PDA

View Full Version : Desert Inn & Suites

cirquelover
06-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Has anyone stayed at the Desert Inn & Suites recently? I have a friend coming to Disneyland for the first time from Orlando and he is staying there. I think we will be staying there too so we can show him around Disneyland and be close to each other. He has booked a standard room and my husband has reserved us a spa suite.
The rooms look spacious and it seems to be very close to the cross walk to Disneyland. I'm hoping we have made the right choice!
Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Nancy
06-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Personally I wouldn't stay there if it was free. Disney Travel no longer has them included with their "Good Neighbor" motels either. I'd see if your friend can switch too. Check out the motel reviews here at Mouse Planet.

cirquelover
06-02-2006, 03:54 PM
The only recent review gave it good marks! The rest of the reviews appear to be from 2002 or before.

DaddyB
06-02-2006, 04:26 PM
There are two similarly named hotels that used the word "Desert"... I had very good experiences with one, and horrible with the other. The one I would want to AVOID is the Desert Palms Hotel Suites on Katella avenue. They advertise that they're across from the park, but really they're across from the very far end of California Adventure. I had very poor experiences with the rooms and rude employees when relatives last stayed there.

The one that I would recommend more is the Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites. Not the greatest place in the world, but they offer a very good value, expecially considering they're almost right at the crosswalk to the Sunshine Plaza between the parks. There are a couple hotels closer to the crosswalk, but still it's very close. (this hotel's address is 1600 S. Harbor Blvd, and Disneyland's is famously 1313 S. Harbor to give you an idea) The room was decent and clean and the employees were at minimum courteous at all times.

I just wanted to warn you that you may get some folks confused in your question, so you may get some people hating the hotel, but thinking it's the other... (now I'm confused!).

BlkPearlCptn
06-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Desert Inn and Suites is where I normally stay. It has always been clean and the beds comfortable. I've also been upgraded more times than I can count there.

Now the one to avoid is Castle Inn and Suites...DI&S was booked so the last time there Castle Inn and Suites was the only hotel available. When we arrived the room was open and filthy when I went upstairs after checking in. The sheets were dirty and evidence of someone having a "really good time" was still on them and they were stinking of the experience. We could never get them to come in and change them or bring towels (there were none, except one dirty one one the floor) and couldn't get management to get the room cleaned or even towels (we are out of towels, and if we can find sheets you are welcome to change them yourselves, it is past 6:00 pm.).. Seriously. Had to call Travelocity to come to our rescue. Did get an upgrade to a suite, but the sink was broken and not working. Never Again!!!

But Desert Inn and Suites...over 100+ times staying in the past 10 years and never ONCE had anything but clean rooms, friendly staff, and a great bed.

Hope this helps

TTFN92
06-02-2006, 10:48 PM
We stayed there and thought it was fine. It seemed like a pretty standard room. Nothing fancy, but clean. I stayed there in Jan. with my sisters and in March with my family. Had the same experience both times. My BIL always stays there too. The location is great. Parking is at a premium but if you don't get there too late you'll be fine.

We also stayed at Desert Palms and it was fine staying there too. We had reservations at Del Sol and they had a water line break so switched us over there. We were disappointed because of the distance. We went from staying right across the street to having quite a walk. I think we got a nicer room though.

The one hotel I would NOT stay at is Ramada Inn Main Gate. It was awful. There were blood stains on one of the towels and holes in some of the other ones. That did it for me. Never again.

tlovesdis
06-03-2006, 05:37 AM
We stayed there once and would never stay there again! Yes, it is inexpensive and very close to the cross walk, but the rooms were dirty (we had 5 rooms all together and all were bad), the whole place seemed kind of run down and old, and the parking situation is silly. They have more rooms than they do parking spaces.

mkraemer
06-03-2006, 03:44 PM
We've stayed at the DIS almost exclusively for the past 10 years (and we make several trips per year). Here's what I like:

I'm a 'frequent flier' there...they know me and give me a good rate as a return customer. I don't shop around because I already know what I'm getting (and for those occasions when I have shopped around, the rate at DIS has been better).

In the years we've gone there, it's had two remodels/upgrades of beds, decor, etc. It's not especially fancy, but it's very decent. The beds are comfortable, there's hot water in the shower, the room has a refrigerator, microwave, and a coffeemaker...that's what we really want/need (it's also got an ironing board/iron and hairdryer, but we don't use those things most of the time).

It's close to DL. Walk across Harbor Blvd. and you're there. Forget something? It's easy enough to go back to the room. Kids too tired to watch the fireworks in the park? Watch them from the rooftop area at the hotel.

Depending on the room, I can look out the window in the morning and see the Matterhorn. I'm funny, but I really like that.

The Visa bill doesn't make my heart beat fast when it arrives after staying there. I can rationalize going again...and again...

Yes, parking is tight. Yes, the elevators are slow and at the end of the day, they're crowded (I don't see why this is such a surprise). I'm not a big fan of the little breakfast, but my kids seem to think that the toaster there is the coolest contraption ever. Whatever.

Would I go again? Absolutely. And to prove that point, I have reservations for three more stays this year.

ralfrick
06-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Staying for the third time in August.

Cheers.

IdahoMike
06-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Positives: Our room was clean, quiet, everything worked, and the staff was friendly. Location and price were great

Negatives: Parking is awful, one of the 2 elevators was broken the whole time we were there, and if you are someone that uses the pool, it isn't very appealing (at least it wasn't to us).

We would probably stay there again, but we are going for the Candy Cane this time around, since it has always gotten great reviews.

cirquelover
06-04-2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all the reviews! We don't care about the pool, my husband will have a spa in the room. I'm glad to hear it's clean, that's my biggest concern.

We usually stay at the Candy Cane but rooms weren't available for when we are there. My friend couldn't afford the Candy Cane Inn so I was trying to find something with a more reasonable price for him. I thought Anaheim Desert Inn was very close to the crosswalk so he wouldn't have to walk forever and it was a lot cheaper.
We are all going to a Cirque du Soleil convention right after Disneyland and will feel like we are bleeding money in Vegas!! However I wanted to be able to show my friend Disneyland, the original, before we all met in Las Vegas.

mkraemer
06-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Oh yeah, the pool. I think that the first time we stayed there (l-o-n-g ago), it was winter, so I thought that if it was raining, it would be good to have another option (i.e., the indoor pool).

At this point, 10 years later, we have *never* used that pool. Somehow, after spending all day/most of the evening at the parks, we simply crash.

Because we have access to a pool most of the year, I guess having a pool at our DL hotel just isn't so significant to us. But it is important to some people, so...YMMV.

Leash81
06-04-2006, 11:13 AM
I stayed there for one night last october and never will again. I thought it would be nice to be so close to the park entrance however we got a room as far back as you can go so really it was a walk of about an extra block and a half. It was so noisy we could hear the people in the rooms next to us and everyone outside. I got a rash from the bed, very uncomfortable bed by the way, and I may just be picky but there wasn't a fitted sheet on either of the beds just a flat sheet folded around the thin mattress. The room was musty and a little dirty looking. We woke up in the morning to find some cockroaches crawling up the front of the tv cabinet. We told the front desk about the bugs they said something about the exterminator hadn't come yet that month. Then we tried to leave after checking out and we couldn't leave our parking space because someone had parked behind us. When we finally did get out of the space we were stuck in the parking lot for 10 more minutes because there is only enough room for 1 car to drive at a time and the driveway was blocked by a garbage truck.
I don't think I am really picky, I just expect clean with no bugs, but this hotel really turned me off. I will pay more and stay at the HOJO.