PDA

View Full Version : Liar's Dice @ Disneyland

drjones
06-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Just curious, but I was wondering if anyone has seen the new Pirates stuff in DL. I am looking for the Pirate's Dice game (Known as Liar's Dice in the movie). I've seen it posted here: http://www.keeptothecode.com/2006/04/disneyland-unveils-new-pirates-of.html
I want to know if it is out yet, and how much it costs.

Thanks

Gone2Disneyland
06-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Just curious, but I was wondering if anyone has seen the new Pirates stuff in DL. I am looking for the Pirate's Dice game (Known as Liar's Dice in the movie). I've seen it posted here: http://www.keeptothecode.com/2006/04/disneyland-unveils-new-pirates-of.html
I want to know if it is out yet, and how much it costs.

Thanks
I saw it at Toys'R'Us over the weekend on a random trip there. Didn't catch the price tho', but I'd guess somewhere in the $10-$12 range..? The box is around 10" square.

AVP
06-06-2006, 06:31 AM
Liar's Dice is being made by the same company that makes the Disney-theme Monopoly, dominoes, checkers, chess and card games. I didn't know it had already shipped - we got our Monopoly games two weeks ago, and they said the Dice game was delayed a bit. I hope this means we're getting ours soon.

AVP

hbquikcomjamesl
06-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Liar's Dice (and its first cousin, Liar's Poker, which is played with currency serial numbers) has been around for a very long time.

AVP
06-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Liar's Dice (and its first cousin, Liar's Poker, which is played with currency serial numbers) has been around for a very long time.My error. I should have said that the Liar's Dice: Disney's® Pirates of the Caribbean® edition is being made by the same company that makes the Disney-theme Monopoly, dominoes, checkers, chess and card games, and has not shipped to all retailers. :rolleyes:

AVP

Gone2Disneyland
06-06-2006, 10:06 AM
On a related note, I also saw that they issued The Game of Life: Pirates of the Caribbean-Dead Man's Curse edition during my Toys r' Us visit. Coincidentally I finally broke in my Theme Park Edition of TGoL:PotC, the one in the tin I got as a gift, recently with friends. Playing it, the messages in each of the spaces were a little hard to read. In the new version it looks like they've made the messages a lot clearer to read. That, and they've got photos and character references from the new movie. Still enjoy my tin version, but a little envious of the movie references on the new version.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
No offense was intended. My real point was that it just seems like marketing Liar's Dice is kind of in the same vein as marketing Cribbage. You can market Cribbage boards, and maybe even get a design patent on some novel variation on the idea (for years, we've had them in the shape of "29," the point value of a perfect hand; why not "19," the traditional term for a worthless hand [because it's one of several numbers that are mathematically impossible for a properly-counted hand to add up to]), but you can't sell the game itself, because it's been in the public domain for a couple of centuries. Likewise, you can sell equipment for Liar's Dice, but the game itself belongs to everybody.

RStar
06-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Is Lair's Dice played like Yahtzee? I've never heard of it before.

~Bob

Added note: I found this: "Said to have been passed down by the ancient Incas, Liar's Dice is a game of bluffing and chance. Each player attempts to out-bid, out-bluff and out-last their opponent by issuing bids or challenges."

And :"Liar's Dice / Call My Bluff
One of my favorite games, Liar's Dice (also known as Call My Bluff or just Bluff) goes in and out of print. Each player rolls five dice and keeps the result secret from other players. They then take turns bidding on the total results. (e.g. "There are seven 4s." or "I say there are nine 2s.") Great fun with good friends."

And as seen here it has also been a drinking/gambling game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar's_dice

~Bob

IFlyAway
06-06-2006, 10:15 PM
As was mentioned earlier, the game now being marketed as PoTC Liars Dice has been around for a very long time in other incarnations. 2 games that I can recall are called Perudo and 3 Blind Dice. Here's a link briefly explaining it -
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/45

Hope this sheds some light

drjones
06-06-2006, 10:32 PM
In the new Pirate's movie the crew of the Flying Dutchman play this game and wager years of servitude to Davy Jones. Will and Bootstrap Bill also engage in this game. It seems fun, based on the novelization, and I would like to have it to play with my family.

I originally wanted to know if anyone has seen it at DL, maybe in the Pieces Of Eight store? I asked this because I saw it on the above link.

P.S.
I just called a local Toys R Us and they do have it in stock and it runs around $20.

Gone2Disneyland
06-07-2006, 06:34 AM
While looking for a new Superman tee-shirt, I saw the PotC dice game at another retail store, Aahs, here in southern California last night. It was $19.99. They also had PotC Monopoly by USAopoly. Seems like if you wait long enough, this Pirates Dice game will be everywhere in addition to WoD and the Disney parks.

drjones
06-10-2006, 09:14 PM
ok, i found Liar's Dice (Pirates Dice) at Toys R Us today, and I am kind of confused.
The packaging is reaaly cool, comes with 4 barnacle encrusted cups and 20 dice, (5 per cup). You wager a bid and the opponent raises or call the bluff.
the problem is, From what i read in the book of the movie, you only wager whats under your cup (3 fives, 5 sixes), but the rules in the game say you guess as to what can be possible under all the cups (9 fours etc.)

has anyone else purchased this game yet? or read the book?

the books version seems a lot more fast paced

and Disney cannot market anything with Liar in the title, so when challenging a bluff, you do not shout out "Liar!", but "never trust a pirate"

AVP
06-11-2006, 02:40 PM
We received them at MouseShoppe last week, and I haven't opened one yet to read the rules, but they've been pretty popular. USAopoloy is expecting them to sell out as soon as the movie is released.

AVP