PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks question - Matterhorn

charpaul
06-01-2006, 11:00 AM
I have watched the fireworks three times in the last three weeks and each time they have NOT used the Matterhorn for the Pirate battle sequence...

Is this a permanent change?? Does anyone know something about this??
Each night ALL the other parts of the show went off without any problems....

If this has already been addresses somewhere else and I missed it I apologize.

hlbtimes2
06-01-2006, 01:59 PM
My husband was there a couple weeks ago, and he said the same thing. I was there the first weekend in May, and I dont think that part was there then either. But, with some much going on, I can't be 100% sure I didnt see it.

DisneyDustin22
06-01-2006, 03:23 PM
the explosions were creating avalanches on the poor guests waiting in line. :rolleyes:

chrisaustx
06-01-2006, 05:22 PM
I have not seen the fireworks off the matterhorn in weeks, the fire department may have told them to stop doing it.

Another Dimension
06-01-2006, 10:16 PM
No pyro from the Matterhorn can only be descrbed as WEAK! :|

AaronInCal
06-02-2006, 12:39 AM
According to other posts I have read on other boards when this question comes up, when the "cannons" are not fired from the Matterhorn during the Pirates section of the fireworks, it is either due to the wind or they did not have the proper "firework material" that they need. I guess it is a very specific type of shell to make sure it goes where they want it to. When that happens and they can plan for it, they will still fire the "cannon shells," but from behind Toontown. When there are no "cannons" during that time, probably the wind caused them to not have them at the last minute.

chrisaustx
06-02-2006, 09:51 AM
The fireworks from the Matterhorn have not happened in almost a month, its more than random occurance. My guess is that something happened and the fire department stopped it. If I see the Matterhorn firing this weekend, I will post my report on here. But from what I have seen, it might be gone for good. :(

charpaul
06-02-2006, 10:43 AM
That is what I was kind of afraid of - that they might have had to remove this effect from the show.
I was hoping that someone here might have some kind of official word (or even an unofficial rumor:rolleyes: ) about what has happened to the Pirate Battle Fireworks....
I really miss them. This part of the show just isn’t the same without them:crying:

chrisaustx
06-02-2006, 04:48 PM
I have noticed Disneyland has also cut several other scenes from the fireworks show. I have a video which was shot in May 2005, many effects have disappeared from May 2005 to the present time. Well I am going to Disneyland tonight, so I will let you know what I see.

Another Dimension
06-02-2006, 08:15 PM
I have noticed Disneyland has also cut several other scenes from the fireworks show. I have a video which was shot in May 2005, many effects have disappeared from May 2005 to the present time. Well I am going to Disneyland tonight, so I will let you know what I see.

Disneyland is infamous amongst most APs for cutting back fireworks shows as time passes by.. cutting them back from the former and famous temporary full-scale glory.

Disneyland cut back both Believe shows dramatically in the later seasons of each.. compared to how they were when they opened.
Which can only be for money saving reasons...

Disney makes the orignal shows (after weeks of general public tweaking)totally awesome, and then they wait 'til the massive word of mouth spreads... then Disney raises prices park wide and then Disney cuts back the overall expense of each show.
The changes aren't that noticable... some APs notice, but certainly not the vocal majority.. and certainly none of the infrequent or first timers notice at all... so Disney gets away with fireworks shows cut backs time after time and mostly the rabid online communit doesn't care it seems.

Most people think the show is exactly how they remembered it the first time, even with many missing shells.... just like those longtimers still think the DEP at DCA is the same parade that closed at DL in 1996. The exact same parade. "It was just like I remembered it at DL!!" :rolleyes:

After the first year, Believe was never the same.
Remember isn't exactly the same as it was last year.... it just happens. Because Disney apparently likes it to.

The amount of Fantasmic! pyro has been cut back several times.

I've got videos from 5 and 10 years ago that were still packed with classic F! finale pyro... yet millions and millions will still claim the show is exactly how they remember it. (Minus Ursula of course... :( ) ....and most people don't even notice anything missing or different, even with Ursula missing.

Disney thrives on that. If the Guests don't notice... it saves them money... while they further raise the prices on the already budget priced $9 hot dog & chips combo.

All that rabble said... I have a feeling that the launcher on the Matterhorn may just need some work or they just don't have the shells as we mentioned above.
Disneyland has run Remember... literally 100s of nights since May 2005... why only in the last month would the DLFD or AFD now make them remove major show effects 13 months later?

chrisaustx
06-02-2006, 10:26 PM
The Matterhorn did fire tonight, the pyro crew did a great job. Maybe they are only going to fire off the Matterhorn when the park is really busy.

ssmccullough
06-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Maybe, just maybe its a safety issue because the Matterhorn is made out of wood.

charpaul
06-03-2006, 06:31 AM
The Matterhorn did fire tonight, the pyro crew did a great job. Maybe they are only going to fire off the Matterhorn when the park is really busy.

They did not do it at all over Memorial Day weekend either. And the park was VERY busy that Sunday!!!

Another Dimension
06-03-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm glad the Matterhorn did fire last night.... it's such an awesome visual... even many times later. :cool:

chrisaustx
06-04-2006, 02:23 PM
The Matterhorn did fire again last night, Sat. 6/3/06. I took some photos of the fireworks show last night:
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com/gallery/1526643

Disney Vault
06-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Glad that effect wasn't taken away. But I would never see them get rid of that to cheapen the fireworks because it is very noticable.