PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Addition to Disneyland

Swhite
06-03-2006, 08:10 AM
My husband and I are going to DL for our 20th anniversary in Nov!! Yay! In addition to that (and the beach), we are each picking an additional thing to do. His pick is Universal Studios. As for me, I was thinking of Catalina Island.

I was wondering, can anyone here tell me if this is not so good an idea in November? Also, can anyone recommend a nice place to stay there? Any info is greatly appreciated. I love the Laguna Beach area and was thinking of staying at The Inn at Laguna Beach, but wondered if there is a boat close to there that goes to Catalina Island. When I am looking around on the web, it is hard for me to tell because I don't know very good where things are in relation to each other! (We're Coloradans)

Any other suggestions for my pick are also greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

ralfrick
06-03-2006, 06:53 PM
They are both good choices. If you've been to Universal Florida you'll find this one is much different since it was not designed as a theme park. We're going to Cataline again on our DL trip in August; made a day trip a couple of years ago, and are staying 2 nights this go around. I understand the temperature is fairly steady year round, but the water may be cooler. Snorkeling/Diving is great; a wetsuit will keep you warm. Take a glass bottom boat or submersible if you don't want to get wet. Check www.catalina.com for info.

Cheers

Teeeena
06-03-2006, 10:42 PM
From Laguna Beach, you can take a ferry to Catalina from Dana Point. November will be on the cool side, not snorkeling/beach weather, but more of a quiet getaway time of year.

newportbeachbumz
06-04-2006, 09:39 AM
It also leaves from Newport. Here is more info on Catalina

http://www.catalinainfo.com/

We live on the beach... the weather in November is usually crisp. I don't know that I would be in the water without a wetsuit, although my kids have jumped in the water in December. :eek: It's just a matter of preference I guess. Catalina, Laguna and Newport are beautiful year round. Enjoy!

zombie pirate
06-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Go down to San Diego for a day or two. Theres a lot to do down there. San Diego Zoo, Sea World, Check out the long boardwalk in Mission Beach next to Sea World, rent some rollerblades. The Ocean Beach pier,and shopping on Newport ave next to the pier, sorta like the old hippie days. Sunset Cliffs next to OB, Cabrillo nation Mounument/lighthouse. Balboa Park,and museums next to the zoo, you can park in the SD zoo parking lot, its free, walk over to Balboa park, that place is great. if you like MLB baseball, if the Padres are in town catch a Baseball game at Petco Park, have dinner in the Gaslamp district afterwards. Theres a lot of Military navy,marines, to check out. or Mexico, go down to Roserito beach. use the border shuttle. Tijauana is not Mexico, cheap tourist stuff.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-04-2006, 04:36 PM
you can park in the SD zoo parking lot, its free, walk over to Balboa park, that place is great.Well, of course you can "walk over to Balboa Park" from the Zoo. And you don't have to walk very far: the Zoo is IN Balboa Park! :rolleyes:

There is also the Zoo's younger, larger sister facility in the San Pasqual Valley, the Wild Animal Park. Although the Park's "Wgasa Bush Line" electric tram tour has been shortened in preparation for some major renovations. (Incidentally, the story goes that the tram tour got its name from a derisive, somewhat scatological remark made when the Zoo people were trying to come up with a name. The remark just happened to form an acronym that sounded like a legitimate Swahili word, and the name stuck.) The Park's East Africa enclosure is, by itself, large enough to completely swallow the Zoo's main facility in Balboa Park, with room to spare.

Going back to Balboa Park, the attractions closest to the Zoo include a carousel, a train ride, and a group of Mexican-themed shops; beyond that, you will find the San Diego Museum of Natural History, the Fleet Science Center, a model railroad museum, and a number of other museums, gardens, and shops, and the Spreckels Organ Pavilion, an ampitheatre featuring free organ recitals every Sunday afternoon, 52 weeks a year, rain or shine, as well as every Monday evening for 11 weeks in the summer.

Long Beach has the Aquarium of the Pacific, and the Queen Mary.

Going into Los Angeles, there are the museums of Exposition Park (the California Science Center and the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County), Hancock Park (the Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits, and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art; there are a number of other museums nearby), as well as a number of museums in Hollywood (mostly related to moviemaking). Regarding the Page Museum, if you get there early enough on a Saturday, they may offer what is called an "Albert tour": a fascinating living history presentation in which a docent "channels" Albert Cooper, a laborer who was hired in the early 20th century to dig bones.

November is far too late in the year for Hollywood Bowl, but you'll certainly find a great deal going on downtown, at the Music Center: concerts in Disney Hall, and various plays, musicals, operas, ballets, and so forth in the Chandler, Ahmanson, and Taper.

Returning to Orange County, there's also Knotts Berry Farm, but it's been years since I set foot in the place.

kiwifuz
06-04-2006, 10:39 PM
When we went for our kind of honeymoon last year we did the Southern California & Hollywood Citypasses.

We'd never done the Hollywood tourist-y stuff before so that was pretty fun, and it was pretty cheap too. I want to say 30 something bucks through Costco.

As for the SoCal citypass if you're doing Disney & Universal already, it adds Sea World, and either the San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal park. Honestly it's not much more than the price of the Disney passes (especially if you get them thru costco).

The Queen Mary brunch is really nice too. We'd definitely recommend that also.

Swhite
06-05-2006, 03:33 AM
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions.

Has anyone stayed over at Catalina Island and can recommend where to stay?

Does anyone know why HoJo is booked in November? I tried to get a quote for the first week of November and there are no rooms!

Thanks again.

The old man
06-05-2006, 11:21 AM
... if you like MLB baseball, if the Padres are in town catch a Baseball game at Petco Park.
I wouldn't expect to see much of the Padres in Nov.
David

mulansgirl
06-05-2006, 01:11 PM
I stoped by catalina because I was hopeing to find more information on the Bannings a family that owned the island for a while. Kinda local heros in a way for me. It was nice but I was on a cruise boat so I do not know where to stay over night. I was planning on eventually staying at the bannings old house they turned it into a hotel check it out if you are interested. A bit pricy for me right now but mayby you can splurge for such a great occasion.

http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/twoHarbors/lodg_banningHouse.php

also if you go to San Diego Balboa park some of the museums are free on tuesdays check out the schedual and see if there are some you would like to go to.
http://www.balboapark.org/aboutfree.html

City passes are great for many reasons the one I like is you don't have to stand in line to buy a ticket just go right to the turnstyle.

Have a great time and congradulations

Edited to add if you do choose to go t San Diego there are many packages to choose from and a ton of stuff to do there is the
GO San Diego card: http://www.gosandiegocard.com/
Old town trolly tour
http://shophta.com/acb/stores/15/product1.asp?SID=15&Product_ID=121
And other Historic Tours stuff there is a Passport to SanDiego on the one
http://www.historictours.com/sandiego/

wabby1
06-05-2006, 01:20 PM
For a nice place to eat, I'd recommend the Crab Cooker in Newport Beach. Good food. Knotts Berry Farm is also highly recommended. Have a good trip!