PDA

View Full Version : Going to Disneyland in 6 weeks! Questions

DuffMan
06-06-2006, 09:37 AM
A semi-spontaneous road trip is now in the works for myself and the wife. I've been to DL nearly 20 times but this is my first trip where I have near-total, despot-like control over what we do and when. :~D

The exact dates aren't pinned down yet, but it looks like we'll do 1 or 2 days somewhere between July 16th and July 21st or so. We intend to ignore the California Adventure. Since I haven't been to DL since '97, I have some general questions:

1)
Without giving me too many spoilers, how mad should I be about the "major refurbishments" to POTC if I am (a) something of a traditionalist, (b) only slightly a fan of the movie, and (c) and it had been my favorite ride of all time? Are they keeping *some* of the original elements, *most* of them, or just sticking in the occasional (forgiveable) Jack Sparrow cameo?

2)
The wife is a vegan. I plan to pick up a helpful guidebook (we did so for our WDW trip and it helped immensely), but any specific hints y'all can provide would be fantastic.

3)
How does "shuttle mode" for the Monorail work? It's one of my favorite attractions and I love riding it just for the sake of riding it, but this makes it sound like we'd have to stay at DLH (which I'm reluctant to do for $ reasons) in order for there to be any point.

4)
We used FastPass for the big boys at WDW, like Space Mountain, and it was a godsend. Is it not as necessary at DL? Is that why Star Tours is losing it?

5)
We will have a (rental) car. Anything I need to know about parking at the park -- in particular, changes since the pre-CA days?

I can't think of anything else to ask for now.....

Vegitabeta
06-06-2006, 09:50 AM
3)How does "shuttle mode" for the Monorail work? It's one of my favorite attractions and I love riding it just for the sake of riding it, but this makes it sound like we'd have to stay at DLH (which I'm reluctant to do for $ reasons) in order for there to be any point.

4)
We used FastPass for the big boys at WDW, like Space Mountain, and it was a godsend. Is it not as necessary at DL? Is that why Star Tours is losing it?

These are the only questions I can really answer.

The shuttle mode on the monorail means that it is only doing one way trips...until the new Nemo ride opens in 2007, or so I've heard.

We used Fastpasses for a lot of things in DL, just like we did in WDW. So basically, they are necessary for popular attractions such as Splash and Space Mountain, also a few of the smaller rides. I think Star Tours lost the FP because it just didn't need them. I know that every time I've been in there's been little to no line at all.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your trip!:)

bradk
06-06-2006, 09:58 AM
actually, later this year, the monorail should be shutting down altogether.

just to clarify on that, normally the monorail goes on a loop and most of the time, they don't require people to exit the monorail at each station. the stations are now terminals and it's mandatory to exit at each end and basically it's only using a segment of the track (runs through the GCH and DCA and along Harbor) and when it reaches each end, it reverses itself, so sometimes the tail end acts as the head.

and it's true with the FPs. it really depends on the season/day of week. when I was there in May, during the week, Space Mountain was a literal walk on at 2 PM (it was busier at 10 am, but not much). I think Star Tours rarely goes above 20 minutes. It's marginally more popular in WDW in my experience. Pooh is also far less popular (and far less entertaining) at DLR than WDW, but that might be going on to another topic.

the biggies to worry about are the non-FP enabled ones. namely Peter Pan in DL and Monsters, Inc. in DCA.

DuffMan
06-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Oo, Peter Pan -- gotta hit that one. I'm gonna shoot for a middle-of-the-week visit to cut down on crowds.

No line for Star Tours? :eek: This is new. IIRC there was a pretty sizable line when we went in '97. Of course, I think that was during the holidays.

Is Downtown Disney worth the visit? I mean, as long as I'm going to insist on taking the Monorail...

Another question:
Just how far in advance would I have to reserve a hotel room if I want a hotel within walking distance of DL? (So as to avoid parking at the park itself.)

Vegitabeta
06-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Oo, Peter Pan -- gotta hit that one. I'm gonna shoot for a middle-of-the-week visit to cut down on crowds.

No line for Star Tours? :eek: This is new. IIRC there was a pretty sizable line when we went in '97. Of course, I think that was during the holidays.

Is Downtown Disney worth the visit? I mean, as long as I'm going to insist on taking the Monorail...

Another question:
Just how far in advance would I have to reserve a hotel room if I want a hotel within walking distance of DL? (So as to avoid parking at the park itself.)
I think that DTD is worth the visit, at least for the World of Disney store!

bradk
06-06-2006, 10:21 AM
For July? I'd book a hotel ASAP. Depending on who you book it through, you may not even have to pay anything, so better to have a reservation with a locked in rate now than watch occupancy and rates skyrocket. I probably would have done this in April myself for a July trip.

Just avoid Fantasyland on EE days (unless of course you're there during EE).

if you've been to WDW, Anaheim's DTD (and WOD store) won't thrill you too much, but there are some nice shops there. but if you have the time, you won't regret lingering around for a bit. and the GCH is probably worth a visit (there's an entrance by Libby Lu)

tinksmom
06-06-2006, 10:24 AM
You might want to double think ignoring DCA: Grizzly River Rapids is my favorite ride, and Soaring, and from what I hear, Tower of Terror, are great, too. I think its worth an afternoon.

You can get menus at www.dlresortinfo.com

You definately want fastpasses in the summer, especially for Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Indiana Jones.

If you want to ride Peter Pan on a weekday, the best day is Wednesday. There is early entry (which you wont be eligible for on a two day one park pass) on Mon, Tues, and Thursday, which means the PP line will stretch to Laguna Beach by the time the gates open to non EE guests.

Niwel
06-06-2006, 10:34 AM
5)We will have a (rental) car. Anything I need to know about parking at the park -- in particular, changes since the pre-CA days?

The parking structure is very large and the elevators and escalators are all at the Southeast end. If you get there early enough on a weekend, they will likely park you outside and you just cross over to the tram stop. The trams run fairly frequently. If you park and leave -- save your ticket. :)

Frogberto
06-06-2006, 11:39 AM
1) Without giving me too many spoilers, how mad should I be about the "major refurbishments" to POTC if I am (a) something of a traditionalist, (b) only slightly a fan of the movie, and (c) and it had been my favorite ride of all time? Are they keeping *some* of the original elements, *most* of them, or just sticking in the occasional (forgiveable) Jack Sparrow cameo?

Congratulations on your trip! I think I can answer all of your questions, starting with this one. "How mad should you be" is always difficult, since I don't know your breaking points, but from what we've all heard (and none of us have actually seen the attraction changes yet), the changes are mainly cameos. You may be pleased by the upgrades to the audio system, which should make the ride more immersive and sound much more clear.

2) The wife is a vegan. I plan to pick up a helpful guidebook (we did so for our WDW trip and it helped immensely), but any specific hints y'all can provide would be fantastic.

You should have no problems finding vegan options in the parks and nearby. The unofficial guide mentions that you can get a listing of restaurants and menu options for any dietary needs at City Hall upon entering the park. Many menus are also available online so that you can pre-plan your eating options and preferences.

3) How does "shuttle mode" for the Monorail work? It's one of my favorite attractions and I love riding it just for the sake of riding it, but this makes it sound like we'd have to stay at DLH (which I'm reluctant to do for $ reasons) in order for there to be any point.

Shuttle mode, or one way travel, for the monorail, means that the monorail goes from the Downtown Disney station, to Tomorrowland, everyone gets off, and then it takes passengers from Tomorrowland, to the downtown Disney station, and then drops everyone off again. You do not have to stay at the Disneyland Hotel, and the monorail is really a good way to get to dining options where you will get more for your money than you would in the park.

4) We used FastPass for the big boys at WDW, like Space Mountain, and it was a godsend. Is it not as necessary at DL? Is that why Star Tours is losing it?

Fastpass is a godsend, and will be for you especially, since you're travelling during a very heavy time of the year for attendance. I think you'll be shocked at how crowded Disneyland is compared to the last time you visited, and lines are much longer. Fastpass will save you a lot of time.

Star Tours has suffered declining attendance, and there's generally not a long line for it these days, which is part of the reason why it's been removed. With the new attraction, Buzz Lightyear, which is right across from Star Tours, as well as fastpass for Space Mountain, and Autopia, Tomorrowland was very "fastpass heavy".

5) We will have a (rental) car. Anything I need to know about parking at the park -- in particular, changes since the pre-CA days?

Part of the old parking lot is still there - it's called the Lion King parking lot. Across the street from Harbor is the Timon parking lot, the only "park and walk" lot (no tram). Most people park in the Mickey and Friends parking structure, a huge parking lot constructed BEHIND Disneyland. Parking is $10.00, at any of the locations, and is very easy to get into and take a tram to the front gates.

Let me ask you to reconsider your decision not to visit Downtown Disney or California Adventure. I think you'll find things you will be amazed at, and will actually like, in both locations. During July, it will be easier, and cheaper, to get good food in Downtown Disney, and California Adventure is easier to navigate, and has some attractions, like "Soarin'", and the "Aladdin" theater show, and California Screamin', as well as Grizzly River Rapids and some of the atmosphere in the park, that actually gives what is in Disney a run for its money.

Best of luck for your trip!

Another Dimension
06-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Not to miss attractions at DCA, on any infrequent (or 1st timer) trip to the Resort...

California Screamin'
Soarin' over California
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Disney Animation
Grizzly River Run
Aladdin
Monsters Inc.

If you have extra time or DL is a madhouse, park hop and check out...
It's Tough to Be a Bug 3D
Block Party Bash
Muppetvision 3D
The Sunwheel

:D

erinzgirl
06-06-2006, 01:03 PM
I don't mean to turn this into a discussion about the Monorail but I have questions!!! Somewhere in the far recesses of my mind I thought that you could take the monorail from the Disneyland Hotel to Disneyland. Is that true under normal operating conditions? And if that is true, will the shuttle mode affect that? And as an add-on question what’s the policy regarding strollers (I swear I’m not obsessed with strollers, just inexperienced) on the monorail. Many thanks. And DuffMan, have a GREAT trip! I second the posters who said not to count out DCA!

bradk
06-06-2006, 01:38 PM
there are only two stations on the monorail: DTD and Tomorrowland. Before DTD, the DLH property itself was closer to the station, but it was all eliminated in favor of DTD. So technically it hasn't moved, but you half to walk a small portion through DTD from DLH to get to the monorail.

erinzgirl
06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
there are only two stations on the monorail: DTD and Tomorrowland. Before DTD, the DLH property itself was closer to the station, but it was all eliminated in favor of DTD. So technically it hasn't moved, but you half to walk a small portion through DTD from DLH to get to the monorail.

Aha! Very good to know! Much thanks:fez:

jcruise86
06-07-2006, 08:26 AM
"2) The wife is a vegan. . .any specific hints y'all can provide would be fantastic."

When my wife and I were at WDW we had our best meal experiences when we ate at sit-down restaurants and told the waiter about my wife's Vegan needs. Once the chef (at Spooners near the Boardwalk) prepared a beautiful Vegan plate, and at the Wilderness Lodge the young chef came out to meet us and was really excited by the challenge. He cooked up an excellent tofu, veggie, and fruit meal for my wife and then charged us less than the other entrees! At Disneyland I can't help you, but please report back to us with what you learn. The Downtown Disney restaurants that are part of the Patina (?) group would probably be great, and if the other Mouseplaneteers are correct, going across the street to Mimi's in HoJo's would be worthwhile.

DuffMan
06-14-2006, 12:52 PM
When my wife and I were at WDW we had our best meal experiences when we ate at sit-down restaurants and told the waiter about my wife's Vegan needs.
I had a similar experience at WDW. I also called ahead and talked to one or two chefs weeks in advance. In some cases she was more satisfied with her meal than we were with ours. I think she enjoyed the eating more than anything else on the trip :D , which is rare for vegans.

More questions:
- How do I determine whether there's early entry on either day I'm visiting? Also, do we have to do/buy anything special to get in early, or do we simply show up at the appointed time?

- Since we got the 2-day parkhopper pass, we will indeed be spending a small amount of time at DCA, and we will hit ToT and Soarin' at the very least. My question is about the Grizzly river ride thing. In what ways does it differ from your standard Six Flags river raft ride? Also, would you say it gets you wetter than Splash Mountain?

- Does DCA still have that soap-opera-themed restaurant? Anybody been there? Thoughts/reactions? (Is it sit-down, buffet-style...?) My wife used to watch some ABC soaps.

bradk
06-14-2006, 01:05 PM
How do I determine whether there's early entry on either day I'm visiting? Also, do we have to do/buy anything special to get in early, or do we simply show up at the appointed time?

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Unless you're staying at one of the Disney resorts, you'll need a park hopper bonus ticket which has a minimum of 3 days. unless you're willing to pay the cost to upgrade, EE may not be an option for you.

Since we got the 2-day parkhopper pass, we will indeed be spending a small amount of time at DCA, and we will hit ToT and Soarin' at the very least. My question is about the Grizzly river ride thing. In what ways does it differ from your standard Six Flags river raft ride? Also, would you say it gets you wetter than Splash Mountain?

How it differs... it's probably actually more tame. It's a long ride, good for what it is. From a technical perspective, it has different modes where during summer hours it has additional water being sprayed that you won't find in less hot weather.

Does DCA still have that soap-opera-themed restaurant? Anybody been there? Thoughts/reactions? (Is it sit-down, buffet-style...?) My wife used to watch some ABC soaps.

sorry to say it does not.

Smeecanada
06-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Another question:

We're heading down the same time as you. I booked us a room last week (spur of the moment trip for us as well - minus the kids) at BW Park Place and the dates we needed were not showing up on the internet. I phoned the 1-800-854-8175 ext.4 number and had no problem booking us a room with a kingsize bed. I commented about not being able to get a room on the net and she said once they get to a certain capacity they block out dates. So, if you cann't find a room on the net for the hotel you want try the 1-800 number. You might get lucky.

only 32 days to go and we're in DL

Smeecanada
06-14-2006, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=Another Dimension]Not to miss attractions at DCA, on any infrequent (or 1st timer) trip to the Resort...

You missed out :

Turtle Talk with Crush
Main Street Electrical Parade

Smeecanada
06-14-2006, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=DuffMan]
. My question is about the Grizzly river ride thing. In what ways does it differ from your standard Six Flags river raft ride? Also, would you say it gets you wetter than Splash Mountain?

Haven't been to Six Flags so cann't compare for you. But the saying "dry is not an option" is definitely true. And yes, you WILL get wetter than Splash Mountain. It's not you may get wet, it's you WILL get wet. There is a little free locker by GGRR for putting your valuables in.

DuffMan
06-14-2006, 02:34 PM
So, if you cann't find a room on the net for the hotel you want try the 1-800 number. You might get lucky.
We did -- our friends at AAA scored us a room, at BW PP as a matter of fact. It was far easier than finding a place to stay around Mt. St. Helens on the weekend :eek:

Another question:
- I haven't seen "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience" -- is it as good as or better than the Donald Duck 3D movie in WDW's Fantasyland (I forget the name)?

charpaul
06-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Honey I Shrunk the Audience is the same movie that they have at Epcot - in the Imagination Building I believe???? (Where Figment is...)

In my opinion - the Philharmagic movie experience with Donald is FAR superior to HISTA. If you have never seen HISTA by all means give it a try. You can at least cool off on a hot day in the theater for a while. It is a good attraction, but not great - and I feel that it is extremely dated. That series of movies is at least 15 years old by now......

carolyn
06-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Does DCA still have that soap-opera-themed restaurant? Anybody been there? Thoughts/reactions? (Is it sit-down, buffet-style...?) My wife used to watch some ABC soaps.

sorry to say it does not.

I'm sorry to say that too. I loved the steak sandwich and chocolate cake they had there. Yum!