PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland in September (questions)

kimc0486
06-05-2006, 12:06 AM
Hi all,

I just have a few questions...

Does anyone know when the Matterhorn and Haunted Mansion will go down for refurb in September? (The DL site doesn't say)

How is Labor Day weekend? I was planning Sunday, Monday and then Tuesday and Wednesday. Will Sun and Mon be crazy, or not so bad?

Also, does anyone know if the ODV and the Tiki Bar take the Chase Disney credit card reward points? Thanks. :D

hlbtimes2
06-05-2006, 08:52 AM
Holiday weekends are always busier then non- holidays. Even little holidays that not every one celebrates- like Columbus day in Oct. tend to bring in extra people. Plus, may of the 50th things will be ending/ coming down around that time. Many people will be trying to get in one last trip before its all over. I would plan on it being very busy.

If you plan for it to be busy, and its not, then you'll feel lucky!

stan4d_steph
06-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Does anyone know when the Matterhorn and Haunted Mansion will go down for refurb in September? (The DL site doesn't say)RideRefurbs.com (http://www.riderefurbs.com) is also a source for refurb information.

DianeM
06-05-2006, 09:00 AM
I was just pricing hotels for the week after labor day weekend. The prices for the hotel we wanted were all $89/night, even for friday night. Then I added labor day itself, thinking that the crowds will be thinning as people go home. The room price shot up to $98/night. That tells me that labor day and the day right after will probably be very crowded. We're planning on driving up to Anaheim on labor day, then travelling to San Diego Zoo on tuesday, then disneyland wednesday through saturday. I expect light to moderate crowds during the week and heavy on the weekend. I'd rather travel in october, but my husband doesn't want to miss the last of the 50th stuff.

Hi all,

Does anyone know when the Matterhorn and Haunted Mansion will go down for refurb in September? (The DL site doesn't say)

How is Labor Day weekend? I was planning Sunday, Monday and then Tuesday and Wednesday. Will Sun and Mon be crazy, or not so bad?

Also, does anyone know if the ODV and the Tiki Bar take the Chase Disney credit card reward points? Thanks. :D

Frogberto
06-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi all,

Sunday of the Labor Day weekend will be bad, but Monday will not be nearly as bad. I'd estimate the crowds drop off 1/2 based upon reports from last year, as well as what just happened on Memorial Day Weekend. Tuesday and Wednesdays should be really nice, as many schools are starting up that week.

kimc0486
06-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks! I went on the riderefurb site and didn't see anything about the Matterhorn, I have heard on other sites that it is going down in September, does anyone know about this? Thanks again everyone!

Darkbeer
06-05-2006, 02:48 PM
http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al053006e.htm

This September will also see something regular visitors haven't seen in over a year, and that's several major attractions all closed at the same time. While the exact calendar hasn't been hammered out yet, both the Matterhorn Bobsleds and the Monorail will close just after Labor Day for extended refurbishments. The Matterhorn should reopen by Thanksgiving weekend, but the Monorails may not make it back until the first new train arrives next June.

Thius makes sense, Disney did a lot of refurbs just before the 50th, and the Matterhorn is "late" in its normal refurb schedule of late. I would expect to see a lot of stuff down for maintenance this fall and spring of 2007 as they try to get back to the normal refurb schedule.

Since ODV and the Tiki Bar don't have registers and don't take credit cards or give AP discounts, I seriously doubt you can use your points.

potzbie
06-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Also, does anyone know if the ODV and the Tiki Bar take the Chase Disney credit card reward points? Thanks.

Once upon a time, I too was curious.

When I had asked, "Why don't you (e.g., ice cream vendor cart) take credit cards?" the answer was simple: "No electricity."
(i.e., they cannot "run" a card thru any device.)

yellowrice
06-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Hi,

We're thinking of planning a trip to DL in September since it might be the only time to get another trip in with our schedules.

How is DL at this time? Like are alot of shows and parades closed and rides being refurbished at this time? Are the shows and parades reopened for the weekends in September? Are there still alot of characters out?

And any other advice.

Thanks in advance!

Skunker
06-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Most of September the Haunted Mansion is down, and that's my favorite...but otherwise it's a good time to go! I went years ago in September (before they closed HM every year) and it was uncrowded and wonderful. One of my favorite DL trips of all time.

Darkbeer
06-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Looks like the Matterhorn, the Monorail,the Haunted Mansion and California Screamin' at DCA will all be closed for refurb in September.

As for shows, many will be closed or cut back (such as Snow White, Fantasmic!, etc.) the fall schedule has not yet been announced.

Nobody has a straight answers about the parades at DCA, you might get either the Electrical Parade or Block Party Bash on weekends only. The Parade of Dreams should be offered daily at DL.

And Characters do come out 7 days a week, year round, though maybe not as often as busy days.

yellowrice
06-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Looks like the Matterhorn, the Monorail,the Haunted Mansion and California Screamin' at DCA will all be closed for refurb in September.

As for shows, many will be closed or cut back (such as Snow White, Fantasmic!, etc.) the fall schedule has not yet been announced.

Nobody has a straight answers about the parades at DCA, you might get either the Electrical Parade or Block Party Bash on weekends only. The Parade of Dreams should be offered daily at DL.

And Characters do come out 7 days a week, year round, though maybe not as often as busy days.

Thanks for the reply Darkbeer... well hopefully the fall schedule would be out sooner then later. We're probably bigger in seeing the shows and parades, so if they still have those on the weekend in September, then that will still work. Plus seeing Characters and if lucky some rarer characters!

amarvel
06-19-2006, 02:50 PM
I went last labor day and it was great, didnt find it was that crowded, and compared to when i went this last april before easter, it was like an empty park :)

kimc0486
06-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Ok so a few more follow-up questions on rides...

riderefurbs.com says HM and California Screamin down September 11th, on the DL main site HM goes down the 5th of September and has no listing yet for California Screamin

riderefurbs.com also has no listing for the Matterhorn, but DL site has it closed Aug 28th on.

So my questions are I guess, does anyone know what days the Monorail will be going down and CA Screamin? I am gonna go with the main DL site I would say, but neither has any info on the roller coaster or the monorail. And do you think HM will be closing as soon as the DL site says? Thanks.

Additionally, will the fireworks and Fantasmic be only Fr and Sa? Or is this still up in the air?

Thanks!!!!

kimc0486
06-19-2006, 09:32 PM
I went to DL last September, and I had only ever been at peak times previously (summer, spring break etc...). I absolutely LOVED DL in September. The lines were minimal, the weather was still amazing and we still got to see all the fireworks, parades and shows. When we were there last year (I believe 9/11-19) CA Screamin was closed due to a problem on the ride and HM was also closed, everything else was open though. We NEVER waited in lines more then 30 min, even on Splash and Space, which, even with FP's we still waited in long lines during July and other peak times. We had no problem waiting in food lines, got waterfront seating without a fight at Blue Bayou and still watched the Parade of Dreams, Remember...and Fantasmic, now that I do remember, I think EP was down for refurb though. All in all, it was a nice exchange, much cheaper hotel rates, weather still amazing, lighter crowds, lighter lines and almost all the rides! September is my new Disneyland travel month, I am going again this year! Have fun!

Darkbeer
06-19-2006, 09:58 PM
The Monorail closes August 21st, and is rumored, if everything goes well, to reopen December 14th thru early January for the peak Christmas season. But a lot of folks are not sure they can pull it off. Anyways, it will be closed from early January until the opening of Nemo, more than likely May, though the Monorail might open later than Nemo.

The Hotel Division is really pushing to have the Monorail open in late December, but the construction folks are saying "too much hassle and additional costs".

kimc0486
06-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks as always Darkbeer!!

Does anyone know when California Screamin is going down?

What about the schedule regarding the fireworks, F!, EP etc....

Is HM going down the 11th (according to riderefurbs) or the 5th (according to the DL site)?

Thanks again everyone!!!