PDA

View Full Version : First timer- lots of advice please!

Joe's Dad
06-05-2006, 03:18 AM
Going to DL mid week first week of August. A group of 2 adults/2 kids (11 & 8). Youngest is male who is autistic, not a fan of crowded spaces. What provision is there for such kids ? Where do I go in order to 'register' Joe's special needs ? Any other tips would be appreciated !
We are biting the bullet & want to stay in Grand Californian. Want to get the best deal. Which is the best agency to book through ? Just who are AAA ? Can I book hotel & passes through them if travelling from UK ?
Look forward to your responses.

mom2brent alyssa
06-05-2006, 06:56 AM
I remember hearing somewhere that children with special needs can get a special pass to not wait in lines, but it needs to be signed by a doctor I think.

stan4d_steph
06-05-2006, 07:02 AM
As far as your autistic son, I would recommend checking out our Theme Park Access Guide forum (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16) where you will find many similar threads asking about special-needs children, including children with autism. Disneyland offers a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) that provides accommodations based on individual need. You get it from City Hall on Main Street. Doctor's letters are not used to determine need, however you will need to describe your child's situation to a Cast Member so they can determine what level of GAC, if any, to issue.

AAA = American Autmobile Association. They provide services such as travel assistance, roadside emergency assistance and insurance services. You must be a member to book travel through them. It's possible that there is a similar entity in UK that provides a similar service.

SeansMom
06-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Since I had to call AAA this morning regarding another matter, I asked if somebody from the UK could join. They said yes, as long as there was somebody in the US (basically, an address) where all the information could be sent. So, if you have a friend or relative here, that would work. Basic membership is $54.00. You might also just check and see if there is an auto club in the UK. It would probably offer similiar benefits. If that doesn't work out, there are a couple of other agencies you could go through, including Disney, that are offering a stay for four nights get a fourth night free deal.

The Grand Californian is a great choice, IMO, for you. If you're youngest gets overwhelmed it's close to the parks so one parent could take him back to the room while the other pair enjoys the park.

Is this your first visit???

06-05-2006, 07:16 AM
Click me for some excellent advice about taking a person with autism to the DLR (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=24018&highlight=autistic).