PDA

View Full Version : Monorail from L.A. to D.L.?

gn2dlnd
04-24-2002, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know if Walt Disney once offered to build a monorail from L.A. to Disneyland? I used to repeat this rumor until I realized I couldn't remember where I heard it. Blame it on the early 80's.

Ace
04-24-2002, 05:10 PM
that would be super expensive. they should build it from my house to tommorowland instead.

Gemini Cricket
Personally, I have never heard this piece of info.
:confused:
Here's a cool site on Disney Urban Legends:
http://www.snopes2.com/disney/disney.asp#disney

Maybe it says something here...
:)

Hyperboy
I've definitely heard this rumour as well, from Morrigoon (another MPer who has actually done some research on monorails). I have no idea where she heard this from, but it went something like Disney offering to help LA put in a monorail system as long as one of the stops was Disneyland, and LA county refused.

It could all be a load of hogwash (maybe I'll look at some urban legends websites), but you're definitely not the first I've heard it from. Any ideas, Goonie?

hB

AliKzam
04-24-2002, 06:52 PM
Well, unless I'm not caught up on my current events (and that's quite possible), it's only a matter of time before the Metrolink makes a stop in Anehiem. It already goes from L.A. to San Diego. And I think they're working on making go to Riverside. That's pretty much an underground Monorail.

Darkbeer
04-24-2002, 07:18 PM
Metrolink, and Amtrak both already stop in Anaheim, the station is located in the Parking lot of Edison Field.

As for the monorail "rumor" I remember years ago when the Anaheim resort planning was just started, and the work on the freeway, plus local transportation, there was talk of expanding the Monorail thru the Anaheim and nearby area, it didn't get very far due to costs..... But Las Vegas is starting work on its version.....

Lost Boy
04-24-2002, 08:21 PM
After Disneyland built the Monorail extention to the Hotel, the city of Los Angles was trying to figure out how to add high speed transportation to improve movement from Downtown L.A. to the Los Angeles Airport. Walt approached the city and suggested (he was very serious about this) that the Walt Disney Company and Alweg build an elevated Monorail from downtown to LAX. The city (stupidly) turned him down. His response was that the city was never again to approach him for any help in building any type of high speed, affordable transportation. This was in the old Herald Examiner and Times newspapers many years ago. So it is true that he offered to build a monorail, but not from L.A. to Disneyland, but from L.A. to LAX. :eek:

justagrrl
04-25-2002, 05:31 AM
I can't find it now - but there was a monorail company that offered, a long time ago, to build a monorail in the LA area at their own cost (to be re-cooped by fares I think). LA declined the offer. I don't think it would have gone to disneyland though...

and what does this have to do with anything? Just thought it might be part of how the rumor got started? (that is, if it is a rumor.)

Mad Hatter
04-29-2002, 08:43 AM
the reason the monorail was not built to LAX is because the city of LA made a deal with General Motors and Standard Oil,GM would sell LA buses at a low cost and SO would sell them fuel at a reduced price.that is also why LA took out the red lines and all the trolly cars it had.:mad: