PDA

View Full Version : The Magic Carpet got hurt today

ThomasCanty
06-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Does anyone know how she's doing? She took a nasty tumble in the 2pm Aladdin show during the Genie's musical number. The Genie that lifts her into the air then spins her was a little too strong for his own good.

First he launched her higher than I've ever seen before. She even uttered a "Whew!" when he did it. I've seen the show more times than I care to admit, and that's the first time I heard her make a sound. Then, when he grabbed her and spun her around, he did it too hard again. Instead of making a single revolution and landing on her feet, she spun one and a half times and landed hard on her arm and face. After a few seconds she got up and ran off stage.

The show continued without the carpet until they could suit up another girl for the part and she joined the show at the end of the parade/proposal scene.

As hard as she hit the stage, I'd say it's probably a good possibility that she had a broken arm and who knows what kind of head injuries. I hope it wasn't as bad as it looked from where I was sitting -- three rows back right in front of them.

Another Dimension
06-01-2006, 09:27 PM
I hope she is alright and just maybe (at the worst) has a few very unfortunate bumps... and if not..
I really really hope that she feels much much better ASAP!

Wesley815
06-02-2006, 07:13 AM
I also hope they gave a good talk to the Genie (or more) if it really was his fault.

Poor girl, I hope she's ok. :(

JeffG
06-03-2006, 12:19 PM
If she "got up and ran offstage", I have a very hard time imagining that the injuries were severe.

-Jeff

disneyperson
06-03-2006, 01:36 PM
If she "got up and ran offstage", I have a very hard time imagining that the injuries were severe.

-Jeff
It's not all that difficult to run with a broken arm. I've done it and I was pretty darn fast too.
I hope she is well and unhurt. Poor thing.It's bad enough to take a spill, but to do it in front of hundreds of people,poor thing.

Wesley815
06-03-2006, 07:34 PM
If she "got up and ran offstage", I have a very hard time imagining that the injuries were severe.You sure don't know a lot about entertainment, do you? She could have still been hurt (broken wrist, arm and/or neck, head, internal problems, etc...) but most of the time in a big show the performers will quickly hide themselfs and everything else will continue as normal. Parades is a good example to since there has been quite a few major falls and accidents but (for the most part) all the general public see is a cast member quickly rushed backstage.

The show must go on...

BlkPearlCptn
06-03-2006, 08:04 PM

-Jeff

I had my right kneecap fractured and supporting cartlidge on the right side of it shattered during a choreographed lightsaber fight during a Theater Promotional for Revenge of the Sith. My fighting partner went "off" and believed he was Anakin (make that FORMER fighting partner) and deliberately took my kneecap out. (Yup, he admitted it was a deliberate move. Even screamed "Your holding me back" before he changed the routine and went into pure free fight mode). The only one who realized that something went wrong (besides the rest of our fighting cast) was a professional Stunt/Sword Fighting Coordinator who was in the audience. He came back and told me, "get rid of the kid, he's dangerous. Which I did.)

While my ortho was amazed that I could even walk, he also told me that he has seen the "show much go on" instinct take over in a lot of actors and stunt performers. Trust, me if you are in theater...you have it so drilled into you that it is pure instinct not to EVER let the audience know you are hurt or in pain. Also, when you are performing and injured, not only does the adrenelin take over, but the body also goes into shock as well, which is why a lot of times you aren't even aware that you are hurt as badly as you are. For example, I knew I had been struck, but wasn't aware I was walking on a fractured kneecap. Hope this explains why the Carpet may have been able to walk off stage. She may have collapsed the moment she was out of audience sight.

The audience never knew I was hurt at all, I felt myself going down, did a tuck and roll and then got up, acknowledged the audience and walked of the performance area and backstage.

I had major reconstructive surgery a month later. So, it is quite possible that the Carpet WAS severely hurt, and her instinct just took over.

And as for someone who has been hurt more times than I can count during performances, I'm hoping for the best for her. Broken bones can be fixed, it's the head injuries that you really have to worry about.