PDA

View Full Version : Well we are home! And it IS the happiest place on earth! Trip report.

BCmomof3
06-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Welll....we are back and the children are sleeping in. It was GREAT! And I applied so many of the tips I learned here.... So I thought I would give you all some details about our trip...

We arrived late on Friday night at the Anaheim Marriott Suites. This hotel was about 1.5 miles from DL but the shuttle worked very well for us except one morning which I will tell you about.
We appreciated the bigger room (Our family of 5 needed it) and the beds were WONDERFUL so comfortable with beautiful white cotton duvets... (no bedspreads) it was like sleeeping in clouds. We also recieved a full breakfast buffet with our pkg.... and it was VERY good. Omlettes and waffles made to order, eggs, bacon etc... and the best fruit ....and fresh squeezed OJ!! It was so good and we drank so much they just placed a jug of it every morning at our table! LOL.
We fueled up every morning and this lasted us till late in the afternoon and then we would have an early dinner (wow do I ever miss that breakfast!).

We got to DL at 9:30 on sat. AM.... but it wasn't very busy! It had rained that morning and so I guess it had kept the crowds away. So we went straight to Indy....and walked on to the ride. What a mistake. It scared the bejeebers out of my 8 yr. old. Not a good first ride to go on in Disney!. So we went on the Jungle Cruise (hardly any wait) and then while the kids played on Tarzan I went to get FPs for Splash. We then went on HM (again no wait), Winnie and then got another set of FPs for splash. Then we went to tomorrowland, for Buzz we decided to stand in line because the posted wait was 20 min. What a mistake...the crowds were beginning to show up (I guess they realized it wasn't going to rain ....afterall) we were in line for about 40 mins....our longest line that whole day. We then went on Star Tours (we really liked that), and then got FPs for Buzz. By this time everything became VERY BUSY!!! It was about 1:30. So we went back to Splash and used the FP.....the posted wait time was 90 mins. The line was SO LONG.....wow. We walked passed everyone and right onto the ride! Twice!!! This is such a great ride!

We then went to CA following everyones advise about going there when things get crazy at DL and there were alot fewer people. We got FP's for Soarin and then went to see Alladin. WE only had to wait about 10 min. but the theater was FULL. What a great SHOW! DO not miss it! I wouldn't have made such an effort to go and see it if it had not been for the advise here! It was that good! The Genie was great! we then went on Soarin. I LOVE THIS RIDE!!!!! THIS WAS OUR HANDS DOWN FAVOURITE! We got anothe FP for Soarin. and then went DT disney and had dinner at a mexican place...it was the only place that didn't have an hour wait.... the food was so so...But there was sooooo much of it. And whats worse is the waiter conned us into ordering sides because he said our sandwiches didn't come with anything (he made it sound like we would be hungry). Well our sandwiches came with two full halves of chicken breast! IT WAS HUGE! we paid extra for the sides and didn't even touch them! We wasted so much food!!!!!!!! We learned our lesson about Disney Sized meals WOW. They made balloon creations for the kids and there was live entertainment....we enjoyed that part...
We then waddled back to Soarin. And found a place to watch the EP. IT WAS SO ABSOLUTELY MAGICAL!!!!!!!! The look on my children's faces when they were watching this incredible light parade was worth every penny for this trip!

We then headed back to DL and caught 3/4ths of the fireworks from in front of the train station. We then managed to get to fronteirland and find a spot for Fantasmic (10:30) behind the reserved terrace seating LOL. So we had the same view without the price.LOL. We enjoyed the show and parts were stunning....but after the EP and the fireworks I am glad we didn't pay to have desert and watch the fantasmic. It was great but not worth $20 a plate seating...especially since we were still stuffed from dinner...the childrens fav. show was EP (maybe because it was one of the first they saw????) followed by Alladin. We then went to Buzz and used our FP...the line-up was crazy..... but we walked on.
We then went back to our hotel..... I had planned to stay till closing (midnight) to experience the magic of closing but we were so tired and there were SO many people.....that seemed to be staying too (I guess they had arrived later) that I didn't think we would feel the magic of DL all to ourselves anyways ....

I will write about our next day later.

Crazy4DL
06-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Oh! total fun . . . .yay a trip report! :D

I LOVE Soarin' too!!! . . . and the Electical Parade is one of my all time favorite in the whole wide world. :D :p

evrythngwmn
06-01-2006, 10:26 AM
We then went back to our hotel..... I had planned to stay till closing (midnight) to experience the magic of closing but we were so tired and there were SO many people.....that seemed to be staying too (I guess they had arrived later) that I didn't think we would feel the magic of DL all to ourselves anyways ....

I will write about our next day later.

Just as an FYI for future trips the park doesn't actually clear out until at least half an hour sometimes closer to an hour from actual closing time. On midnight closing nights it's usually 1:30 a.m. when the last guest leaves the park.

oh, and good report by the way.

twist1980
06-01-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm glad to hear you had such a great time! Hopefully you'll keep going back again and again like the rest of us! Can't wait to hear the rest!

Frogberto
06-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Now this is great! This is why we all share information and trip reports are the most valuable of all.

Tell us if you also ended up using the Monorail at all, and if you stuck to a strict schedule, or a more relaxed schedule (sounds like you kind of made decisions on the fly), and also which tips you found the most useful!

Glad you enjoyed your time here!

BCmomof3
06-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi Frogberto

I don't have t9ime to continue my report yet.... but here are the answers to your question.

Yes we used the monorail 3 times. When we were in tomorrowland and going to CA and twice going back to Disneyland. I also found it easier to enter CA from the GCR when ever we were DT rather than thru the main gate.
We also used the railway whenever we wanted to get from new orleans to fantastyland....it seemed to work well.

I didn't have time to fool around with ridemax so I used the schedules from UO Guide..... I stuck to the schedule whenever we got to Disney on time in the AM. I used a different scedule everyday and skipped what ever we didn't want to do. We followed the scedule until around 11:00 every day (and then it would breakdown????). Then when it became VERY busy...we followed everyones advice ....used whatever FPs I had collected went to CA or TS island..... or to a show or redwood creek (when in CA).

I also found it very hot (remember I am a northener) and so I found Star tours, Soarin, Small world, HM, great places to hangout in line and ride to cool off.
So I would say I followed a schedule (sort off) in the AMs but it was generally go with the excellent advise found here + using FPs to fill in.

I want to go back!!!!!

nvmom
06-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Isn't DL just the greatest???!! I'm glad you had a wonderful time. Great report... keep it coming.

Elec Parade was down this past March. I'm hoping if we go next spring perhaps it will be going. We did catch it our first trip, March 2005. We loved it too!

nvmom

BCmomof3
06-01-2006, 10:21 PM
We took Sunday off because we had a 4 day hopper. So we went to Huntington Beach and rented a car for the day. We tried to get a convertable but there weren't any that fit 5 LOL! We had a wonderful time in spite of my 14 yr old burning the soles of her feet on the sand...ouch.

Monday we were up and at the gates at opening and followed the Unofficial Guide plan and went straight to fantasyland. We rode the MH and then while my older two continued to ride MH (they rode 5 times in a row with hardly any line!) I took my 8 yr old to ride Alice, the Tea party, and storybook canals. We then all met and rode PeterPan. We went to toontown and there was a long line-up for RR so we got fps and explored. There was Long line ups for Micky and Minnie homes (1 hour waits were posted !!!) but we saw pluto. We also saw Clarabelle and lined up to see her and just as it was our turn she walked off leaving a long line of fans! hmmmmm. We checked out Gags and then used our Fp for RR. We didn't feel thins ride was all that great! Considering the line-up! We then went to it's a small world and rode it twice in a row. Then we took the train to new orleans. Rode HM again. We got FPs for Splash and the kids took the raft to the island. We arranged to meet them 1.5 hours later.
So we took aLONG break with our feet up sipping a Mint Juleps..... VERY NICE!
We then walked to CA and got a Soarin FP and went to paradise pier. We rode the carosel, the jelly fish, the stinger and then it was time for our PS at Ariels. As we waited in the waiting area we saw several irate mothers trying to get in with out a reservation. Demanding a seat because they were leaving the next day or what ever..... I felt sorry for the hostesses.
We had a lovely dinner! My Dd had her picture taken with each princess (Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Snow White, Belle)....it was enchanting. I had the Cobb salad which was very good!
After the dinner on our way to soarin we stopped at Redwood Creek and the children played as the sun was setting... it was beautiful esp with that lovely guitar music in the background. We then went on Soarin just before the park closed and then rushed to DL. We found a good place to watch the fireworks from with a great castle view! It was so lovely....the nicest we had ever seen. After the fireworks we headed back to our hotel.
To be cont.

yellowrosedtxn
06-02-2006, 06:40 AM
Thank you for writing your trip report! I get so excited reading yours because mine is in just a few short weeks! I can't wait to read more!

Shelley

Wesley815
06-02-2006, 07:08 AM
We also saw Clarabelle and lined up to see her and just as it was our turn she walked off leaving a long line of fans! hmmmmm.I don't really know how you expect her to leave then? If she didn't have a host who was speiling that she'd be leaving soon, then pretty much her only option is to walk away or wave goodbye. If she stayed to see just your family, then what about the other 15 to 20 people around you? It'd never end.

I like how you said "it was very hot!", then you also expect characters to stay out all day. :confused: (most will only be out for 30 min at a time anyways)

honeymoon @disney
06-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Thanks so much for the report! Its great to experience DL from the viewpoint of a fellow B.C.er!

cfitz/pirates
06-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Wow Im glad you had fun,sounds very exciting. one question where did you get the mint julpes. :)

dlandnut
06-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Monday we were up and at the gates at opening and followed the Unofficial Guide plan and went straight to fantasyland. We rode the MH and then while my older two continued to ride MH (they rode 5 times in a row with hardly any line!)

MH? :)

Frogberto
06-02-2006, 01:23 PM
...MH? :)

I struggled with that one also, and I have to say, as an aside, I personally hate abbreviations. People on this site use way too many of them. At first I thought maybe she meant Haunted Mansion, and just typed too fast, but I think it stands for:

MatterHorn.

Bolivar
06-02-2006, 02:18 PM
I don't really know how you expect her to leave then? If she didn't have a host who was speiling that she'd be leaving soon, then pretty much her only option is to walk away or wave goodbye. If she stayed to see just your family, then what about the other 15 to 20 people around you? It'd never end.

I like how you said "it was very hot!", then you also expect characters to stay out all day. :confused: (most will only be out for 30 min at a time anyways)
Disney does so many, many things right that it is weird how wrong they get this. It is inexcusable to have someone stand in line for something and then just shut it down like that. "She needs a break", "It is hot" these may well be true but they aren't any concern of the five year old that has just stood in line waiting. This is a magic place, that isn't very magical. And this isn't a complaint about the character either, it isn't her fault -- it is a management issue. They need to hang a sign on the last person in line saying that he is the last person x will see, or have a CM stand last in line or have another person take over for the character, something.

disneyochem
06-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Disney does so many, many things right that it is weird how wrong they get this. It is inexcusable to have someone stand in line for something and then just shut it down like that. "She needs a break", "It is hot" these may well be true but they aren't any concern of the five year old that has just stood in line waiting. This is a magic place, that isn't very magical. And this isn't a complaint about the character either, it isn't her fault -- it is a management issue. They need to hang a sign on the last person in line saying that he is the last person x will see, or have a CM stand last in line or have another person take over for the character, something.

Yes, yes, yes! I completely agree! What a great idea. Why does Disney do something like this?

cfitz/pirates
06-03-2006, 07:02 AM
We also saw Clarabelle and lined up to see her and just as it was our turn she walked off leaving a long line of fans! hmmmmm.
We have had this happen a few times but their was always a CM there and we were told that we could stay in line for the next character that would be there in a few minutes.:) I know its upsetting to the kids when their favorite character leaves, I always told my DD that it was time for them to have tea and we will try to see them again:crying:

BCmomof3
06-04-2006, 09:06 PM
I am sorry MH does stand for Matterhorn sorry about that.....

Our last full day was Tuesday May 30. We planned to do Early entry and so we were up extra early had a large buffet breakfast and we were out waiting for the 7:20 shuttle at 7:15. There were several families waiting already. Well we waited we waited we waited......finally at 8:05 the shuttle arrived!!!!! It was a new driver and well he got lost or something!!!! Well it was the only time we had problems with our hotel shuttle but why did it have to be on our EE day?
So we got through the gates at about 8:30 We went to City hall and got a Birthday Sticker for my Son and then went back to Fantasy land and rode MH (Matterhorn)twice and pinocchio, and snow white, tea cups and the carosel. Line-ups started to become very long here so we went to frontierland. It had just opened and there wasn't anybody here! So we rode Thunder mountain Railroad 4 times! And then while my older two children continued to ride TMR I went and got FPs for splash and took my younger Dd on Winnie the Pooh. We then went to adventureland for another ride on Indy.
Things became more and more busy.....It felt that it was as busy as the long weekend....my husband said it was everyone trying to "outsmart" each other.....tuesday won't be busy lets go then LOL....Wandered around it was only 11:00 and we were looking for a "short line" haunted mansion looked good so we went on this, twice. The children then asked to go on Tom Sawyers Island again....longer this time....so we left them on the island for 1.5 hours while we went to CA to get soarin and Grizzley run FPs. We came back and went to hungrybear and relaxed by the river with an iced coffee.....it was soooo nice. We then went to the Golden Horseshoe to see Billy Hill and have lunch. I really liked being in this theater it felt really authentic "western". Billy was very funny and we enjoyed the show but we would have enjoyed more fiddling they really only played one piece "Witches Dream" and would have enjoyed more.....
The children then went on Splash (Using our FPs)...and then we went to Cal. Adven. We went on Soarin and then the Griz. Run 3 times...the line wasn't very long everyone must have been in DL. Anyways we got soaked (which we wanted) but it wasn't as much fun as Splash. The children then played in Redwood Creek until they were dry.
We then went to Turtle Talk...we spent some time in the animation studio (not enough time, but there are a limited number of stations and there were a lot of people waiting for a turn and many people wouldn't stop and give another person a chance.....this would be a wonderful place to spend sometime when the parks are empty......).... the children took the cartoon drawing class.... we then headed back to DL for Parade of dreams....
We found a place to sit by the Mad hatter statue in fantasyland. we were sitting down behind adults who were also sitting. A CM encouraged everyone to remain sitting so that the people sitting on the benches (many seniors) could also see....(fine with me)....well as soon as the parade started everyone in the front row stood up (mainly adults) to take pictures....so all the children behind them couldn't see! My Dd started to bawl (she had wanted to see this parade from day one.....I was skeptical that it could beat the Elec. Parade......but agreed to watch it)....I franticaly looked around and realized that if I had put my daughter on my Husbands shoulders it would block even more peoples views...Then I saw a tree! I hoisted Dd into the tree (she wouldn't block anyones view that way! It worked so well I hoisted the other two up too! It was perfect!!!!The princesses and characters all noticed my children in the tree (I guess it was unusualLOL....or else they realized these kids were desperateLOL) and would wave directly at THEM!!!! And some even mouth happy birthday to my Son! It was so special to my children it felt as if the parade was for them!
We then went to Innovations. Saw Asimov and enjoyed the many exhibits. We then went home we wanted to pack and bathe so we would be already in the morning...

The final day we were at DL at opening the children went to ride the Materhorn and thunder mountain....while I picked up FPs for Space Mountain for the older two and autopia for the younger two. The line-ups were so small that the children went on Space with out the FPs once and then the line-ups became longer so they used their FP but they were able to get another FP and use that one too. While we rode Autopia 3 times in a row for the same reason. We went on star tours again and then We then went to the Tiki room and had dole whips mmmmmm were they ever good....We went on its a small world twice and then we did our souveneer shopping....we bought micky ears, a cinderella dress etc
We had icecream on mainstreet ( I love that 1920's Gibson Ice Cream shop!)

We were so sad about leaving! But we had to be back at our hotel at 3:00 for our airport shuttle.....

My favourite ride was California Soarin! My Children's favourite was Space and Materhorn and star tours.
I loved all the details....the landscaping....music....shows.
The best deals? Dole whips! And the cinamon crispy tortilla chips ( a generous size is $2.99) and micky lollipops (5 for $3.95). Bring your own water!

My favourite places to eat?
The Gibsons icecream shop, the Hungry Bear and the Golden Horseshoe.

I loved disneyland and you are indeed lucky if you get to go on a reg. basis! I wish we could!

Wesley815
06-05-2006, 01:17 AM
I hoisted Dd into the tree (she wouldn't block anyones view that way! It worked so well I hoisted the other two up too!So your kids were sitting in a tree? Is that what you mean? Or was the tree just behind you guys?

Really odd and unsafe if they were just sitting on a branch in a tree. I'm surprised a CM didn't say something.

Not to be mean, but your writting sytle really leaves a lot of questions... you leave out details about certain things that kinda gives a weird impression about some situations.

disneyochem
06-05-2006, 08:03 AM
Not to be mean, but your writting sytle really leaves a lot of questions... you leave out details about certain things that kinda gives a weird impression about some situations.[/QUOTE]

But you were mean.

I enjoyed reading your reports, BCMomof3. I would imagine that your writing style mimics your speech pattern. I could almost 'hear' you telling us about your trip and had no trouble following your trip report. Please don't let the above comment stop you from sharing your Disney experience!

littlebugg
06-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Sounds like you guys had an awesome time. My DS loves Tom Sawyer Island also! Its his favorite after Indy. He would spend all day there if we let him. Great that you have the older ones to help give you a break too. I enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for sharing.

DangerMouse
06-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Not to be mean, but your writting sytle really leaves a lot of questions... you leave out details about certain things that kinda gives a weird impression about some situations.

But you were mean.

I enjoyed reading your reports, BCMomof3. I would imagine that your writing style mimics your speech pattern. I could almost 'hear' you telling us about your trip and had no trouble following your trip report. Please don't let the above comment stop you from sharing your Disney experience!

I completely agree. Wes has a history of negativity on this board. Don't let his nasty comments dissuade you from sharing. I'm so glad you had a great time and are willing to share with us. :D

MileHighAko
06-05-2006, 12:31 PM
....we then headed back to DL for Parade of dreams....
We found a place to sit by the Mad hatter statue in fantasyland. we were sitting down behind adults who were also sitting. A CM encouraged everyone to remain sitting so that the people sitting on the benches (many seniors) could also see....(fine with me)....well as soon as the parade started everyone in the front row stood up (mainly adults) to take pictures....so all the children behind them couldn't see! My Dd started to bawl...
This happend to us several times last week, every show or parade we went to see. We would get our kids all setup, and then the adults would get in the way. So sad. My son, who was sooooo excited to see Fantasmic! had a terrible time becasue he couldn't see a thing. The adults in front of him not only stood the entire time (even though there wasn't anyone in front of them), but they also wore their Mickey ears, making it even harder for him to see. How dissapointing it must have been for him. I'm glad you were able to make use of the tree for your kids. That's eactly what I would have done.

It's sad that people (mostly adults) have to be so pushy and rude at Disneyland. We were at DCA lined up for the Block Party Bash, had been waiting for 30 minutes, when a huge group of people came and pushed their way in between my family and a family about 3 feet from us. I had my infant daughter in the stroller next to the street so she could watch in comfort, and a woman pushing her toddler in a stroller came and rammed her stoller into mine! Lucky I had a good grip on my stoller and had the wheels locked, but this woman kept bumping into it repeatedly. I think she thought I'd move it over or something, and that ramming her stoller into mine was the acceptable way to aske me to do that. But I had been waiting there for 30 minutes and I wasn't going to squish my entire family any more, so I looked at her and firmly said "No!". Well, she turned to her large group of family/friends and they jabbered something... they were all speaking spanish so I have no idea what they said... and that was the end of that, but I saw that they were able to get the other family 3 feet from us to leave. I felt so bad for them.

Thanks for your report.