PDA

View Full Version : average food costs

kimmybear
06-04-2006, 06:18 PM
i'm going for 4 days, a total of 12 meals [plus snacks], and i'm trying to guesstimate how much the food total is going to come to. i'm not planning on eating anywhere fancy. anyone have any idea what the total's going to come out to? thanks! :D oh, i'm also considering trying to "kids meal" it all the way- do i have to prove i have a kid? :D :D

Rhiannon8404
06-04-2006, 06:35 PM
i'm going for 4 days, a total of 12 meals [plus snacks], and i'm trying to guesstimate how much the food total is going to come to. i'm not planning on eating anywhere fancy. anyone have any idea what the total's going to come out to? thanks! :D oh, i'm also considering trying to "kids meal" it all the way- do i have to prove i have a kid? :D :D
I couldn't begin to tell you how much money you'll need for food, but I will tell you, I have never had a problem ordering a kids meal for myself at any of the walk up type places. The only sit-down restaurant I have ordered a kids meal for myself at was Carnation Cafe and it was no problem.

darph nader
06-04-2006, 07:13 PM
We usually figure 'about' $10.00 per meal,per person. This includes snacks and such.

CariBelle
06-04-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm not a big breakfast person, so I just eat a muffin or cereal bar in my room before heading to the parks, then have a mid morning snack (about $8), a late lunch (about $15), a dole whip (about $5), and then dinner (between $15-$25 depending where we eat). So about $50 a day for me, sometimes more if I buy drinks throughout the day.

Mermaid
06-04-2006, 07:53 PM
I usually bring a box of nutri-grain muffin bars if I am not staying at a hotel with free breakfast. I allow $25 a day for food which get me two counter service meals and a snack. I might allow 10-15 more if I threw in a sit down meal. I usually have money left over from my food budget doing it this way!

rentayenta
06-04-2006, 08:01 PM

It depends on if you get sodas and desserts but I think that planning for $15 per meal, including snacks, should be plenty.

hlbtimes2
06-04-2006, 08:15 PM
I recomend taking a look at www.dlresortinfo.com to get an idea of what meals at various place cost, and what is offered. We usually have two meals and some snacks a day. I would guess $30 -35 per adult a day. Probably $20-25 per child

jakoky
06-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Hi there, we just came back from our 10 night trip(actually 11 with our 1 night stay in our hotel in vancouver)so 12 days of eating.......we are a family of 5 and we spent just under a 1000 dollars on food...I couldnt believe how little we spent(i had estimated 1300-1400 dollars...We did pack water bottles into the park along with a small amount of granola bars, fruit snacks and other little things, of course, we always had to have a fun snack in the parks, churros, soft ice cream.....We learned to share some meals though as the first couple of days we were ordering our own we had so many leftovers we could have made at least 1 dinner, if not 2 out of them...and my kids are older-15,almost 13, and 10....i am not a huge eater so i always shared....some of the portion sizes were just incredible down there, so going for a kids order is a great idea....have fun!!!:)

06-05-2006, 06:54 AM
We learned to share some meals

To me, this is the absolute secret. Almost anything will be enough for two people and sometimes even three (chicken fusilli at Redd Rockett's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland, for example), especially if you also throw in a dessert.

Poptart
06-05-2006, 09:35 AM
DS had a chicken nugget kids meal at Village Haus and it was $5.99ish and I had a hamburger for $7.50ish. I also had a regular sized bottled Sprite later on for $2.75! Absurd on the drink price if you ask me. I did bring in several bottles of water in a soft sided cooler and snacks too. I saw a family with a huge bag of Cheetos tied to their stroller - didn't know you could bring in that much, but apparently so.

Mickey ice cream bars are $3.00.

kirstie_29
06-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Definitely bring in snacks of your own and bottled water. I think bottled water at the park is over $3.00, so you can definitely save some money if you bring in your own. Just because you bring in snacks doesn't mean you can't get a treat in the afternoon....I love the frozen bananas!

DianeM
06-05-2006, 10:04 AM
I generally budget about $50/day for my husband and me. We don't eat at a lot of pricery restaurants, but do partake heavily of snacks, like dole whip or hot pretzels or cotton candy, which can run $3/snack or more.

MileHighAko
06-05-2006, 12:16 PM
...We did pack water bottles into the park along with a small amount of granola bars, fruit snacks and other little things...
We do this too and it saves a TON of $. Our preference is to stay in a suite with a full size fridge (Residence Inn in our case), and buy a case of bottled water at the local grocery. Then we freeze the entire case, and take about 6-8 bottles in a backpack into the park with us. We stick them in a locker, and go retrieve them throughout the day. By the time it is hot outside, the ice has melted enough to make a very refreshing drink without the high cost. We keep the empty bottles and freeze cool-aid that we drink later in the week. :-)

kimmybear
06-05-2006, 05:20 PM
thanks all for the advice! i'm definetly going to try to share/split a lot of my meals or get kids meals. and snacks are a must. i really like the idea of renting a locker and just stashing water and snacks. we'll see how much we can drag on the airplane. thanks again!!! :D :D

Omnitographer
06-05-2006, 07:03 PM
There is a mcdonalds withing walking distance, i think 100 yards, from the harbor blvd entrance. if you want to save money, eat the dollar menu for lunch.

darph nader
06-05-2006, 11:04 PM
There is a mcdonalds withing walking distance, i think 100 yards, from the harbor blvd entrance. if you want to save money, eat the dollar menu for lunch.

Last year,we hit Mickey D's on our last morning(we were leaving) 5 adults and 1 toddler,$20.00.And these were the full breakfast thingys.:rolleyes:

annieb727
06-27-2006, 12:14 PM
I was reading and the average of eating ALL sit down restaurants for all meals in the park would average $50/day per adult.

disneyperson
06-27-2006, 12:51 PM
To me, this is the absolute secret. Almost anything will be enough for two people and sometimes even three (chicken fusilli at Redd Rockett's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland, for example), especially if you also throw in a dessert.
Helen is correct on this. We share meals most of the time.

wvnative
06-27-2006, 01:08 PM
I made sure to get room with at least a mini fridge. Since we are driving up, we'll take cereal and milk and then sandwich stuff and chips for lunches. I figure that way we'll only need to eat dinner at the park and can rest a little each afternoon. I think we'll try the cooler with drinks and snacks in a locker idea though. Hadn't thought of that. The girls (15, 16, and 16 by then) don't snack much so that's not a huge issue.

SeansMom
06-27-2006, 06:03 PM
I recomend taking a look at www.dlresortinfo.com to get an idea of what meals at various place cost, and what is offered. We usually have two meals and some snacks a day. I would guess $30 -35 per adult a day. Probably $20-25 per child

That sounds about right to me. We budget $100.00 per day for 2 adults and one child (well, teen now :) ). So, I would think you could get by for somewhere between $30.00 and $40.00 a day, and less if you were eating kids meals and trying to keep costs down.

Leap for Joy
06-27-2006, 08:20 PM
My DH and I budget $50/day for food. We have something light in our room before we leave in the morning, then buy a late breakfast, an early dinner, and snacks. Another advantage of this method is that we miss the busy meal times at the restaurants.