PDA

View Full Version : Make sure handstamp does not wash off!

erica84
06-04-2006, 04:44 PM
I have been meaning to post about this when I got back from DLR and I just remembered right now! On Thursday 5/25 we went to DL first and spent the whole morning and mid-afternoon at the park. We left for our hotel to go for a swim and rest up. My friend, Marcela, hadn't been to DL in 10 years so as she was swimming, she kept asking me if her handstamp would wash off with the chlorine and I assured her that some of it would but that under the blue light it would show up. She showered (with body wash) and her handstamp was almost completely gone. She was freaking out and I kept reminding her about the blue light would be able to see even a faint marking of the stamp. Well, we went to DCA that evening. They did not have the blue lights there at the gates so the CM at the gate said she'd have to call someone to bring one. She was very nice about it but that CM who brought the light over was not! She was very rude and condescending and said to Marcela that she didn't believe that it was her ticket. She asked what time we came to the parks that morning and being nervous, Marcela couldn't remember. I chimed in but was told to be quiet or my ticket would be revoked (I was not aware of that). The rude CM went to check what time her ticket was swiped and came back still saying that she didn't believe it was Marcela's ticket but would let her in anyway. She also said that the handstamps do not wash away that easily. This is just a warning to make sure you sign your ticket and be careful your handstamp doesn't get washed off. (Sorry for the long post!) :)

SeansMom
06-04-2006, 05:09 PM
If you apply LOTION of any kind before they stamp your hand, it is more likely to wash off or fade if you then swim and shower. I made that mistake once, but didn't get the hassle your friend did.

Disney Vault
06-04-2006, 05:29 PM
I love how at the end of the trip it is just a blob. You can go on Splash Mt. and see a huge spot glowing from the blacklight when you are near the bees.

ILovePoker
06-04-2006, 05:30 PM
I have been meaning to post about this when I got back from DLR and I just remembered right now! On Thursday 5/25 we went to DL first and spent the whole morning and mid-afternoon at the park. We left for our hotel to go for a swim and rest up. My friend, Marcela, hadn't been to DL in 10 years so as she was swimming, she kept asking me if her handstamp would wash off with the chlorine and I assured her that some of it would but that under the blue light it would show up. She showered (with body wash) and her handstamp was almost completely gone. She was freaking out and I kept reminding her about the blue light would be able to see even a faint marking of the stamp. Well, we went to DCA that evening. They did not have the blue lights there at the gates so the CM at the gate said she'd have to call someone to bring one. She was very nice about it but that CM who brought the light over was not! She was very rude and condescending and said to Marcela that she didn't believe that it was her ticket. She asked what time we came to the parks that morning and being nervous, Marcela couldn't remember. I chimed in but was told to be quiet or my ticket would be revoked (I was not aware of that). The rude CM went to check what time her ticket was swiped and came back still saying that she didn't believe it was Marcela's ticket but would let her in anyway. She also said that the handstamps do not wash away that easily. This is just a warning to make sure you sign your ticket and be careful your handstamp doesn't get washed off. (Sorry for the long post!) :)
I would file a complaint. A cast member should never be so condescending and rude like that. That is simply unprofessional.

Andrew
06-04-2006, 05:39 PM
... that CM who brought the light over was not! She was very rude and condescending and said to Marcela that she didn't believe that it was her ticket. She asked what time we came to the parks that morning and being nervous, Marcela couldn't remember. I chimed in but was told to be quiet or my ticket would be revoked (I was not aware of that). The rude CM went to check what time her ticket was swiped and came back still saying that she didn't believe it was Marcela's ticket but would let her in anyway. ...
Whatever the circumstances, that kind of behavior on the part of the CM is absolutely uncalled-for. If you or your friend haven't already, I would suggest a letter--not an email--to Guest Relations recounting the incident. Include the name of the CM if you know it.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-04-2006, 06:37 PM
I agree with the others who say to file a complaint! That is unacceptable. Even if they did not believe her, the CM should not treat any guest that way.

erica84
06-04-2006, 07:33 PM
I totally agree with all of you - she was embarrassed and I felt so bad because I was assuring her she wouldn't have a problem getting back in. I wish we had gotten the name of the CM; in the moment you kind of forget about that stuff! She probably figured that we were a bunch of teenagers who were trying to pull a fast one on her which I'm sure has happened before, but that still does not excuse her rudeness. I noticed that the CM's at the DL's Main Gate seemed more cheerful and accommodating - but maybe that's just me! I'm not sure if sending a letter without knowing the name of the CM would do any good - what do you all think?

Dexter
06-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Honestly, I think if you included the date and approxmate time that the incident occured and probably a photocopy of your ticket if available so they can look up the ticket information to see who scanned the ticket, they maybe able to question CM's to get the information.

I Heart Disneyland!
06-04-2006, 07:43 PM
She probably figured that we were a bunch of teenagers who were trying to pull a fast one on her which I'm sure has happened before, but that still does not excuse her rudeness.

You know what saddens me? That you are young and this is probably why she was such a jerk. :( I'm sorry that happened and I would absolutely file a complaint!

jpeben
06-05-2006, 02:37 AM
As a Merchandise CM, I apologize to you for the rudeness of the cast member. I often work strollers and have to work with the ticket takers at the gates when I need to go through to do esplanade runs or go in and out. I don't mean to stereo type all of them, because some are very nice, but my merchandise friends, as well as my friends from other Lines of Businesses, quote them as the evil cast members. I've been yelled at countless times from them for no reason as a guest and a cast member. My friends have been treated very rude by them as well too. We just don't get it.

Drince88
06-05-2006, 04:00 AM
They stamp your hand with 'black light' ink, and then don't have black lights at all the turnstyles?

What am I missing?

adriennek
06-05-2006, 07:08 AM
They stamp your hand with 'black light' ink, and then don't have black lights at all the turnstyles?

Ok, that's what I wasn't getting either. The turnstyles all have lights at them. They're part of the turnstyles/ticket taking thingies.

Adrienne

erica84
06-05-2006, 07:40 PM
I guess it is a black light, it looks blue to me! :D What was weird was the black lights weren't up at DCA, the CM brought over a "hand-held" light to look at her hand. When we crossed over to DL after DCA closed, they had the black lights up and running....

Another Dimension
06-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Calling you a liar, being rude and then threatening to revoke your ticket for using your freedom of speech and maturely stating your opinion based on the treatment of one of your friends or family....

= That CM absolutely sucks!

I'd serve that CM's head on a plate at Guest Relations so fast!!

People saving their hard earned money for years and then paying 1000s of dollars and then traveling 1000s of miles (or even 5 miles) as paying customers should never be treated like that... by any service personell, no matter what cute little name that EMPLOYEE is called by their workplace.

Disgraceful behavior, especially from a Disney Cast Member!!

geoffa
06-06-2006, 01:05 PM
You should have done the following:

Note the name of the rude CM. Request to speak to a supervisor. If the supervisor had not dealt with the matter to your satisfaction...

Register your complaint at City Hall - ask it to be logged in writing noting the CM's name and the Supervisor's name - and obtain the name of the CM who records your complaint. If no immediate satisfaction....

Write to:

Disneyland Resort
P.O. Box 3232
1313 S. Harbor Blvd.
Anaheim, CA 92803-3232

Ensure you keep a copy of your letter. Tell them (in the letter) you require a response in not more than 28 days. If they do not respond then I would consult with a consumer advisory agency or lawyer - let's hope you don't have to go that far. All I can say is that back 1995 we had a foul day at Disneyland because it was Residents day and we could hardly get on anything. I went to City Hall - they recorded my complaint and home address. Within two weeks I had a letter of apology and a FULL refund to my credit card. Couldn't say fairer than that.

There is no excuse for a CM to speak to you in that fashion. I work in public transport and my management allows me to exercise "reasonable doubt". Its about customer SERVICE after all. As a paying customer (let's drop the "guest" pretence for a moment) you are entitled to services and civilty and the fact you (your friend) have paid good money only to be called liars is totally a NO NO! Don't let this CM get away with it.

erica84
06-06-2006, 08:35 PM
I have decided that I will file a written complaint. I know I don't have a name but I have a good memory of the time the incident occured and I have my ticket as well. Thanks for everyone's comments and help - it really is appreciated. I just hope that this doesn't happen to anyone else! :)

geoffa
06-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Let us all know the outcome please! Good Luck and don't let this incident cloud your love for Disney.

Bolivar
06-07-2006, 10:35 AM
...Ensure you keep a copy of your letter. Tell them (in the letter) you require a response in not more than 28 days. If they do not respond then I would consult with a consumer advisory agency or lawyer...
I see it as being in Disney's best interest to give good customer service and to do two things in this case: 1) take corrective action with this employee to ensure it doesn't happen to others and 2) to apologize and maybe offer something to the person to whom this did happened to try turning an unhappy customer into a happy one. Maybe it is as simple as describing the corrective action they took with the employee (discipline, customer service training, firing -- though that gets into the employee's privacy issues).

But I don't see where demanding a response or where an agency or a lawyer comes into the picture.

erica84
06-07-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't see where demanding a response or where an agency or a lawyer comes into the picture.

I don't have the time or the money to let it go that far! ;) Besides, this wasn't the most horrible experience of our lives and we did not suffer any permanent damage; it was just an uncomfortable and embarrassing experience. That was only the first day - we had three magical days after that and this has not ruined my love for all things Disney. :D

The old man
06-07-2006, 04:02 PM
...Ensure you keep a copy of your letter. Tell them (in the letter) you require a response in not more than 28 days. If they do not respond then I would consult with a consumer advisory agency or lawyer
Exactly what would a lawyer do?

tink1234
06-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Exactly what would a lawyer do?

I am with you! I totally agree that this should not have happened. Okay, maybe file a complaint. But the CM did let you in and so honored their part of the agreement. (Meaning you paid for a ticket and were let in the park for following the rules of said ticket.) Isn't perfectly acceptable by law to refuse the right of service to anyone? So even if they had not let you in the park-which would have been even more wrong- there isn't much anyone can do other than file a complaint.

Now please don't read this as I am taking the CM's side, because I am NOT. What he did was WRONG and he should be reprimanded for it.

geoffa
06-09-2006, 02:14 AM
To the last four posts - obviously in the US you do things differently. Over here in the U.K. we have the Sale of Goods act and each local authority as a Trade Descriptions Department. You use these to get satisfaction and consumers rights (be it apology, compensation, change in the law etc) when you do not receive satisfaction direct from the supplier of goods or services you have purchased. It gives you access to legal recourse. OK I suspect Disney will do the decent thing and apologise, redress the situation and make some gesture of compensation. But I have to say there was me thinking it was the USA that was the litigious society! My bad!
However, had someone called me a liar (which is what was suggested QUOTE: "The rude CM went to check what time her ticket was swiped and came back still saying that she didn't believe it was Marcela's ticket but would let her in anyway. She also said that the handstamps do not wash away that easily.") I'd be seeking a bit more than an apology - Disney or not! The issue should have been tackled at the time it happened by asking to see a Supervisor. The people involved were obviously so phased by the incident that this didn't occur to them at the time - I was merely pointing out what next steps should be taken. The important thing here is that the complainant makes the complaint IN WRITING to the Admistration Management of the park to get the ball rolling. Filling out little cards at City Hall don't always quite have the right effect.