on that?

On a Sunday in March we waited 50 minutes in line at the soup in a bread bowl place.

Malcon10t
06-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks for your feedback! I thought 11:30 was early, so your suggestions to eat at 11am or at 2pm are helpful.

We are going on 4 weekdays (Tues, Wed, or Thurs) over a 10 day period. I have made a Noon PS at the Trattoria. Being that we have the PS, will we be OK? Is 1 hour enough time to eat?

You might want to remember a PS is basically a "fast pass" for seating. A noon PS means they will try and seat you as soon as possible. I have still waited 20-30 minutes past that for seating. Its not a "reservation" for exactly that time. And at noon, I would probably allow at LEAST an hour.

I don't think I've heard the minimal lines in DCA for food. We like to eat over on "the wharf", and generally we can estimate 20 minutes in line to get food. I do send everyone their own direction (kids prefer bread bowls, I like Mexican.) Pilot's Grill in DCA and Pizza Port in DL can have very long lines at lunch (1130-130p) and dinner time (5-7). We learned a long time ago to eat at weird times. But, I run with 4 teens who will eat when mom opens the wallet. We also don't do many scheduled meals. We do more of the "Anyone hungry? No? Want a whip? Let's keep going..."

PKile
06-08-2006, 05:36 AM
I've been to Taste Pilot's Grill twice, and the line always moved pretty quickly (once you figure out the touch screen system for ordering your food). I will admit that the best thing about this place is the atmosphere - I work in Aerospace and they got the "old rocket test stand" feel down just right.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with previous posters - the worst thing is the food - overdone dry hamburgers and tasteless fries. Carnation Plaza has this place beat hands down.

Cheers,
Paul Kile

wingsong
06-08-2006, 05:49 PM
We must have gone to Taste Pilots on a really really really off evening last December because our food was pretty awful (and I've read the good reviews) . . . maybe they were training someone because our adult food was lukewarm at best, and we literally couldn't finish it, not because of quantity but because it just wasn't good . . .I think my younger son liked his child's meal though.