PDA

View Full Version : sweepstakes

potzbie
06-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Per the Monday news item of DLR, one item was the "50th Anniversary Last Chance Sweepstakes."

I looked at the list of prizes.
I was NOT impressed.
One Grand Prize: Framed Disneyland 50th Commemorative Pressed Penny Collection

Really?
The single, sole, big, Grand Prize is pressed pennies?

Gimme a break.

Is Disney implying that (50 x $0.01 =) fifty cents is what they consider a sweepstakes-level prize?

All I can say is, those pressed pennies better SING and DANCE and STAR IN THEIR OWN CARTOONS to justify THAT kind of "grand prize."
:(

hlbtimes2
06-05-2006, 08:27 AM
I kind of thought that when I saw it on the Disney.com site the other day. While I wouldnt mind having a set, its not really what I would consider a "grand prize".

cfitz/pirates
06-05-2006, 08:31 AM
The contest is only open to US citizens. So us Canucks (Canadians) are not eligable:crying:

littlebugg
06-05-2006, 08:45 AM
I had to double check....*wait, did that say grand prize?*

I assumed the "last chance" in the title implied a last chance for a winner to celebrate the 50th at the Disneyland Resort...like maybe parkhoppers and a few days accomodations? I think that would be a more suitable grand prize...but hey, who am I to complain? Any opportunity for someone to be happy is good in my books.

mulansgirl
06-05-2006, 12:38 PM
I signed up for it I collected all the penneys in the book and display them with my other Disney memorabilia. but would be glad to have a framed set. There are actually fifty one pennies in the set and I also pressed an additional penney to show the "Magical Milestones" imprint on the back. I paid $26.52 for my set not including the book because each penney is .50 to smash and the penney you smash. so .51 cents each. It may not seem like much but I will be excited if I win. I would even be happy to get one of the two disk CD sets. Plus I don't know if they will be taking the 50th pressed penney machines away after they close out the 50 stuff.

maybe since it is so small no one will enter and I will actually win something for the first time. Doubt it.

HTanner
06-05-2006, 04:34 PM
O.K., cruddy prize, but... Free is Free! ;)

darph nader
06-05-2006, 11:16 PM
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!! Heck last year my DD and I hit disney.go for 2 months straight to win a darn near inclusive DLR vaction. We won "ZIP".:mad:.Granted free is free ,but jeez.:eek:

Wendi
06-06-2006, 08:56 AM
I guess I'm in the minority. I would actually like to have that pressed penny set. Hopefully those who don't see it as a worthy prize don't enter the contest and decrease the odds for those who actually would appreciate it.

UsBurchs
06-06-2006, 09:20 AM
I kind of feel the same way as Wendi. I'm a pessed penny collector, so I'd be thrilled with that prize, but I can see where making it the "Grand Prize" seems a little pathetic. An actual piece of hard-to-get Disney memorbilia might have been more well suited as a grand-prize. Something with Walts signature, or whatever.

But, maybe the lack of interest will lead to a win for one of us! :) I always Enter, Enter, Enter but never win a thing.

(I've made a check list of all the pressed pennies I want at Disneyland this weekend and we've actually set aside time on our trip so I can get all my pennies. I keep quarters and new pennies with me at all times just in case I run into a machine, so you can see why the "grand prize" would be well loved by me! I know, I'm a dork. But I'm a DISNEY dork, and that's ok!!) :D

Another Dimension
06-06-2006, 12:20 PM
I guess I'm in the minority. I would actually like to have that pressed penny set. Hopefully those who don't see it as a worthy prize don't enter the contest and decrease the odds for those who actually would appreciate it.

I feel the same way. A contest is a contest, what the contest giver considers as a prize... is what the contest giver sees fit as a prize. Free entrance, free prizes. That's good stuff.
I'm sure Disney is incrediobly sorry they can't give away the Matterhorn as the Grand Prize, but then maybe they think they might be needing it for something after the 50th!

It's like when I give out Disney postcards or keychains or smaller, easy to mail things as free prizes to winners in trivia contests run by my trivia bot in Disney chat.
Free to play, free to win, free prize for the winner.
Anyone who wins and doesn't want the prize... cool.
I'm just happy they played for fun!! :D
I'm sorry... I can't afford to give away the Matterhorn or a car or cruise or a week at the DLR for free either. ;)

But it's obvious Disney didn't give thousands of dollars budget in this contest for prizes. It happens. But free is free. I'd LOVE to win any of those prizes and truthfully.. I hate most pins. The only ones I own were gifts, and I love them... but I won't pay for pins. Free pins are cool. Free prizes are cool.
I'm funny like that.

potzbie
06-06-2006, 12:59 PM
I would actually like to have that pressed penny set.

Well, I'll meet you half-way --- If the giveaway was 50 pressed hundred-dollar bills, then indeed I would not mind at all.
:)

mulansgirl
06-06-2006, 01:56 PM
I think one other thing that would have been cool to add to the prize list is the 50th disney dollar. I would prefer it framed and a complete set one of each bill. but I think they would worry someone would pull the disney dollars out and use them. but then again I really want to take the Disney Doller display they have in front of the cash registers, the small money is just so cute it would look great hanging on my wall. I too am hopeing to win the pressed pennies. I love all mine and have been picking them up since I was smaller and my grandma took me there. I have lost many, and the old ones I have are not shinny but I still love them. My family picks them up on trips for me now, I kinda hate to tell them I really only buy the Disney ones but I love that they think of me on their trips and I think that is the important part of the gift.